I have a JB Player strat that I'm thinking on modding into a metal guitar. Mostly I want to put a humbucker in the bridge, maybe the neck position. I can't recall but it seems like the body is routed out pretty wide but I have a Dremel, I could route out the pickguard and body no problem to make things fit. Is this an easy thing to do? Meaning, if I can make it fit, is that all that matters?
I've done a few of that style of mod; in one, the pickups are worth about twice as much as the rest of the guitar. I've found a sharp chisel and a mallet a whole lot easier than a dremel for jobs of that size. I also make my own pickguards these days, but there is plenty of choice in ready-made ones
Quote by acid_vaynes
So basically shove pickups in, wire them as the singles were, and you're done?

Basically, but you will probably want to change the pots to 500K and the tone cap value.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Basically, but you will probably want to change the pots to 500K and the tone cap value.

Alright, that makes sense. Thanks!
Quote by acid_vaynes
Alright, that makes sense. Thanks!

And add a series/single or series/parallel switch on a push-pull pot for good measure.
Quote by acid_vaynes
To split/ground out the hums into singles?

Yes, it just adds a bit more tonal flexibility.
As I'm reading it would seem I need a 500k for the hum and 250k for the singles (thinking now about HSS instead of HSH). Would I need to replace Volume Tone Tone with Volume Volume Tone?
Quote by acid_vaynes
As I'm reading it would seem I need a 500k for the hum and 250k for the singles (thinking now about HSS instead of HSH). Would I need to replace Volume Tone Tone with Volume Volume Tone?

Good question. I'm not very good with three-pickup guitars, so I'll let someone else answer that one. My only three-pickup (SSS) guitar is wired with one tone and one volume that serve all three pickups, plus a switch that will switch in the neck pickup to give neck + bridge or all three.
Seymour Duncan makes a small humbucker that you can fit in a single coil slot. It's called the Hot Rails. Iron Maiden uses them. I put one in my MIM strat and it's awesome.
Those cost more than the entire setup I was looking at before (pups and pots, etc). I don't want anything fancy, and I don't mind routing out my pickguard, the body cavity is plenty big enough for the humbucker in the bridge position. I just need wiring advice :/
Ok idk what I was looking at before but the Hot Rails may be the best way to go here. Then just replace all the pots with 500k and be done with it!
Just in case anyone is watching still, I ended up buying a set of Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups (bridge and neck). Had to have a custom pickguard made since I'm left-handed (go Warmoth!), new 3-way blade-style switch, new 500k pot, new jack. Totally rewired everything. Installed the pups sans Tone control so it's JUST the volume knob and nothing else (located in the middle [Tone1] slot so I don't hit it all the time).
Got all that soldered up, set the intonation for Drop C, and everything is great so far!