Hey everyone, I currently use a set of Elixir 10's, and wanted to experiment with some downtuning. I understand I will need to set the guitar up if I wish to stay in a different tuning, but for now I just dropped the tuning. It sounds awful, buzzing everywhere.

If I set up the guitar correctly, will this problem go, as I know Tony Iommi uses custom 8's and he goes low. I imagine the strings must feel very loose.
He did it because after he tore his fingers off, he couldn't deal with the tension of the strings anymore so he used banjo strings, a few thinner guitar strings and downtuned then. By all accounts though (even his) the thing never really stayed in tune properly and I'd imagine the strings were pretty floppy.

So you might want to consider thicker strings if you're planning on downtuning drastically.
He probably had to modify his technique an awful lot when he lost the tips of his fingers, and I'm guessing that he actually plucks the strings very very softly with a very loose grip on his picks.
I hate the snap it gets when you pluck hard with anything less than 10s.... like a pop note in the bass...
Quote by Blompcube
He probably had to modify his technique an awful lot when he lost the tips of his fingers, and I'm guessing that he actually plucks the strings very very softly with a very loose grip on his picks.

+311
True, I gather its not worth trying unless you have too, as he did. I have full use of my hands, so no reason not to use bigger strings.
Some people can just play delicately enough to use light strings. .007s were made just for Billy Gibbons, and they probably work out to similar tension.

Iommi also has millions of dollars, so he never needs to worry about playing loud enough to get his light detuned strings to sustain a note.