Page 1 of 2
I've been a guy that buys a lot of inexpensive guitars throughout the time I've played, about over 10 years?

I never really considered how much it's worth spending a huge amount until I got my last guitar, which is the best playing guitar I've got and it's not even half 1k.

So is it worth spending so much on a guitar? How much would you spend for a guitar? IS playability worth thousands, or is it the brand and where it was made that makes it cost so much?

The next guitar, which is my dream guitar, that I'm looking forward to getting, is 1k, or around there, so I suppose that's what I'd spend, and I'm already reluctant getting it until possible price drops.
To me it depends. I have my "price ranges" for every brand. For a good PRS I'd be happy to spend $3-4k because almost every one I've seen/played has been worth it. On a Gibson, not so much...maybe around $2k. I flat out refuse to spend over $1,500 on a Strat even though I'm really wanting another one right now.
If it's worth it to you then it's worth it. It's not something we can really answer for you.

FWIW 1k isn't much for a guitar. That's a pretty average price for a decent guitar new.
I think its all a personal thing. I paid a little over 2k for my dream guitar, to me it was worth every penny.
Yeah I bought my PRS for $1500 and would have been happy spending the $2300 they actually wanted for it. Never pay retail especially if you walk into a physical store.
Id only ever spend over £1000 on a PRS.

Cant really think of anything else id spend £1k on.
Whatever I spent over a few hundred $ on an electric guitar, it would be about mojo, not about any kind of perceived musical merit. I have a '95 LP Special that I bought used that fits into that class, it would have been about US$900 at the time. Given my tastes, other candidates would be something like a MM Silhouette or Fender Am Dlx, used rather than new, so it would be around US$1000. However, I would be more likely to spend a bit more than that on a Warmoth bitsa.

EDIT - It would be whatever I could afford on an acoustic. Danny's Somogyi would be a good candidate, though yer basic Collings or Bourgeois would go amiss.
Last edited by Tony Done at Nov 11, 2014,
A lot of the guitars in a high price range are not worth the money. You pay for a name or another gimmick. If it is, by demonstration, worth the money, then yes I would buy it.

I would pay extensively for a guitar that I built myself, if I knew that all the high-quality components were worth the price.

But most cheaper, 500$ USD and below guitars can easily be set up to play like a 1000$+ guitar with much less of a price, either through components, pedals, etc.

Maximum, I would spend $500 before I started to get extremely wary and suspicious about the cost/worth return.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 11, 2014,
Cool guitars Danny, but a tad out of my price range
I always got a kick out of Gil Yaron prices $10,000ish to start
http://gilyaronguitars.com/

But there is the awesome PRS Dragon series (*which are the single most bad ass guitars ever) but also start at $19,000

There isn't really a limit. I've got a R9, they're £4.5k here. It's relative.
My most recent purchase and current favourite is a £400 Fender Standard Stratocaster. It plays as well and sounds as good as the most expensive guitars I have.

I believe you can get an excellent instrument for that kind of money. I believe it will hold up over time as well as anything else. It is certainly well built, and the components that can wear out can do so on more expensive guitars too. It is finished in polyester, and the finish will probably hold up better than my Gibson for that sake alone.

I want to break this down into several factors: the function, the durability and the prestige. There is only one of these that is more closely related to price. Guess what that one is?
There's tons of really good guitars out there for under $500 so I can't see myself spending more than that. Brand names aren't that important to me. I do own 2 acoustics that sell new for $700 but I got them used for under $500.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Cool guitars Danny, but a tad out of my price range
I always got a kick out of Gil Yaron prices $10,000ish to start
http://gilyaronguitars.com/

Certainly nice, as are the PRS Dragons.

If I were to start seriously looking at the electrics that have similar costs, there are Thorns, Jersey Girls, Abyss, and many others. Personally, I don't (currently) have the cash and space for guitars in that price range. But like I said, if I did...

To be clear, though, if I'm spending that kind if money on an electric, I am aware that it probably won't play or sound 10+x better than a $1000 Reverend. But that isn't the point of instruments like that. They're as much sculptures as tools. IOW, they're art that can be used to create art.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 11, 2014,
the most I have done was $3100. I have some nice toys and I work my arse off to afford them but I dont think I could ever pay over $4,000 just based mind ****ery. The rule I just made up in my head is that my first car cost $3500 so if I can keep a guitar under that I am golden.

Edit: As some previous users have said. It varies by make for me. Anything that is a fender or fender copy I would not pay over $1k. Set neck stuff definitely more. Stuff like Trussart is just so overpriced for me. I have done the Boutique guitar thing (Duesenberg, MJT, and it is just not worth it and a absolutely pain in the ass to sell)
Last edited by thejester at Nov 11, 2014,
I'd love a VOS Skinner Burst so that's probably just over $5K new for a guitar with a limited run of 150 I think. That's be my limit and I'd only spend that much for that model.

