I usually just memorize all the notes played in one go. Super slow and without the proper rhytmn. And then once I have all the notes memorized, I start listening to the solo and slowly star putting the notes in the right rhythmn until I have it all down. I'm curious if anyoen has a different way? I could use a new method. This one takes forever!
When I do learn solos, which isn't often I have to say, I tend to take them in logical pieces, which can also be split down further if I need to do so. Then I tend to take those pieces and learn the first one, once I can do that learn the next piece and put the two together, then take the third piece and learn it, then put that with the bits I can already do, and so on and so forth until I can play the whole thing.

That's actually more or less how I learn anything, whether it's a solo or not doesn't actually make any difference to the process, now that I think about it.
I figure out what I can by ear, but I generally do the hard bits first. What I can't figure out, I look for tabs, but I don't think I've ever learned anything entirely by tabs.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
When I do learn solos, which isn't often I have to say, I tend to take them in logical pieces, which can also be split down further if I need to do so. Then I tend to take those pieces and learn the first one, once I can do that learn the next piece and put the two together, then take the third piece and learn it, then put that with the bits I can already do, and so on and so forth until I can play the whole thing.

That's actually more or less how I learn anything, whether it's a solo or not doesn't actually make any difference to the process, now that I think about it.

+1.

Good software for looping, time shift and pitch shift really helps a lot too.
Break it up.
Lick by lick/section by section.

I usually learn from tabs (a habit I want to break). If I have a good tab Ill slow the hard bits down to maybe 50% and put them on repeat, playing it over and over and over. Then just jump the speed up every now and then.

EDIT: Also the program "Amazing Slow Downer" is wonderful. Or you could settle for Audacity. It's great for slowing the actual song down/shifting pitch/putting sections on repeat/doing whatever you need to do to learn the part.
Last edited by wildozer at Nov 10, 2014,