I don't have a huge budget (maybe $250) and need something that sounds good for home use (especially when its not cranked).

I like classic rock/pop (Beatles, Rolling stones, Hendrix, Cream) and “mainstream” indie/alt bands (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The National, Shins, Radiohead, REM, Nirvana)

I think I've narrowed it down to a pod 2.0, a pod xt, or a zoom G3, with a pair of cheapish speakers, say M-Audio AV 40s (or something similar at the same price) or a Yamaha THR10.

Any thoughts on which would be a better sounding set-up? Or are there better options?
I'm new to all this, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Look used and get a POD X3/X3 live much better amp modeling and it will run you <$200
here is one for $149
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Pod-X3-Live-Amp-Modeler-Effect-Processor-110676229-i4029184.gc

Actually it isn't as fancy, but the POD HD300/400 should be doable and sound even better
Hell here is a POD HD500 for $250
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Pod-HD500-Amp-Modeler-Effect-Processor-110575873-i4023484.gc
If you want something mobile, get the thr, otherwise the G3 gets my vote. I'm they'd all work pretty well for you.
^^ you guys are nuts

I've tried The zoom G3 and L6 XT live side by side and the XT pretty much shit on the zoom. Yes the zoom interface is a bit easier, but the modeling of the L6 is way above what the zoom is and that was the model that is 2 models behind what L6 currently produces. And the FX modeling is better on the L6 than the Zoom. Besides the L6 also has better cab modeling and mic/room modeling as well.
The Pods do very well for this (though I'd do better than the Pod 2.0 and try to find at least an XT). I'd suggest staying away from the HD300/HD400 if you have the money for an HD series and try to go with a Pod HD (the bean) instead.
The "bean" versions are obviously going to be the least expensive and the easiest to cart around. Easier to keep on a desktop (there's actually a tilt stand for it that runs around $20), easier to toss into a gig bag pocket.

Powered recording monitors are a great way to go, though you're going to want to get at least a model with a 5" woofer for decent bass response. ONE monitor is sufficient for the Pod, though two would be nice for stereo effects and everything else (computer games, etc.). Again, used is the smart way to go if you're trying to get the most for your money.

I'm actually using a Pod HD and a pair of KRK Rokit 8's at home, FWIW.
I think, THINK the beans are as nice as the HD500, and you can buy a Line 6 floorboard to control things just like the HD500 as well, so I concur with dspellman a bit. Just got me an HD500 a month ago and it's great.
Thanks for all the responses!

It seems like for the money the pod is the way to go (unless I find an incredible g3/g5 deal?)

Just to make sure I'm getting the pods in order from worst to best it goes:
2.0, xt, x3, hd300, hd400, hd5000 or hd(bean)

With the higher models being worth the money over the x's and the 300,

And the sound quality of the THR is going to be noticably inferior to a pod with a single half decent powered monitor speaker.

Thanks again for all your help
The looper/drums combo on the G3/G5 is a significant feature if it's something that you will use. Yes, the HD or even XT will sound better on amp models. But for me that wasn't enough to make it a slam dunk choice to buy the HD over the Zoom. So I bought both and have no regrets. Bottom line is most multifx can deliver good sounds if you work with them. The RP series 500 and 1000 are still great units.
Quote by Robbgnarly
^^ you guys are nuts

I've tried The zoom G3 and L6 XT live side by side and the XT pretty much shit on the zoom. Yes the zoom interface is a bit easier, but the modeling of the L6 is way above what the zoom is and that was the model that is 2 models behind what L6 currently produces. And the FX modeling is better on the L6 than the Zoom. Besides the L6 also has better cab modeling and mic/room modeling as well.

Imo, a good amp and a few decent pedals pretty much shit on all mfx, including the pod. For the application that ts seems to want, there's really not all that big of a difference between the G3 and the Pods. Imo, the layout and useable features are just as important as the sound in this sorta situation where budget and practicality are as considered as much as anything else.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Nov 11, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
The Pods do very well for this (though I'd do better than the Pod 2.0 and try to find at least an XT). I'd suggest staying away from the HD300/HD400 if you have the money for an HD series and try to go with a Pod HD (the bean) instead.
The "bean" versions are obviously going to be the least expensive and the easiest to cart around. Easier to keep on a desktop (there's actually a tilt stand for it that runs around $20), easier to toss into a gig bag pocket.

Powered recording monitors are a great way to go, though you're going to want to get at least a model with a 5" woofer for decent bass response. ONE monitor is sufficient for the Pod, though two would be nice for stereo effects and everything else (computer games, etc.). Again, used is the smart way to go if you're trying to get the most for your money.

I'm actually using a Pod HD and a pair of KRK Rokit 8's at home, FWIW.

+3.1415 the bean is cheap with the short board. sligtly more limiting but from what i have seen depending on what your demands are could be a low cost alternative to a HD500.

you just have to decide.
Quote by Robbgnarly
^^ you guys are nuts

When it comes down to preference, we could just as easily consider you to be nuts for preferring the L6...

IMO, the effects quality is about the same, I only use the amp/cab modelling for headphone practice so that doesn't matter to me therefore no comment, but the interface on the G3 is 100% perfect for the way I want to use it.