VOS Skinner Burst
Last edited by KenG at Nov 11, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
To be clear, though, if I'm spending that kind if money on an electric, I am aware that it probably won't play or sound 10+x better than a $1000 Reverend. But that isn't the point of instruments like that. They're as much sculptures as tools. IOW, they're art that can be used to create art.

X2 ... totally aware it won't sound 10X better , if any at all .....but I still don't mind dropping some coin now and then , it just depends on the particular guitar and cash on hand at the time of the opportunity .... The PRS Dragon is bad ass but that's not the kind of PRS guitar I would drop money on
I had a Les Paul that I paid a little over $1,000 for. It was in mint condition anddrop-dead gorgeous. Unfortunately, even though it played and sounded great, I had a hard time playing it without worrying about scratching or dinging it. I got rid of it a few months later. I prefer something that I can thrash around. I paid $650 for my Explorer, about 15 years ago, and that's probably my ceiling. My backup guitars never stick around too long. I usually spend between $200-$400, and then I get rid of them when I'm bored or want to try something new. But, hey, that's just me. I'm not a collector, or a professional musician, so I just can't justify dropping a fortune on a PRS, Rickenbacker, or high-end Gibson.
About 8 or 900 usd. Fwiw, we can get dome pretty great variety at this point. I've been gassing for a Perfect 10 bich, but honestly, I probably need a new amp first and foremost.
well there is the realistic answer and the answer based on if I could.

realistically I don't see myself spending more than $1000 anytime soon and I'd have to really like the guitar to spend that much. I'm patient and look for great deals so so far I haven't had to spend more than that.

if I had more money and a true need (not counting winning the lottery etc) I don't see myself spending much more than $2500. not a Les Paul fan and not dying for a Paul reed Smith so I'm thinking I'd be good at that price point.

used is the way to go so you get more bang for your buck. I've only bought one guitar new in the last 20 years.
At this point in time i wouldnt spend more than a grand to 1500. if money was no object, though, i still dont see myself spending more than 3-4 grand unless the guitar really deserved it. just browsing gibsons website they are charging 7-8 grand for guitars I wouldnt even think about buying even if i could. Unless the thing is gold plated or it was Jimmy Page's go-to guitar there's no reason to pay that much
Quote by Clay-man

So is it worth spending so much on a guitar? How much would you spend for a guitar? .

I had one answer ready to go, but realized that it wasn't quite honest (that answer will show up in the next post or two).

I came very close to spending about $240K (that's two hundred and forty thousand dollars) for an original '59 burst from Rumble Seat Music. Maybe three years ago. This one:

Actually, it would have been a trade, for an old car that I own. I was in Ithaca, NY, and they had TWO bursts. One was seriously beaten to shit -- looked like an alligator, it had so much checking and fading and so on. The one I was looking at was nearly new.

Thought long and hard about it and decided not to. Someone else eventually bought the guitar, and my car is now valued closer to $500K by Hagerty Insurance (I think they just want to raise the premiums).
Quote by dspellman
I had one answer ready to go, but realized that it wasn't quite honest (that answer will show up in the next post or two).

I came very close to spending about $240K (that's two hundred and forty thousand dollars) for an original '59 burst from Rumble Seat Music. Maybe three years ago. This one:

Actually, it would have been a trade, for an old car that I own. I was in Ithaca, NY, and they had TWO bursts. One was seriously beaten to shit -- looked like an alligator, it had so much checking and fading and so on. The one I was looking at was nearly new.

Thought long and hard about it and decided not to. Someone else eventually bought the guitar, and my car is now valued closer to $500K by Hagerty Insurance (I think they just want to raise the premiums).

wow. trading a car that I'd be afraid to drive (hate to see what the insurance costs) for a guitar I'd be afraid to play. I should have these problems
Okay, so that one solitary aberration aside, I'd spend up to $10K for a guitar. Maybe.
Most recent expenditures for guitars have been under $1000 for a perfect vintage L6S and around $1400 for a Variax JTV 89F. Before that $4K (plus $1500 worth of changes and modifications) for a Gibson Axcess Custom and $1160 (plus $1500 worth of the same changes and mods) for a custom-built Agile. In there somewhere were a couple of $200 expenditures for one used and one b-Stock Agile (plus another couple of bills each for PLEK and fret superglues on each). Next up is another $1200 or so for another Agile Custom (AL-3200 with Floyd, 25.5" scale, stainless frets, yada yada). About a year ago, my keyboard rig gained around $5K worth of gear, and there's another $2500 purchase lurking.

I *think* that's it. Mostly. Anyone want to buy a $7000 L5-S ? Papa needs the money to buy new stuff <G>.
Quote by monwobobbo
wow. trading a car that I'd be afraid to drive (hate to see what the insurance costs) for a guitar I'd be afraid to play. I should have these problems

I know, right?

