guitar tones from hair metal, 80's pop, and 80's shred, is a slight delay used a lot?

kind of like a slapback tone.

is a slight delay and reverb essential for a good 80's lead tone?

would any digital delay and reverb pedal do the trick?
Last edited by musicandthewave at Nov 11, 2014,
Not essential, definitely, but useful.
Not even necessarily slap back.

Yeah pretty much whatever reverb and delay will do imo.
don't forget chorus as that was a must have pedal at the time. delay certainly and reverb was certainly used as well. just experiment.
More like LOTS of delay, the entire 80's = shitload of delay for distortion. shit load of chorus for clean tone. This whole thing really started with guys like Van Halen and Neal Schon, so you might wanna check out their rigs
Just get an Alesis Quadraverb and your problems will be solved. Tons of people used those in the 80's to get that shiny chorus tone
yeah it'll help

phaser is used a fair bit as well (depending on the guitarist)
Yeah, often either a fast, barely noticeable (digital) delay that doesn't have much repeats, or just a reverb set up similarly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah it'll help

phaser is used a fair bit as well (depending on the guitarist)

phaser was more of a 70s thing than 80s hair metal. for hair metal you need that big rack full of the then new and cool digital fx.

honestly I thing you can get by with a decent delay pedal and an analog chorus pedal to reasonably duplicate the sound (pointy guitar sold separately )
I set my delay to just enough to sustain more but not sound like it's repeating. Makes leads sustain way more.
Quote by badfish_lewis
Just get an Alesis Quadraverb and your problems will be solved. Tons of people used those in the 80's to get that shiny chorus tone
Good suggestion. Good delay and reverb too. Pure 80's/early 90's. They need to sit in the loop though. You can run them out front (I've done it) but you have to wind up the input gain too high and they start to get noisy. They prefer a hotter signal. If your amp has a line level loop that would be a bonus.
And almost everybody used either a tubescreamer or a SD1/OD1. Well, there weren't a lot of other options.
^ yeah sd1 or tubescreamer is normally a good call. i haven't tried the od1 but i'm guessing it is too. even a distortion + sounds pretty 80s, but it's a bit of a one-trick pony.

Quote by monwobobbo
phaser was more of a 70s thing than 80s hair metal. for hair metal you need that big rack full of the then new and cool digital fx.

honestly I thing you can get by with a decent delay pedal and an analog chorus pedal to reasonably duplicate the sound (pointy guitar sold separately )

there's a fair bit of the 80s stuff which has phaser on it, but yeah it was probably slightly earlier all the same

just buy everything, just in case
Quote by Dave_Mc
^I think shirts must have been outlawed in the 80s.

i think everyone was so high on coke back then they just forgot about the shirts.

hell of a drug
Quote by gumbilicious
i think everyone was so high on coke back then they just forgot about the shirts.

hell of a drug

just saving money. groupies would just tear them off so why bother wearing them. besides you kinda had to prove you weren't a girl and letting your dong hang out was illegal.

hmmmm......80s coke...... ahem not that I would know anything about that......
Quote by monwobobbo
just saving money. groupies would just tear them off so why bother wearing them.

so, uh, explain the knee pads

Alright here's everything you need for 80's music.

A hooker/stripper girlfriend to pay your bills while you make it big
Spandex
Ripped up vest
Hair band
A 5 gallon drum of Aqua Net Hairspray (don't cheap out man, it's the only shit that holds well enough)
Mountains of cocaine
Women's panties (for your amp, this is vital)

Chorus
Delay
JCM800 or a Soldano SLO
Tubescreamer
Flanger

-Äce Velöur
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Nov 13, 2014,
Quote by darkwolf291
Alright here's everything you need for 80's music.

A hooker/stripper girlfriend to pay your bills while you make it big
Spandex
Ripped up vest
Hair band
A 5 gallon drum of Aqua Net Hairspray (don't cheap out man, it's the only shit that holds well enough)
Mountains of cocaine
Women's panties (for your amp, this is vital)

Chorus
Delay
JCM800 or a Soldano SLO
Tubescreamer
Flange
-Äce Velöur

damn it no wonder I didn't make it big back then. cheaped out on the hairspray. oh well live and learn
Quote by gumbilicious
so, uh, explain the knee pads

maybe eddie was taking lessons from Rob Halford.
Quote by CarsonStevens
To play in, or to keep the sweat out of your eyes?

For your head
To look bitchin'