Hey guys, i have an Epi LP Special 2 running through a Fender Champ 20. Im looking to upgrade once i get a job but i won't have enough money to upgrade both. I really like the look of a strat (maybe MIM standard strat). I heard amp improves tone but im still unsure which to upgrade considering my terrible rig. Should i get the MIM strat or upgrade amp?
I would upgrade my amp if I were you. But if you don't really like your guitar you could always get that and another amp later.
Quote by Fallenoath
I would upgrade my amp if I were you. But if you don't really like your guitar you could always get that and another amp later.

Got any recommendations for upgrading the amp?
I'm guessing you'd still count as a beginner? That being the case, I'd probably go for the better guitar. At the early stages of playing, it's more important to have a guitar that you love & want to play all the time. A better amp, and the better tone that goes with it becomes more important as your playing improves.

On the other hand, if you already like the guitar you have & find it comfortable to play then it could be worth going for it with the amp. Again, assuming you're still a beginner, I'd recommend a modelling amp - probably either a Vox VT (best for classic rock/blues), Peavey Vypyr (best for metal) or Fender Mustang (best for cleans). The Roland Cube also gets recommended a lot but I've never tried it so can't comment.
Quote by GaryBillington
I'm guessing you'd still count as a beginner? That being the case, I'd probably go for the better guitar. At the early stages of playing, it's more important to have a guitar that you love & want to play all the time. A better amp, and the better tone that goes with it becomes more important as your playing improves.

On the other hand, if you already like the guitar you have & find it comfortable to play then it could be worth going for it with the amp. Again, assuming you're still a beginner, I'd recommend a modelling amp - probably either a Vox VT (best for classic rock/blues), Peavey Vypyr (best for metal) or Fender Mustang (best for cleans). The Roland Cube also gets recommended a lot but I've never tried it so can't comment.

Yea I guess I'd consider myself a beginner. I've been playing for a year and four months now but I feel like I need something more from my rig. I'll look into the amps you mentioned.
I also wanted to be buy distortion pedals. Does upgrading the guitar or amp help improve the distortion tone?
If you are looking for searing shred guitar tone, shop for an amp or DME (digital multi effects) pedal that delivers the tone you crave.
Quote by LikeWater
I also wanted to be buy distortion pedals. Does upgrading the guitar or amp help improve the distortion tone?

Both can help with tone. But in my experience a amp yields more tonal changes then a guitar. Not to say a guitar doesn't make a difference but generally an amp will change the sound far more then a guitar. You can get better distortion from an amp if you search for the right one. Some amps are more for cleans/jazz and others are made for high gain and distortion tones.
Quote by LikeWater

Then get the Vypyr, which will provide you with some great distorted tones out of the box.

Alternatively, try something like the Zoom G3 - loads of drive & distortion tones, plus loads more for you to experiment with.