Hi everyone,

Next month I'm planning to buy an amplifier. I tried HT-5 at the music shop and was really cool. I liked the tone and I liked HT-20 more. So I started searching Blackstar.

First I was thinking that the HT-20 will be enough for me (even HT-5 but I liked HT-20's tone more) but after some research I noticed that HT-40's have voicing options. Fortunately, some people say that sound change can be easily achieved by using some pedals. So I decided to stick with HT-20 until yesterday. Yesterday I found a used HT-60 Soloist. It is about 2 years old and it is cheaper than new HT-20. Prices like, new HT-20 is about $750 and used HT-60 is about $500. Actually it is cheaper than a new HT-5R too.

Now, I have some questions.

I generally use that amplifier at home but I can buy an attenuator with the price difference and with attenuator I can crank up the volume. Does it make sense to buy the HT-60? Or should I stick with HT-20?

My main style is like: Dream Theater, Camel, Pink Floyd.
I also have Boss GT-8 and Boss OS-2.

By the way, currently using Fender Champion 300 amplifier.

Thanks,
Quote by archimonde
I generally use that amplifier at home but I can buy an attenuator with the price difference and with attenuator I can crank up the volume. Does it make sense to buy the HT-60? Or should I stick with HT-20?
It would make sense to buy an amp that sounds good and turning the volume down with the volume control, you don't want power tube distortion for playing that stuff.

Also an attenuator won't make a guitar amp sound better at low volumes.
Quote by archimonde
Where do you live and what's your budget?

'cause you might just wanna get a used 2ch recto or a tremverb or a mark V (better if the big one but the 25w one would work as well)
FWIW, the HT-60 does have an emulated output jack on the back(can be switched from 1x12 to 4x12). Haven't tried it personally, so have no idea what it's actually like to use.
^ the emu speaker output on the HT-5 sucks very hard.
I wouldn't keep my hopes up about the HT-60's being any better.
Quote by Spambot_2
It would make sense to buy an amp that sounds good and turning the volume down with the volume control, you don't want power tube distortion for playing that stuff.

Also an attenuator won't make a guitar amp sound better at low volumes.
Where do you live and what's your budget?

I'm planning to use attentuator to crank up the volume. So it sound good at higher volumes (for power tube distortion) but like you said, I don't need that distortion.

I live in Turkey. My budget is between $500-$750.

Quote by Spambot_2

'cause you might just wanna get a used 2ch recto or a tremverb or a mark V (better if the big one but the 25w one would work as well)

Cheapest used Mesa amplifier I found is about $1500 .

You can enter the site below for used amplifier prices at my country:

http://www.srvmusic.com/guitaramp.htm
So, what about ht-60 stage which has 3 preamp tubes. I found an used one for $575. Which is a little expensive than ht-60 soloist I found.

Does it worth?
Well those ht5 & ht20 are hybrid amps but you might like the way they sound. The emulated out on their artisans series is supposed to be fantastic not sure about the ones your considering. That bugera maybe a clone of the peavey JSX amp, im not sure. May run into reliability issues with them, depends on your luck. Are there any jetcity or laney tube stuff to be found where you at?

Alternatively, since you are using the gt8, have you considered getting one of the tech 21 character series pedals & placing it in its fx loop? Getting an attenuator to bring the volume down to bedroom levels seems like a waste to me but its your call on that. The headphone out is always compensated on the gt units, a cheap mixture or a Y adapter to sum the left & right outputs to single stereo output & decent set of heaphones with tech21 stuff to serve as amp sim, could be a cheaper route.
Here's what one of those tech21 pedals sound like direct:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_yxvmAPvQ
Quote by archimonde
So, what about ht-60 stage which has 3 preamp tubes. I found an used one for $575. Which is a little expensive than ht-60 soloist I found.

Does it worth?
No it isn't worth it if you ask me.
Also the whole HT series is hybrid and, imo, sounds pretty dull.
Quote by archimonde
and I also found an used Bugera 333XL-212 for $500. What about that?
Will sound good, but bugera has a shit ton of reliability problems, especially the first batches, and you wouldn't wanna buy a bugera amp without a warranty on it, 'cause you'll be needing it.

Also 2x12 combo's are heavy as hell.
Quote by steven_ferns84
The emulated out on their artisans series is supposed to be fantastic
Also the HT series is supposed to be all tube.
Quote by steven_ferns84
That bugera maybe a clone of the peavey JSX amp, im not sure.
Yep.

The speakers will be worse though.
Quote by steven_ferns84
Are there any jetcity
Yeah this may be an idea.
Quote by steven_ferns84
a cheap mixture or a Y adapter to sum the left & right outputs to single stereo output
No you don't wanna use a Y cable to sum signals, ever, you'll get a very weak signal and depending on the power the outputs are putting out you might as well fry an output section or two.

