Hi all,

I was trying to find essays on popular rock / metal songs like metllica, judas priest , iron maiden, slayer, sepultura even modern stuff like alice in chains. I can't find anything. No alliteration or descriptions relating to melodic device or harmony between riffs, modes etc. Or even tabs with annotation.

Has anyone else experience this? All essays appear to discuss the musicology rather than focus on the composition its self.
So far the responses here are all spam.

If you can't stick to the topic at hand then don't post. If you want to trade one liners to validate your wit, try the pit.
Quote by MinterMan22

ot: where are you looking because there are definitely papers on rock and stuff and i have accidentally come across them when researching musicology things

Quote by 094568029434geo
All essays appear to discuss the musicology rather than focus on the composition its self.

hint: pop composition = rock composition
pop = rock in academia
Last edited by captainsnazz at Nov 11, 2014,
Quote by captainsnazz
ot: where are you looking because there are definitely papers on rock and stuff and i have accidentally come across them when researching musicology things

pop = rock in academia

This is your best bet, TS.
Quote by captainsnazz

pop = rock in academia

This is true due to a combination of people in music academia continue to perpetuate the notion that anything that isn't classical or jazz (though this is only jazz professors, since classical professors shun jazz as well) is inherently inferior and the fact that rock composition and pop composition are, in fact, by and large very similar.

Quote by 20Tigers
So far the responses here are all spam.

If you can't stick to the topic at hand then don't post. If you want to trade one liners to validate your wit, try the pit.

Your post wasn't related to the topic at hand either.
Quote by theogonia777
This is true due to a combination of people in music academia continue to perpetuate the notion that anything that isn't classical or jazz (though this is only jazz professors, since classical professors shun jazz as well) is inherently inferior and the fact that rock composition and pop composition are, in fact, by and large very similar.

You make it sound like it's derogatory which it isn't. In musicology, pop isn't a genre, it's a classification that refers to music from popular culture. In broad terms they break up music into folk, pop and art music. In the grand scheme of things pop is actually probably the most particular group when it comes to compositional style. Rock and the genre of pop (whatever that is) are pretty similar when you put them in the context of history. They are from very closely related traditions.

I'm not saying academia doesn't look down on pop music I'm just saying that lumping rock and pop together isn't one of the ways they do it.

Edit: I just read the last bit and I realized you basically said this.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Nov 12, 2014,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You make it sound like it's derogatory which it isn't. In musicology, pop isn't a genre, it's a classification that refers to music from popular culture. In broad terms they break up music into folk, pop and art music. In the grand scheme of things pop is actually probably the most particular group when it comes to compositional style. Rock and the genre of pop (whatever that is) are pretty similar when you put them in the context of history. They are from very closely related traditions.

I'm not saying academia doesn't look down on pop music I'm just saying that lumping rock and pop together isn't one of the ways they do it.

Edit: I just read the last bit and I realized you basically said this.

I mean, rock music evolved from prior pop music like rockabilly and country, then rock was pop during the 50s-80s, and then modern pop evolved from rock. That sort of thing.
In the beginning
Back in nineteen fifty five
Man didn't know 'bout a rock 'n' roll show
And all that jive
The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tschaikovsky had the news
He said let there be sound
There was sound
Let there be light
There was light