Based on that, Zoom wins - but we might as well be arguing about whether Fender is better than Gibson....
The HD user interface is much more complicated than the Zoom.
Quote by GaryBillington
When it comes down to preference, we could just as easily consider you to be nuts for preferring the L6...

IMO, the effects quality is about the same, I only use the amp/cab modelling for headphone practice so that doesn't matter to me therefore no comment, but the interface on the G3 is 100% perfect for the way I want to use it.

Based on that, Zoom wins - but we might as well be arguing about whether Fender is better than Gibson....

oh I am nuts, for real.
But if your going to spend the money, why not get the best you can afford
Quote by Robbgnarly
oh I am nuts, for real.
But if your going to spend the money, why not get the best you can afford

Best is still subjective...both are good, both are equally worthy of being checked out when you're shopping.

For me, the Zoom was best, for someone else it'll be Line 6. Like I said, there's no right or wrong - it's the same as Gibson vs Fender.
Thanks for all the input here. Sounds like the pod hd will give me the best sound, so I've been looking for a cheap one. I did come across a zoom g3 for under $75, however, so I'm seriously considering that too (especiallly if the interface is easier to use; like l said I'm new to all of this).
$75 is the price of an average pedal. Get it. Then get the HD if you really want to spend $400. You could spend your entire life trying to find a looper with synced drum machine for $75.
Quote by fly135
$75 is the price of an average pedal. Get it. Then get the HD if you really want to spend $400. You could spend your entire life trying to find a looper with synced drum machine for $75.

+1, you can't beat all the stuff the g3 does for $75
I have a PODx3. Its pretty nifty, I got it for like 120.00 something used on Ebay. Id rather get line 6 then any of the others you listed.
A Pod X3 for $120 is an excellent deal. I'd get that too if I didn't already had one of f*k'ng everything. First of all nothing really s**ts on anything else. All the units discussed here have their pros and cons. The Pod most definitely has better cleans than the Zoom. But a lot depends on what the individual user wants.

The G3 will sit on a pedalboard and integrate with individual pedals where the Pod really doesn't swing that way. Plus the awesome looper/drums combo. The RP1000 will allow 4CM and a stomp loop for adding those "must have" separate pedals. Plus has lots of great amp models. It's total bombastic chest thumping to claim any one is so much better that it s**ts on the other. An unfortunately might turn people away from something that they may really want thinking the downside is that "it's s**t on crap".
Thanks again! I just picked up the G3 a few hours ago and it sounds great to my ears, well at least half of the patches I've tried do. I figured for 75 bucks (Canadian too) how can you go wrong. At the very least it gives me time to weed out a super good deal on pod if I feel I need to make the switch.

I'll have to remember not to invite any pods to my G3's sleep overs though; I don't want to wake up to some morning scat party where they've spent the whole night crapping all over each other.
Quote by Buzz1947
Thanks again! I just picked up the G3 a few hours ago and it sounds great to my ears, well at least half of the patches I've tried do. I figured for 75 bucks (Canadian too) how can you go wrong. At the very least it gives me time to weed out a super good deal on pod if I feel I need to make the switch.

I'll have to remember not to invite any pods to my G3's sleep overs though; I don't want to wake up to some morning scat party where they've spent the whole night crapping all over each other.

HNPD...for me to poop on! Don't forget to explore the cab options and make sure you have the general set up right (front combo/power amp/direct). I've had my G3 for a while now and I love the lil gadget. Still looks and works good as new.
Quote by fly135
The HD user interface is much more complicated than the Zoom.

Don't get what people complain about, I learned everything in 2-3 days with minimum help, and by help, I mean knowing what the panel buttons do.
Just mentioning it because one of the biggest complaints is user interface. The G stuff is about the simplest.
Quote by fly135
Just mentioning it because one of the biggest complaints is user interface. The G stuff is about the simplest.

The more there is, the more there is to learn.

I have a Korg Kronos (around a $4K keyboard) that has HUGE dollops of capabilities, but getting them out is endlessly complicated. The Axe-FX is similarly endowed, but the good news there is that there are enough very good pre-sets that most users will probably only ever skim the top 5% of its capabilities.

The Pod HD's a bit like that, and while the best of it is notably better than the G stuff (your ear may vary), it helps to have a guru around, because the Pod presets are just so-so. Fortunately, there are people who've delved into it and survived to write the tale. Here's one: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/
Quote by dspellman
The more there is, the more there is to learn.

I have a Korg Kronos (around a $4K keyboard) that has HUGE dollops of capabilities, but getting them out is endlessly complicated. The Axe-FX is similarly endowed, but the good news there is that there are enough very good pre-sets that most users will probably only ever skim the top 5% of its capabilities.

The Pod HD's a bit like that, and while the best of it is notably better than the G stuff (your ear may vary), it helps to have a guru around, because the Pod presets are just so-so. Fortunately, there are people who've delved into it and survived to write the tale. Here's one: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

Harumph!! But ts just paid $75 for a very easy to use gadget that, arguably, has as big of a dollop of capabilities as the Pods. Without complications.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Nov 16, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
Harumph!! But ts just paid $75 for a very easy to use gadget that, arguably, has as big of a dollop of capabilities as the Pods. Without complications.

+ several.

This really is just like the banned Gibson vs Fender debate.