Also you would need an insert cable, meaning 2xTS to 1xTRS, where only the ground is in common to the TS's and TRS, and you aren't summing anything.

That way you could use stereo headphones and get a signal from both channels without summing anything.
Ok, I'll pass the Bugera.

I don't consider to buy tech21 preamp pedals. I think Blackstar's sound better.

There is a Jet City JCA20H + Cabinet for $450. Since it is one channel and has no effects loop, I didn't interested in.

The Blackstar HT-60 Stage I found is only 2 months old and it is in excellent condition. The price is very good, I think.

I'll try the HT-60 next week but I'm still looking for another options.
Another thing I want to ask is, after buying an amplifier, should I sell the Gt-8 and buy separate pedals or stick with gt-8?
Go with the HT-60, make sure you test it out long enough for tubes to warm up. You could possibly just turn it down.
You would want a jet city 2ch 20w or 50w amp (don't remember the model numbers, sorry), not the single channel one.

They're more flexible and they have an fx loop.

I still wouldn't get an HT-60, though if you fell in love with it just buy it and be done with it.
I looked for jca22h (20w 2channel one) but I can't find used ones. New ones are too expensive for me.

What about other question?

Quote by archimonde
Another thing I want to ask is, after buying an amplifier, should I sell the Gt-8 and buy separate pedals or stick with gt-8?
If you like the GT-8's sound keep it, otherwise sell it and get other pedals.
Quote by archimonde
Hi everyone,

Next month I'm planning to buy an amplifier. I tried HT-5 at the music shop and was really cool. I liked the tone and I liked HT-20 more. So I started searching Blackstar.

First I was thinking that the HT-20 will be enough for me (even HT-5 but I liked HT-20's tone more) but after some research I noticed that HT-40's have voicing options. Fortunately, some people say that sound change can be easily achieved by using some pedals. So I decided to stick with HT-20 until yesterday. Yesterday I found a used HT-60 Soloist. It is about 2 years old and it is cheaper than new HT-20. Prices like, new HT-20 is about $750 and used HT-60 is about $500. Actually it is cheaper than a new HT-5R too.

Now, I have some questions.

I also have Boss GT-8 and Boss OS-2.

By the way, currently using Fender Champion 300 amplifier.

Thanks,

Hi,

I have the ht20. It sounds great and will fit the styles you enjoy. 20 watts is very loud! It has a master volume so you do not need attenuation. I would recommend getting a different speaker, such as a celestion vintage 30 for a clearer sound. If you want to know something specific, please feel free to ask me.
^ yeah, though they don't have the 2ch 20 and 50w combo's in stock at the moment.

If I was you I'd wait for them to be back in stock.
^ Yeah stuff on thomann goes in and out of stock all the time. if you're in no rush, just wait.
Ok, I will try the Jet City. There is an used JCA20H at the store where I will try the HT-60.

About thomann.de, I can purchase the amplifier from there. They are shipping to my country (plus €30 shipping and %18 VAT). But before I need to try the amplifier.

I searched on youtube but I couldn't find good tones with that amp. Especially for the tone I'm looking for. (e.g. Dream Theater) But there are plenty Blackstar videos that sound good to me and also tried a Blackstar and liked it.

Should I look for Jet City JCA22H (22W version) or Jet City JCA50H (50W version)? Since I will use the amplifier mostly at bedroom, I think 22W fits to me but what about their tone/sounding? (some people are saying that 6L6's are better than EL84)

Another question is why are the Jet City's are too cheap? I mean JCA22H has 5 + 2 = 7 vacuum tubes, it's all-tube amplifier and it's cheaper than Blackstar HT-5 which has 1 + 1 = 2 tubes. I know, I shouldn't only look for how many tubes in the amp and higher price doesn't mean better amp but it doesn't make sense to me. Plus the Jet City has the Soldano sign.

Anyway, I will decide after I try the Jet City. It seems I won't find a JCA22H or 50H but if I like the 20H than I will purchase the 22H or 50H from thomann.de
The Jet City JCA20 is a single channel amp that has hard-rock type gain on hand (think 1980's Marshall tones). The JCA22H is a 2 channel amp that has a lead channel and the regular channel the JCA20 has. It can do much higher gain than the 20H.

I don't know how they are so cheap in Europe, they are a USA based company and they cost more over here. They are very well made amps and sound better than the Blackstar HT series IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_C4vcBinczA
I dunno why they're so cheap either- as you said, normally US stuff is cheaper in the USA.

Don't quote me on this, but Thomann has probably already included the VAT in the price. I know it does for the UK.
Yeah thomann's prices include taxes already if you're in the EU.

