So basically I know pretty much what features I want, but I just don't know which guitar has them, so I was hoping you guys could help me out! Please bear with me though.

What I need it to have:

-Versatility! It should be able to take me from heavy metal to decent cleans. Of course I don't expect it to do everything perfectly, but at least decently.

Optional:

-Maple fingerboard.
-Push/pull coil split.
-Killswitch. (This one is really not necessary, I'd be installing it myself anyway if it didn't come with it)

The closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for is the Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist 6 but it costs a bomb!

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/soloist/models/chris-broderick-soloist-6-ebony-fretboard-transparent-red/
I'm going to be buying used and have a budget of about $1200.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by MyOwnGuitarHero at Nov 11, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Be more specific. There are hundreds of guitars with those sorts of specs.

That was actually the point of this thread, I'd like to hear which guitars have these specs? And which ones would are actually worth the money?

But what would you like me to be more specific about?
I'm not even going to bother listing which guitars have coil splits and a maple fretboard (not even going to include a killswitch because they're such simple mods that anyone can do that you may as well count all guitars). There's lots and lots of them.

A guitar is worth the money if you think it is.

I'd like you to be more specific about the following:

Body style
Body wood
Neck wood
Neck construction
Neck profile
Fretboard wood
Fretboard Radius
Fretwire size
No. of frets
Type of bridge
Type of pickups
Any other kind of hardware

This sort of detailed information would help
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 11, 2014,
TODEEPBLUE kinda has a point as what you ask is pretty general. there are tons of guitars with those specs. you don't mention whether you want a trem or not and of course just saying "metal" is way to ill defined. metal to me is Judas Priest or 70s Scorpions, to you it might mean Burzom or Avenged 7 Fold.

you probably should look at Jackson's or perhaps Charvel's as they seem to have much of what you want. Ibanez also would be a good choice. bottom line is that you should go to the nearest guitar shop and spend some time with some axes. that budget will get you a lot of guitar and there are way to many choices to just randomly list them.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Body style: Nothing specific.
Body wood: Mahogany ideally.
Neck wood: Maple.
Neck construction: Nothing specific.
Neck profile: Nothing specific.
Fretboard wood: Maple.
Fretboard Radius: Nothing specific.
Fretwire size: Jumbo.
No. of frets: Nothing specific, the more the merrier though.
Type of bridge: Nothing specific, I'm equally fine with a floating/fixed bridge.
Type of pickups: Preferably passive, already have a couple of guitars with active pickups in them. I prefer a guitar with more than one pickup in it though, ideally a bridge, middle, and neck, but just a bridge and neck would be okay too.
Any other kind of hardware: That's pretty much it.

Sorry about the vague question at the start, thanks for your help Let me know if there are any other details I left out!
Quote by monwobobbo
TODEEPBLUE kinda has a point as what you ask is pretty general. there are tons of guitars with those specs. you don't mention whether you want a trem or not and of course just saying "metal" is way to ill defined. metal to me is Judas Priest or 70s Scorpions, to you it might mean Burzom or Avenged 7 Fold.

you probably should look at Jackson's or perhaps Charvel's as they seem to have much of what you want. Ibanez also would be a good choice. bottom line is that you should go to the nearest guitar shop and spend some time with some axes. that budget will get you a lot of guitar and there are way to many choices to just randomly list them.

I see how that could have been confusing, by "metal" I was actually referring to the same type of metal that you mentioned; Priest, Maiden, etc.

Also due to where I live (in the middle east) that is totally not an option, there are so few guitar shops here it's ridiculous, and since I really have no chance to travel anytime soon, it'll have to be an online purchase, I'm afraid.
Quote by MyOwnGuitarHero
Sorry about the vague question at the start, thanks for your help Let me know if there are any other details I left out!

So nothing specific about neck profiles at all? Wow. That's one of the most important things regarding playability.

And nothing specific as to what type of bridge? That's crucially important too.