At this point, I'm curating things that have changed value for reasons that have nothing to do with me <G>.

Oh -- the insurance isn't as bad as you'd expect. Because it's a "classic" and doesn't get driven much (in my case, not at all), it's around $2500/year.
I have two Trussarts on my bucket list -- a Steel DeVille and a Steelphonic in rust and cream snakeskin:

Quote by dspellman
Okay, so that one solitary aberration aside, I'd spend up to $10K for a guitar. Maybe.
Most recent expenditures for guitars have been under $1000 for a perfect vintage L6S and around $1400 for a Variax JTV 89F. Before that $4K (plus $1500 worth of changes and modifications) for a Gibson Axcess Custom and $1160 (plus $1500 worth of the same changes and mods) for a custom-built Agile. In there somewhere were a couple of $200 expenditures for one used and one b-Stock Agile (plus another couple of bills each for PLEK and fret superglues on each). Next up is another $1200 or so for another Agile Custom (AL-3200 with Floyd, 25.5" scale, stainless frets, yada yada). About a year ago, my keyboard rig gained around $5K worth of gear, and there's another $2500 purchase lurking.

I *think* that's it. Mostly. Anyone want to buy a $7000 L5-S ? Papa needs the money to buy new stuff <G>.

I hope you have plenty of insurance.
My most expensive instrument was around $600 new (but that's not what I paid for it). I don't think I'd ever spend more than twice that on a guitar.
Quote by monwobobbo

Joe Bonamassa has at least three original bursts now. He actually plays them live regularly (his fav being his Principal Skinner). While collectors are the biggest market, some people think even these guitars are meant and even need to be played and enjoyed. Proper care and handling can keep these guitars in great shape for decades. I currently own two Re-issues that I play and would take out to any jam (few as those have occurred lately). I had a very expensive 50th Ann R0 Version 2 new for >$5K guitar that I also played. I sold it because the neck was slimmer than I prefer but I certainly wasnt afraid to strap it on and play it for the 4 years I owned it.

Some people don't seem to realize there's a difference between abuse and normal wear & tear from just playing. Íf you store your guitar properly, wipe it down ater playing, clean it when you should there's no reason to be anxious.

I think this poll is lacking an age category. Someone who's in the early career years may have a different idea of "expensive" or too expensive than some older fellow like me who's been working over 30 years. There was a time I thought $1000 was a huge amount of money too.
Last edited by KenG at Nov 11, 2014,
I paid 2k+ for my custom, but I'm a lefty and around when I got it all my nicer options were that much ahah

I'd say that's my limit though, now get on the other hand... I want an Axe Fx II so bad.
Quote by dspellman
Thought long and hard about it and decided not to.

good.

it was an ugly clown burst, no wonder it was for sale.
Quote by KenG
Joe Bonamassa has at least three original bursts now. He actually plays them live regularly (his fav being his Principal Skinner). While collectors are the biggest market, some people think even these guitars are meant and even need to be played and enjoyed. Proper care and handling can keep these guitars in great shape for decades. I currently own two Re-issues that I play and would take out to any jam (few as those have occurred lately). I had a very expensive 50th Ann R0 Version 2 new for >$5K guitar that I also played. I sold it because the neck was slimmer than I prefer but I certainly wasnt afraid to strap it on and play it for the 4 years I owned it.

Some people don't seem to realize there's a difference between abuse and normal wear & tear from just playing. Íf you store your guitar properly, wipe it down ater playing, clean it when you should there's no reason to be anxious.

I think this poll is lacking an age category. Someone who's in the early career years may have a different idea of "expensive" or too expensive than some older fellow like me who's been working over 30 years. There was a time I thought $1000 was a huge amount of money too.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I think the above is a little presumptive and arrogant. I believe the thread topic is "What is the max YOU'D spend for a guitar?" I gave my two cents.

I am quickly approaching middle-age, I make a decent living (though I'm certainly not rich), and, trust me, I still think that $1,000 is a huge amount of money. You can have your $5,000 Les Pauls, they're just not for me.
It's not so much about how much the guitar costs, but how much money I actually HAVE. If I had the money I wouldn't have a problem paying $2000+ for a guitar, but realistically right now $500-700 is about the most I could afford. Maybe up to $1000 if it was a really nice guitar, but even that would require a lot of saving. I don't like buying anything that I can't actually afford, and never buy anything on credit/loan other than my car (which is now paid off too).

The thing about guitars is you can change/upgrade almost everything on them too, so you can make a lot of cheaper guitars sound and play pretty nice. A good setup often makes more difference than the guitar itself. Plus you can change pickups, electrics/pots, bridge, nut, etc. Even the neck depending on the guitar.
Last edited by bptrav at Nov 12, 2014,
Page 1 of 2