Hey everyone, a quick question. I currently own a line 6 spider IV 75 which I am replacing with a better amp.

Problem is, I quite enjoy being able to use the modelling features, so was thinking what to get alongside my new amp.

Would a line 6 POD be a good idea along with a powered speaker? Not having used one myself, but I have heard the sound quality is much better than the spiders?

If not this set up, what could be a better alternative? The lower the price the better really, as it will not be my main set up.

Thanks everyone.
Quote by conanwarrior
Would a line 6 POD be a good idea along with a powered speaker? Not having used one myself, but I have heard the sound quality is much better than the spiders?
Yes to both.
Quote by conanwarrior
If not this set up, what could be a better alternative? The lower the price the better really, as it will not be my main set up.
Depends.

What do you gotta do with it, practice by yourself or practice with others or gig or... ?
Personally I prefer the Zoom G3/G5 to the POD, but that's just down to preference. Research both.
is it for giging, for playing with a band, for what use exactly?

I personnaly use a ToneLab EX, it's a modeling pedal that uses à lamp, sounds pretty nice, better that what I experiences with Line 6

The choice in amp will depends on the use, but you could either use the "effect loop" in an amp and use it as a power amp, you could also get a "real" power amp and a cab, this all depends on your budget in the end.
Quote by conanwarrior

Would a line 6 POD be a good idea along with a powered speaker?

Yes. A LOT of rigs like that these days.
Then I think a mod pedal could be nice for you, you can check Tonelab, Zoom, Line 6, Boss, they all make interesting devices.

Plug em on a studio monitor, you should be ok! Most of them have cab emulator to compensate.
A modelling pedal? I didn't even know you could get them! I will have a look. But the main reason for buying this will be an upgrade in sound quality. Will I get this with a pedal compared to the spider?

Edit: Just had a browse, the Zoom products seem to be quite good. I also misunderstood what you meant by pedal, I know now .
Last edited by conanwarrior at Nov 12, 2014,
I got a Tonelab EX, used to have a Line 6 product (Toneport UX2) which had to run trough the computer with PodFarm. I like the tone of the Tonelab better. Might be a question of taste, might be the Valve, might be a placebo effect, don't know for sure!

But, I also have a Spider Valve 112 (MK1) and I still plug my Tonelab on the effect loop of the Spider Valve instead of using the preamp of the Spider.

I haven't tried the Zoom, the G9.2TT seems realy interesting, but the best advice I could give you is to go out and try em out. You might be pleased by something totally different than I.
I love tube amps, but im becoming more and more partial to modeling and digital gear every day. I have a zoom g3x and it is a really nice piece of equipment. Great sound and lots to tinker with. I havent tried the line 6 pod so i cant compare.
It'll work fine. Since my tube amp died (6505+) I've been running my POD through a tiny pedal sized poweramp into a 1x12 cab, so a little different to how you'll be using it..but still, spend a little bit of time making patches and it works great. Also so much easier to transport & less space consuming.

Doesn't mean you lose any GAS though, starting to want to grab a Jet city as well now Probably going to grab an amp in the future, but i'm definitely going to keep the POD in my gear collection, either for just effects, or studio work & clean amp patches.