Those sorts of features on a guitar are too important to not care about. And not caring suggests to me that you don't know what you want.
Quote by MyOwnGuitarHero
I see how that could have been confusing, by "metal" I was actually referring to the same type of metal that you mentioned; Priest, Maiden, etc.

Also due to where I live (in the middle east) that is totally not an option, there are so few guitar shops here it's ridiculous, and since I really have no chance to travel anytime soon, it'll have to be an online purchase, I'm afraid.

ok fair enough. you still need to narrow things down a bit though. I'd highly suggest doing some research perhaps starting with the companies I mentioned. Jackson and Ibanez make several models that will do the trick. perhaps you might want to look into a Dave Murray sig strat (fender). do you want a trem? that makes a big difference in choices. seems like some sort of Super Strat is what you want and that is the route I'd go as they will cover Priest and Maiden style stuff perfectly. coil taps might not be really essential as most metal of that nature is humbucker driven.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So nothing specific about neck profiles at all? Wow. That's one of the most important things regarding playability.

Those sorts of features on a guitar are too important to not care about. And not caring suggests to me that you don't know what you want.

I guess ideally I'd like the next to be similar to the Jackson RR3 I've got. But when it comes to the bridge it really wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but I guess if I had to pick I'd go with a guitar with a floating bridge.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

little harsh but not off base. I don't think a lot of players worry as much about things like wood type or neck radius as you might think. granted you do have to consider these things if buying online as you can't try first. I've been all about feel over hard specs myself. this of course means that I need to play a guitar before buying. I have 4 electrics and they all have different specs but all work for me.
So you don't care if it's a floyd or a fixed bridge?

Okay.

Then perhaps a used Jackson DK2M?
Quote by monwobobbo
little harsh but not off base. I don't think a lot of players worry as much about things like wood type or neck radius as you might think. granted you do have to consider these things if buying online as you can't try first. I've been all about feel over hard specs myself. this of course means that I need to play a guitar before buying. I have 4 electrics and they all have different specs but all work for me.

These sorts of things matter to me and given the plethora of similar-looking guitars out there, you can afford to be picky.
Quote by monwobobbo

If you don't worry about that then you end up with a guitar you don't like playing. I understand people not caring about what kind of wood the guitars are made of but not caring about the neck profile and radius? That's insane.

bridge types too. if you don't use the trem, why have it on the guitar? You'd have much better tuning stability etc... if you just got a hardtail in that situation.
OP- check out Fernandes and Dean.

I understand people not caring about what kind of wood the guitars are made of but not caring about the neck profile and radius? That's insane.

Actually, for some people- like me- that's not a deal breaking issue. I have preferences, yes, but I have guitars with thin necks (Fernandes, Dean, Ovation), thickish necks (JKGs, Maldens), to middle of the road (JKGs, Fret-King, Reverend). Different radii and shapes, too.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 11, 2014,
From the info listed I'd point you at the Jackson DK2M as well. Comes with Seymour Duncan JB and '59 so that should cover the tones you listed. You have to add the coil splits and killswitch.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you don't worry about that then you end up with a guitar you don't like playing. I understand people not caring about what kind of wood the guitars are made of but not caring about the neck profile and radius? That's insane.

bridge types too. if you don't use the trem, why have it on the guitar? You'd have much better tuning stability etc... if you just got a hardtail in that situation.

limiting your self can be just as insane (so to speak) sorry but I think that guitar geeks (myself included) worry about a lot of things that joe average might not be even aware of. how many guys buy a guitar because it looks like the one his hero uses? answer, far to many. this in no way takes into account what would actually work for the player it's just based on the assumption that if that style guitar is good for the hero it must be good for you to. lots of advertising $s are spent on that notion. now the only way you'll know what neck styles, fingerboard woods or radius works for you is t try a bunch of guitars. based on what I see here regularly many players just don't seem to take the time to really find out. I make it a point to try out as many different guitars as I can. every time I stop into GC (or other shops) if I see a guitar I've never tried (especially brands) then i'll give it a go. this includes many guitars that I probably would never consider buying. this has led to me buying several guitars over the years that I would have never considered (or heard of) otherwise. point being that not everyone does this and we can't really expect that when answering threads.

of course all the things mentioned matter but it's hard to get an answer from people who never really thought about it.
Quote by monwobobbo
limiting your self can be just as insane (so to speak) sorry but I think that guitar geeks (myself included) worry about a lot of things that joe average might not be even aware of.

