I just tried recording my guitar into my computer. I tried running a cable from the back of my amp to my microphone jack on my computer which works alright for clean sounds, but distorted sounds just sound fuzzy. tried recording through a mic in front of the amp which made it a little better but was too bassy and still didnt sound the same. Didnt try the headphone jack yet but im figuring that would be the same as the port in the back of my amp.

the best thing i can do right now is go from my amp to my computer and use the amp plugin in ableton, still doesnt sound great tho.

What is the best way to record post fx guitar signal into the computer? Do i need an audio interface? preamp? direct box? I've done a little research but im not really sure.
You need a mic plugged into an audio interface. Running to the line-in on your computer is going to sound like garbage. Also never run the speaker output of a valve amp into a computer, you'll destroy the amp.
Quote by ThrashingDeath
You need a mic plugged into an audio interface. Running to the line-in on your computer is going to sound like garbage. Also never run the speaker output of a valve amp into a computer, you'll destroy the amp.

It's not a tube amp but thanks for the advice
What sort of amp? Are you plugging a speaker out directly to your computer?
FX Send sends the pre-amp signal of the amp, so you'd need to run a cabinet impulse in your daw after it. I've never been much a fan of MG's though, so I wouldn't expect fantastic results...
Quote by gibsonguru15
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-mg250dfx-stereo-combo-amp

im pretty sure this is the exact one, I have a wire running from the back of it (fx send i think) directly into my computer. probably would be better to use the headphone jack in the front, although probably still wont sound very good.

Using a poor amp into an input that isn't designed for what you're doing? No, it won't sound good.

Like I said earlier, read the stickies.