I am getting ready to start using my Zoom 1608 recorder to record my gypsy jazz acoustic guitar for some projects. Can anyone recommend a good multi-pattern condenser mic that gives good recording quality. I only have dynamic mics at this point.
Is it only to record acoustic guitars?
Is your recording space treated?
What's your budget?
Yeah, it's for acoustic guitar at the moment. The space isn't treated and I'm looking to spend under 200 bucks. I just want to get some decent quality recording to put things up on my website eventually. Possibly even Youtube. My recording gear is an all in one type, so I don't have a fancy interface to the computer with nice pre-amps. I don't really have a super quality signal chain, so an expensive mic would be a waste. I would just go to a real studio for high quality recording. I just want a decent mic for this purpose.
Quote by Vince Marrone
Yeah, it's for acoustic guitar at the moment. The space isn't treated and I'm looking to spend under 200 bucks. I just want to get some decent quality recording to put things up on my website eventually. Possibly even Youtube. My recording gear is an all in one type, so I don't have a fancy interface to the computer with nice pre-amps. I don't really have a super quality signal chain, so an expensive mic would be a waste. I would just go to a real studio for high quality recording. I just want a decent mic for this purpose.

Your recording rig has decent pre-amps and whatnot built into it. Why exactly do you want multiple patterns? Just curious.

As for cheap multi-pattern mics go, there are only so many. This one is just above your budget but would be pretty good for getting started: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/condenser-microphones/audio-technica-at2050-multi-pattern-large-diaphragm-condenser-microphone

This doesn't have multiple patterns, but you get two mics for a good price. I use Sterling Audio mics and they're really great (used to be Groove Tubes, then GC/MF bought them and relabeled as a house brand). You can get some great acoustic recordings with these two. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/recording-microphone-packages/sterling-audio-st55--st31-condenser-mic-package?rNtt=sterling%20audio&index=1
I have a Behringer B2 Pro and as long as you don't mind the logo it's a solid, decent sounding mic and is as close to your budget as I think you're going to get.
CAD M179.

Honestly, nothing else should even be considered in that price range.

You could probably pick up two and do some nice two-mic recordings of your acoustic, or use one for vocals and record both at the same time.
I heard that the CAD M179 has power draw that some phantom power units can't really supply. I have read that some noise issues can result from this. I really don't know as I have never owned a condenser before. Do you use a dedicated preamp with phantom power? My all in one recorder has phantom power but I don't know what current draw it can handle.
Also, the reason I was going for a multi-pattern is I'm trying to record a nice full acoustic track, then overdub the head (on acoustic), then maybe a harmony part as well as a solo, all with the acoustic. I want to try and do this with one mic at a time to keep it simple and not deal with phasing issues. I figured, maybe in omni mode, I can get a nice sound and experiment with different pattern to see what works with my recorder and room. I have been playing guitar for over 30 years, but I'm brand new at recording acoustic guitar, as you all can tell. Is it sensible to do what I am thinking, or do I absolutely need two mics in stereo for this project?
That's the first time I've ever heard of that being an issue with the M179.

I've used mine with several preamps, but yes, I currently run it through a dedicated preamp (Peavey VMP-1 or Seventh Circle Audio A12b/N72s).