So having a preference of a particular neck profile and a preference of a particular type of bridge is limiting yourself?

Okay.

how many guys buy a guitar because it looks like the one his hero uses? answer, far to many. this in no way takes into account what would actually work for the player it's just based on the assumption that if that style guitar is good for the hero it must be good for you to.

Sometimes it is good enough for them. That's sometimes all the confirmation people need to enjoy their instrument. I see nothing wrong with that, since enjoying ourselves is the end goal here.

If TS wants a guitar just like a particular artist, he would've already said so. Whether or not the guitar itself has the neck feel that a particular player wants is a whole other matter that needs to be taken into account, regardless of if it's signature or not. But at any rate we can't blame the neck profile not being right for the player on marketing. Nobody is to blame for that. For a marketing campaign to say, "This neck makes Dimebag Darrell shred the faces off baby kittens with it's speed! Unless of course you don't like the neck profile in which case, nevermind!" would be a bit silly.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So having a preference of a particular neck profile and a preference of a particular type of bridge is limiting yourself?

Okay.

Sometimes it is good enough for them. That's all the confirmation people need to enjoy their instrument. I see nothing wrong with that, since that is the end goal here.

If TS wants a guitar just like a particular artist, he would've already said so. Whether or not the guitar itself has the neck feel that a particular player wants is a whole other matter.

ok guess you kinda missed my points. no having a preference is all good unless it keeps you from trying anything else. maybe a different one would turn out to be your new preference. just saying don't limit yourself. I to have preferences but have gone outside the box a few times and gotten good results. you won't find out what works (or doesn't) until you try.

my point on the particular artist guitar was that often a player buys a guitar not at all based on the points mentioned in this thread but simply because it is what their fav player uses. this can lead to major disappointment when for the reasons mentioned (neck profile, radius,etc) don't work for the player.
Quote by monwobobbo
ok guess you kinda missed my points. no having a preference is all good unless it keeps you from trying anything else.

You implied that having a preference somehow puts a limit on the choice of guitars you can play though. It seemed that way given the context of what Hatebreeder said.

That isn't quite the same as saying to not limit yourself if you have certain preferences.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you tried to suggest.
Quote by monwobobbo
ok guess you kinda missed my points. no having a preference is all good unless it keeps you from trying anything else. maybe a different one would turn out to be your new preference. just saying don't limit yourself. I to have preferences but have gone outside the box a few times and gotten good results. you won't find out what works (or doesn't) until you try.

We're asking these things so we can suggest guitars he would actually like and be useful for him. If he wants to just buy a guitar for the sake of buying a new guitar, then whatever but then why bother asking for advice? I don't see why you think asking those things are 'limiting' and just for 'jaded guitar players'. What am I supposed to do then? Suggest him a pointy black guitar for metal because its pointy and black? That's silly.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 11, 2014,
To me, I think the most versatility would be in terms of how many different sounds you can get from the output jack.

-An HSH guitar with the ability to split each humbucker,
-phase selecting
-parallel or series switching
-a pickup selector super-switch that lets you get every combo available
-piezo saddles
-floyd rose
-midi pickup
-sacrifice the neck H and put in a sustainer

So subtract whatever sounds you don't want and look for that guitar out there. You are still going to have tons of models to choose from.

