Whats good fine people?! Just got an RG8, was looking to use it for a couple different purposes. Naturally I dig Animals As Leaders, meshuggah and they were part of my decision to get an 8 string. But, I was also looking to use the guitar to play some other music that is geared towards 7 strings. ( periphery, whitechapel, etc.)

After getting the RG8 I cant possibly believe Tosin plays in E on his low string with the standard gauge strings the guitar comes with. Even at F & F# the stock strings feel like spaghetti to me.

Now some of the bands I want to play along with/learn are actually in dropped tunings. I increased the string gauge to a .64 on the B and a .74 on the F. Im usually pretty good with setups, although this bridge is new to me, and even at that those gauges, its borderline on tuning stability.

Question is where am I going wrong? Im going to upgrade the pickups very soon but this thuing feels borderline unplayable on the F, its ok on the B, but if I drop tune the B to A for example the sound goes to crap. Do I just need a proper setup or is there something I missed. I keep reading posts and blogs about going to .80-.86 for the dropped tunings involving small mods to the bridge and tuners. Is that what I need to do to achieve what I'm driving for?

Sorry for the long post. P.S.- Im used to 10-52 to 12-60 gauges on my other guitars.
Considering the RG8 is a 27" scale (a bit short for an 8 string really) I'd be using at least an .80 on the 8th string, and a .59 or .60 on the 7th. The RG8 has a ferrule on the 8th string built to hand a bass string, you'll just have to drill out the tuning peg a little to put in an .80.

I didn't have too much trouble in all honesty with Ernie Ball's 10-74 set in drop half step, but standard with the low E is floppy, yes. As far as setup with the bridge what I found that works is measure the distance from the 17th fret wire to the bottom of the string and you should have 5/64ths of an inch on the 8th, 4/64ths on the 7th and 3/64ths on the rest.
I'm in the same boat.
I even bought $22 Circle K strings that would supposedly be the end all set. am a

gi

a
n
t

fa

g
g
g
g
g
g
gg