OK, I found out about timing a couple of weeks ago and I've been baffled since.
I watched a couple concert videos and I see guitarist DOWN picking on the 8th notes but when I learned about timing, tutorial videos said that you have to alternate pick on the 8th notes

1(down) and(down)
or
1(down) and(up)?

Does it depend on different types of music?
e.g. Metal: constant down picking
Last edited by MadFisto at Nov 11, 2014,
It's a tonal choice. Downpicking sounds different to alternate picking, the more consistent tone helps with the energy of the kind of songs that do it are trying to achieve.

Also if you can downpick really well it makes playing galloped rhythms like Battery by Metallica much easier.
Quote by MadFisto
OK, I found out about timing a couple of weeks ago and I've been baffled since.
I watched a couple concert videos and I see guitarist DOWN picking on the 8th notes but when I learned about timing, tutorial videos said that you have to alternate pick on the 8th notes

1(down) and(down)
or
1(down) and(up)?

Does it depend on different types of music?
e.g. Metal: constant down picking

Depends on style, to a degree, and on tempo of the music. Beyong a certain tempo, it is impossible to pick every note just in one direction. That's where alternate picking or economy picking comes to the rescue. And if you get into sweep picked arpeggios mixed with linear playing, economy picking is probably the most efficient.

But, if you're playing a rhythmic "chugging", then that works well with all down strokes (for the sound) ... this is usually not fast enough to force one of the other picking styles to be used.

In summary, depends on the music context, and what suits you physically.

cheers, Jerry
Start with alternate picking, economy picking will feel way too unnatural, and you will need to be able to alt pick to be abke to economy pick, I do agree economy picking is the most efficient, but I still prefer alt picking, personal preference really. Downpickin is usually used for rythm, while most leads will do up and down strokes even at low tempos as it feels more natural and is efficient. Good luck