So I'm building an Ibanez RG560 which has an HSS configuration and I pretty much want the best of the both worlds. I want a good shred humbucker, I'm thinking DiMarzio/Tom Anderson vibe. For the single coils I want a fat sounding single coil for the neck and middle, ala James Tyler vibe with an awesome clean sound, I just dont know which one to choose lol. So what does UG think? Price doesn't matter much by the way.
Last edited by RBM01991 at Nov 10, 2014,
There is no way to know. People will chime in with what they like.

Regardless of what ol' Seymour or Dimarzio will tell you in marketing terms, most of pickup selection, is nuance. You can go online and try to find someone playing music that you like....but it is tough to decide.

You have to remember that the internet is a place where people claim to hear differences in lead-free vs 60/40 solder inside of the wiring.

Guitar gear survives upon a world of nuance that you can spend a lot of time on.

Output is probably your primary thing, then the EQ or the pickup. I don't know what "fat" sounds like to you....more bass? Who knows. Just go on youtube and listen to people playing...some do good demos, and some completely suck.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Nov 10, 2014,
When I built up guitars I used mostly Di Marzio. Not because they were the best but they were described more accurately so I knew what I was getting. They tell you the output and the general EQ curve as to highs mids bottom. Pickup descriptions are a place where people get to flex their adjective muscles. It baffles me too.
Honestly, contact the pickup makers you like via email and ask them. They're more than happy to help. They will only tell you about THEIR pickups, obviously.

FWIW, I did essentially what you're planning with a custom built HSS hardtail: I chose a Tesla VR-Extreme HB (splittable) for the bridge, and a pair of Tesla OPUS S-1 for the neck & middle. Worked out quite well.
Quote by bigblockelectra
...[ ]...You have to remember that the internet is a place where people claim to hear differences in lead-free vs 60/40 solder inside of the wiring.
...[ ].....
Quote by bigblockelectra
There is no way to know. People will chime in with what they like.

Regardless of what ol' Seymour or Dimarzio will tell you in marketing terms, most of pickup selection, is nuance. You can go online and try to find someone playing music that you like....but it is tough to decide.

You have to remember that the internet is a place where people claim to hear differences in lead-free vs 60/40 solder inside of the wiring.

Guitar gear survives upon a world of nuance that you can spend a lot of time on.

Output is probably your primary thing, then the EQ or the pickup. I don't know what "fat" sounds like to you....more bass? Who knows. Just go on youtube and listen to people playing...some do good demos, and some completely suck.

Ok, so I picked a humbucker, which is a Tom Anderson H3+, now for the single coils. This is kinda the sound I want out of the middle and neck, obviously the neck more than the middle but just so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajFItOic1Ko
dannyalcatraz's suggestion is good, I'd also go the simple route and just listen to stuff on youtube - you won't find one "The Definitive Pickup Comparison Video", but after you watch some it does give you an idea what to expect from various pickups. In some cases it's indeed small nuances, but sometimes it can be a clear yes/no (e.g. I've seen/heard multiple clips of the SD Invader for metulz and don't like its sound in any of them, it's completely not what I'm looking for).

And then if you have your choices narrowed down to a few (or even two) this is probably the best way to go, as you can directly compare the pickups. It's often small nuances indeed, but if you can choose, then why not pick the exact best fit
^^ the first bit (or the cleaner bit in the verse) just sounds like pretty standard vintage-y strat single coils

i'm guessing that's the bit you mean? the more distorted bit might be switched to the bridge pickup (even if it's still a strat).

Quote by bigblockelectra

LOL
Quote by bigblockelectra

Yeah and which direction the cable is plugged in.
Quote by RBM01991
Yeah the clean sound is really what I meant for the single coils.

Hard to recommend. This is what the guy says:

Regardless of what older musicians say about music today being "too-processed", they did all sorts of stuff back in the day as well, just not as much fix-it. The engineer on this song could have been doing all sorts of sorcery on the EQ'ing and compressing and what not.

That sound was fairly popular as you listen to 1980's era stuff. The single-coil compression with chorus sort of thing. Maybe just compression on that one without the chorus.

If you are dead-set on a certain sound, you could go as far as to find that Dann Huff guy online or the engineer from that album and see if they would answer an email as to what they did on that track. You aren't exactly talking about justin bieber-sized fame; many of these people become a lot more gracious towards the end of their career than in the time of big-sunglasses and having someone to open your pepsi.

I would just do what you did for the humbucker and find a middle and neck single coil that you like based on youtube demos. I think I could get about 90% of the way to that sound with my stratocaster. Is that the neck position or neck/middle? If that guy's equipment list is true, a 1963 stratocaster only has a 3 way selector doesn't it?