Hi all,

As the title suggests im looking to get my first 7 string guitar and I need some advice.

I really fancy an ibanez as ive always liked the look. I noticed one Ibanez RGIR27FEBK that I liked the look of. I noticed a few reviews mention they might have dodgy pointed frets?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Im looking for a new one ideally.

Open to suggestions my other brands if ibanez 7 strings aren't as good but ibanez would be my first choice.

I forgot to mention, im looking for a fixed bridge guitar. I don't use the whammy bar much and when I played my mates jackson which has a floyd rose, I found it went out of tune a lot (i know the floyd is not meant to but it did).
Last edited by lodgi at Nov 10, 2014,
I'm only going with what I heard here and not my own experience, but generally I heard that Iron Label Ibanez(es? I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE A PLURAL OUT OF THAT) are very solid overall. I heard there were occasional issues with frets on the cheaper models.

You might also check out the Schecter Blackjack SLS for example, they have thinner necks and from what I know they resemble Ibanez necks a bit more. I think the specs and price are comparable. http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/blackjack-sls/blackjack-sls-c-7-a-2013-12-05-detail (there's also a version with passive pickups)
^ That, or a used RG7620/7420. These go for like £300 sometimes on eBay and are MIJ, probably the best quality to price ratio around.
I think if you could check out Schecter. Really comfortable 7-string necks. Also, you could check out Chapman Guitars ML-7 S and ML-7 T . Bare bones, said to be top quality. They look good, sound good and well.. they're quite close to your budget.
Otherwise, used RG15271 is my vote too, and a RG7621.

I have to admit though, I've played a few top of the line made in Indonesia Ibanezes and there is nothing faulty with them, perhaps little sharp frets... but if you go to a store and buy one, you definitely should get it properly set up free of charge, that's the way I get mine anyways Also the.. made in China? ones are good, like 7321 or RGA7.
Last edited by Sakke at Nov 10, 2014,
Thanks for the advice people. Any reviews of the RGIR27FEBK?

Gonna check out the ones youve all said but was gonna go try out a Ibanez RGIR27FEBK i spotted in sheffielf on the weekend.

Also, what are your thoughts on active vs passive pickups?
Last edited by lodgi at Nov 11, 2014,
Quote by lodgi
Thanks for the advice people. Any reviews of the RGIR27FEBK?

Gonna check out the ones youve all said but was gonna go try out a Ibanez RGIR27FEBK i spotted in sheffielf on the weekend.

Also, what are your thoughts on active vs passive pickups?

Well, the Iron Label series is nice and solid, but I'd still rather go for the old ones, just cause there's so much more "guitar" in them to me. Also, the newer Ibanez 7 string necks, at least those I've tried, have been too thin. I like the older ones, for example the one on, according to Ibanez Wikia, 97-02 Ibanez Universe. I've tested a '99 Universe.

Depends on the pickups.. if it's Ibanez active booster or whatever it was on the RGA7, it's really poor and horrible. Every 7 I've tried with EMGs have had very nice pronouncing of the low B (also when tuned to A). It's totally a preference thing. I was converted from actives to passives myself, used EMGs for a long time.
A lot of people are talking about Ibanez Rg's here, and I'm sure they are great guitars, but have you considered the S series? Basically the same quality but the body is super thin, bringing the whole thing even closer to you. Ive played an rg at guitar center, then played a similar s, and just with that comparo I'd almost never buy an rg over an s....with some exceptions.

I own an Ibanez s7321qm and I love the thing to death. Great action, might not be overly satisfied with the pickups but everything on this guitar is quality
Quote by rtfk101
A lot of people are talking about Ibanez Rg's here, and I'm sure they are great guitars, but have you considered the S series? Basically the same quality but the body is super thin, bringing the whole thing even closer to you. Ive played an rg at guitar center, then played a similar s, and just with that comparo I'd almost never buy an rg over an s....with some exceptions.

I own an Ibanez s7321qm and I love the thing to death. Great action, might not be overly satisfied with the pickups but everything on this guitar is quality

There're only 2 7 string S models on sale right now though (at least on this side of the pond), without going used obviously. I don't think used S7321s are massively common either.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 11, 2014,
the iron label 7 i played felt pretty good IMO.

not a prestige, but for the money they seem solid.

there was a similar jackson that was there that i also played (same price) i wasn't quite as impressed with. just not the attention to detail.

bottom line you have to get what you want and fits you best.
I went to the store and tried out the RGFIR27 and Ive decided I dont like it. Tried it out through an Orange or-15 and I realised I dont like the sound of EMGs. I just found them to sound like the sound was coming from inside a metal can, and when I tried a strat (my current guitar) through the same rig I fealt the strat was a much better sound to me.

Also tried an S series, and while I like the sound more, I thought the quality of the finish was below par. I know the finnish is not as important to playability and sound, but the screw holes in the back were missing bits of paint here and there and it would have bothered me.

Also, I've kinda gone off the 7 string idea after trying them out. Think I want a 6 string now.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for me. My new requirements are;

Around £800, give or take £100. Fixed bridge. A fast neck. A guitar capable or drop tuning down to B.

Any help appreciated.
I think my Schecter Blackjack SLS suggestion still applies - if you're into "Ibanez-ish" style guitars but didn't like Ibanez themselves that much, I think it's worth trying if you can find one. There's also a passive version, but the SD Blackouts sound significantly different (generally could be described as less "sterile" I guess) from EMGs.

(the Banshee series are also really cool, although if you didn't like EMGs you'd probably want to look into the passive version)
Last edited by TheLiberation at Nov 18, 2014,
Quote by lodgi
I went to the store and tried out the RGFIR27 and Ive decided I dont like it. Tried it out through an Orange or-15 and I realised I dont like the sound of EMGs. I just found them to sound like the sound was coming from inside a metal can, and when I tried a strat (my current guitar) through the same rig I fealt the strat was a much better sound to me...

the orange or15 wouldn't have been my choice to play it with if you want high gain and low tunings. thats when you would play through a Peavey 6505, XXX, JSX, mesa rec or something even at least a Marshall DSL.

i don't really care for 7's and 8's so i understand preferring the 6 stringers.

or you could try a baritone if you want to go low.