IMO, neck type, etc....all secondary to me. Things like radius and scale length matter in terms of playability, but you can play any genre on any guitar. Malmsteen shreds on a scalloped old school Fender 7.25 neck, the various Petrucci guitars are fairly flat. I would go middle of the road on the setup and construction things, as you can adapt.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Nov 11, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
We're asking these things so we can suggest guitars he would actually like and be useful for him. If he wants to just buy a guitar for the sake of buying a new guitar, then whatever but then why bother asking for advice? I don't see why you think asking those things are 'limiting' and just for 'jaded guitar players'. What am I supposed to do then? Suggest him a pointy black guitar for metal because its pointy and black? That's silly.

geeezz.... not what I'm saying why is this so tough. look dude asked for some advice and gave a few specifics. this is where his head is at. suddenly ?s about neck shape and radius etc are brought up and some got a little indignant because the OP didn't have answers. rarely do I see anyone on here or most other boards (Gear Page excluded) talking about those things. lets face it the guys who do worry about that stuff and feel the need to mention it probably don't really need our help deciding what they want. OP wants a guitar suited to playing metal like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden. ok yes he should mention whether he wants a trem or not but the rest I dunno.

sorry if I try to advise people to keep an open mind. this is how I feel that people can really find out what works for them. for example say a guy wants to play Pantera. sure you can say get a Dean Dime guitar and a Randall Warhead and you'll be good to go. is that the only way? no. just the easiest way with no concern on whether those items will work for the player. this is what I mean by limiting or going for the most obvious choice (granted at time it's obvious for a reason).

at any rate I'd go for a super strat like a Jackson Soloist or a Charvel and call it a day.
Quote by monwobobbo
geeezz.... not what I'm saying why is this so tough. look dude asked for some advice and gave a few specifics. this is where his head is at. suddenly ?s about neck shape and radius etc are brought up and some got a little indignant because the OP didn't have answers. rarely do I see anyone on here or most other boards (Gear Page excluded) talking about those things. lets face it the guys who do worry about that stuff and feel the need to mention it probably don't really need our help deciding what they want. OP wants a guitar suited to playing metal like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden. ok yes he should mention whether he wants a trem or not but the rest I dunno.

sorry if I try to advise people to keep an open mind. this is how I feel that people can really find out what works for them. for example say a guy wants to play Pantera. sure you can say get a Dean Dime guitar and a Randall Warhead and you'll be good to go. is that the only way? no. just the easiest way with no concern on whether those items will work for the player. this is what I mean by limiting or going for the most obvious choice (granted at time it's obvious for a reason).

at any rate I'd go for a super strat like a Jackson Soloist or a Charvel and call it a day.

Exactly, which is why you ask those questions. So you don't have to just suggest a Dean for Dimebag or a Strat with a humbucker for Priest and Maiden. At any rate, I don't know why you get so hung up on people actually wanting extra details before they suggest something blindly.

Asking that shit doesn't reflect if somebody has an open mind or not. It's to find out what you're actually looking for.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Exactly, which is why you ask those questions. So you don't have to just suggest a Dean for Dimebag or a Strat with a humbucker for Priest and Maiden. At any rate, I don't know why you get so hung up on people actually wanting extra details before they suggest something blindly.

Asking that shit doesn't reflect if somebody has an open mind or not. It's to find out what you're actually looking for.

I don't care if people ask ?s at all, ask away. my issue (and it was a little one) was that folks were a little harsh toward the OP for not having answers. now if the guy had just said he wanted a guitar to play priest and maiden style stuff it would have made life easier for all of us. that piece of info in the long run was probably more important than neck shape, wood etc.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Nov 11, 2014,
Im gonna ignore the ongoing debate lol

OP the most versatile Ive owned personally is a Fender Jaguar HH Special. Its got great action, great pickups from the factory, and so many switches and dials on it that its almost impossible to find a sound you dont like. look into it, it may or may not be your thing but its the most versatile guitar i've personally owned