my band just bought a 19 foot cargo van for gigging around town and not too far away. I brought the idea of a smaller trailer to free up space in the van and the drummer freaked out and told me he "won't keep his kit in a trailer unless it's climate controlled" which is absolutely ridiculous to me and i argued with him for awhile and pointed out that probably every band that has ever toured has had ALL their shit in a trailer at some point. So what are your experiences with touring and keeping your drums in a trailer? Not going to hurt them at all so long as their in cases?
The reason for him saying that is that changing temperatures can cause the wood to warp, leading to bad stuff like not being able to fit heads on, uneven bearing edges etc. which will ruin the sound of the drums.

However I would say he's overreacting, since the temperature change shouldn't be that big except for overnight, and even then if the cases are insulated it should be fine
Unless he has a hand made exotic kit, tell him to shut up. I've hauled drums for 20 years in every mode of transportation possible. Just let the heads get to room temp. Does he think that the manufacturer shipped them from some foreign country in air conditioned boxes? How about playing outside in the summer sunshine? Playing outside in the cool evenings? Hell, the damn kick drum supports its own weight/tom weight/etc, and you kick the crap out of it. If that won't warp it, nothing will. Oh, and the big boys throw their drums in the belly of jet liners, unpressurized and cold as hell, they seem fine.
I've been playing drums for over 30yrs. Never had a problem! They are by nature pretty tough peices of gear, look at what they put up with! As long as that trialer is WATER TIGHT, I don't see a problem. Hard cases are always a good idea. Now, if this guy's got something really expensive or exotic like someone else mentioned, I think I'd just get a different rig to go to work with.
Quote by zeek7pc
Unless he has a hand made exotic kit, tell him to shut up. I've hauled drums for 20 years in every mode of transportation possible. Just let the heads get to room temp. Does he think that the manufacturer shipped them from some foreign country in air conditioned boxes? How about playing outside in the summer sunshine? Playing outside in the cool evenings? Hell, the damn kick drum supports its own weight/tom weight/etc, and you kick the crap out of it. If that won't warp it, nothing will. Oh, and the big boys throw their drums in the belly of jet liners, unpressurized and cold as hell, they seem fine.

That's funny you mention the bass drum warping. I actually did have that happen once. It was an old "Crest" set with one mounted tom on the left atop the bass drum. I'm pretty sure this thing was in set up position most of it's life (it was while I owned it). But it warped on bottom where the spur mounted up. Still did not interfere with the functionality or sound. So my morale...when it's under stress, tear her down and lett 'er rest once in a while. But yeah I do agree with what you say.