Basically, I'm looking for a noise gate (it's about time) and I've heard nothing but divine-tier praise about the ISP Decimator. My question is relatively simple: is it actually that good and does indeed beat all other noise gates out there? It is quite expensive, and I'm ready to save a bit more if it's actually worth the price, but would just like to hear any more detailed opinions.

If that's in any way important, I play sort of prog/doomy metal, so it's important to me that it will cut back the noise (I use quite a bit of gain but not "gain knob at 10 chainsaw massacre" level) but also won't interfere with quieter parts.

Also wondering how does the MXR Smart Gate rate in comparison? Also heard very good things about it and MXR stuff is generally very solid.
ISP is great for stop-start riffing, if you're looking to just cut out the amp hiss, throwing in an NS-2 in the loop will be fine and a lot cheaper. If you're doing rhythmically technical chugging, the ISP is the way to go.
Are you looking for a simple gate - i.e. it's off when you're playing anything and on when you're not - or something that compares the input signal to what's coming out after the pre-amp? Simple gates work better to stop hearing hiss when you're not playing.

I think from what you're describing you may want the Boss NS-2 4 cable method or the ISP G-String Decimator rather than the regular Decimator. I know the G-String and think the NS-2 does a signal comparison to dynamically cut out noise and hiss while you're playing.
I used to use an isp decimator and its was good and bad, depending on how you use it.

You can have it set high that will cut out all background noise but that in turn kills touch sensitivity and sustain.

You can turn down the gain on the amp abit and then in turn the threshold knob on the decimator and that will fix the issue.

I wouldnt say that its great for stop start riffage as there is a slight delay that used to bug me from when you mute the strings to when the isp mutes the background noise.

Just my opinion though
Quote by metalmingee
Are you looking for a simple gate - i.e. it's off when you're playing anything and on when you're not - or something that compares the input signal to what's coming out after the pre-amp? Simple gates work better to stop hearing hiss when you're not playing.

I think from what you're describing you may want the Boss NS-2 4 cable method or the ISP G-String Decimator rather than the regular Decimator. I know the G-String and think the NS-2 does a signal comparison to dynamically cut out noise and hiss while you're playing.

Rather the latter option, as I said I don't use extreme amounts of gain but it's without doubt a metal tone (very loosely speaking I guess I'm somewhere between Dream Theater and old Opeth level of heaviness) and it is a bit hard to mute all unwanted noise at times.

Maybe I'm not doing strictly technical chugging, but the "crystal clear" sound of such bands does appeal to me. Generally something like the modern John Petrucci rhythm tone is more or less what I aim at - fat and massive, but at the same time clear and articulate.

So, summary: while of course it's also nice to have it just cut back the noise when not playing, I need the noise gate mainly to get rid of unwanted noise while playing and tighten things up a bit.
A gate may help some but it sounds like changing/enhancing your muting technique would be the best solution. A gate won't help with open strings ringing out.

I use my Decimator to get rid of pre-amp hiss on my 5150 but that's all it does. Improper mutes ring loud and clear so to speak :-)
Yepyep, I know. But I also had a chance to play with a noise gate and it definitely cuts down a lot of the noise I don't want. I'm not trying to make up for poor technique, don't worry
Cool. Then go for it. The G-String is supposedly the best but it's expensive. You may be able to find a used first generation one.

What amp and pickups are you using? Your pedal power supply may be adding noise as well.
Look into MXR's noise gate as well, I had good results with that one when playing live.
I find the decimator is best used with a regular gate in the loop. Plug the guitar straight into the decimator (so you can set it as low as possible) then set the gate in the loop to cut any noise from pedals and the amp (this is exactly what the G-String does).
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Nov 12, 2014,