Jet City's aren't less expensive in the USA 'cause even if they are based there, the amps are made in china or around there and then they get sent to thatever retailers directly without returning to the USA.

In turn, a mesa here costs a shit ton on money more than over the pond.

The JCA22 is a 20w amp with 2 channels, not a 22w amp.

For only €50 more I'd get the 50w one, I'm not a fan of EL84's in high gain amps.
Quote by Spambot_2

Jet City's aren't less expensive in the USA 'cause even if they are based there, the amps are made in china or around there and then they get sent to thatever retailers directly without returning to the USA.

For only €50 more I'd get the 50w one, I'm not a fan of EL84's in high gain amps.

Yes, but almost any USA based company that makes products over seas is cheaper in the USA than any other country.
^ agreed. there are plenty of USA-based companies which get stuff made in China (or wherever) and it's still generally more expensive in Europe.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ agreed. there are plenty of USA-based companies which get stuff made in China (or wherever) and it's still generally more expensive in Europe.

dave knows
Did someone say Jet City? I own both the 22H and the 100HDM and they're totally different beasts, however the JCA 22 will hold up in a band situation, I don't think they'd hold up at higher volumes as well as a 50W would though, mainly because of the EL84's (Had my 22H up to 6 at rehersal yesterday and it sounded flatter at higher volumes. I do like the 50W though, it's a decent wattage.

With a tube swap they're pretty solid also.

They're also all tube unlike the Blackstars which are Hybrid (Not sure if that's an issue for you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOhLUQGjByI

Here's a video of it holding up in rehearsal settings also.
Quote by Spambot_2

I mean 20w, that was typo .

Thanks for every answer.

So, if I buy a JCA50H which cab should I buy? Weight limit for international shipping is 30kg. So probably JCA50H bundle (That comes with 24S+.)(http://www.thomann.de/intl/jet_city_amplification_jca50h_bundle_1.htm) will exceed that limit.

What about that http://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm?

Since the 2x12 cabinets are about 30kg, I don't want to risk the purchase. Are 1x12's Ok? Or should I find a 2x12 at my country?

Thanks,
where are you buying from?

I never even considered the weight when i ordered from thomann, i just bought it. They sent it just fine. I'm in the UK, though, maybe it's different for your country?
What weight limit? I just bought the new HB 2x12 Vintage cab plus few other stuff and they are currently on their way but in two different packages. And a lot of people have bought internationally their HB 4x12 cabs which are clearly over 30kg alone.
You want a harley benton g212 vintage.
Or possibly a g112 vintage if space will be a problem there, but I'd get the 2x12.
I will order from Thomann. The weight is not problem for Thomann, only shipping fee changes.

I live in Turkey and the customs are very strict and some people had some issues about that. Also If I want to buy something expensive than €1500, I need to do extra procedures in customs and it will cost me much more.

Actually first I was afraid about buying things from thomann (or outside of my country) because about 4 years ago I bought a headphone and I had to go customs 3 times to explain what I bought and how I will use it? They want to be sure about that you are not trying to sell the thing. But I read our local forums about purchasing from thomann and they had no issues.

So, you are suggesting me to buy g212. What is the weight of that? I saw 25kg at thomann. Is that shipping weight? If not, How many kg's I should add?

Thanks,
Quote by archimonde
I will order from Thomann. The weight is not problem for Thomann, only shipping fee changes.

I live in Turkey and the customs are very strict and some people had some issues about that. Also If I want to buy something expensive than €1500, I need to do extra procedures in customs and it will cost me much more.

Actually first I was afraid about buying things from thomann (or outside of my country) because about 4 years ago I bought a headphone and I had to go customs 3 times to explain what I bought and how I will use it? They want to be sure about that you are not trying to sell the thing. But I read our local forums about purchasing from thomann and they had no issues.

So, you are suggesting me to buy g212. What is the weight of that? I saw 25kg at thomann. Is that shipping weight? If not, How many kg's I should add?

Thanks,

Call or Email Thomann, they will give you the exact weight
^ Yeah. I'm not sure of the exact shipping weight, I'm guessing the weight they list is just the weight of the cab minus all the packaging.

that sucks about turkish customs
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi again,

I sent an email to thomann about weight issue and they replied me back (after 4 days :/). The shipping weight of Harley Benton G212 Vintage is 28kgs. So it's OK to buy it but I need to purchase them separately and buying G212's will cost me another 30€.

Does the JCA50 sound good at bedroom levels?
That sucks

I think it sounds good at bedroom levels, but it depends on exactly what you mean by "bedroom level". I don't play that loudly, but at the same time I don't share any walls with neighbours so my bedroom level is probably louder than most.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?