Hi, I'm finding my first tube amp. I play mainly indie and classic rock. I didn't use pedals or stompboxes, I just rely in the amps drive and clean channel. I play clean and from overdrive to a distorted, but not fully distorted (not metal etc.)

My options are:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Laney VC30
Peavey Classic 30

The three around the same budget. What is the best? pros? cons?

Thanks for your opinions
The Peavey Classic sounds great. Im using the HRD right now and I struggle to find a nice saturated tone. I use pedals to get it where I need to be. That being said, it does take them very well if you want to experiment.

I haven't had experience with the Laney, but I almost scooped up one of the newer classics before I just decided to bite the bullet and splurge on a Splawn haha
Classic 30. The distortion on the HRD sucks unless you mod it. The Laney is ok but a bit fizzy and hard to balance out the two channels unless you're gunning it. Personally, I'd take the Classic 30 every time.
Quote by Cathbard
Classic 30. The distortion on the HRD sucks unless you mod it. The Laney is ok but a bit fizzy and hard to balance out the two channels unless you're gunning it. Personally, I'd take the Classic 30 every time.

This. 100%
Dirt on the Hot Rod Deluxe and Hot Rod Deville models suck ass.
But they both take pedals well.
I've only played the Hot Rod Deluxe a few times and couldn't get a good sound on the OD channel.
The Hot Rod Deville I've played a lot (A friend of mine has 2 of them and left one at my house for awhile). I couldn't get a good sound out of the OD channel on that one either.
But a dirt pedal, Tubescreamer and/or a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET both sounded awesome through the clean channel.
It has a great clean channel though.
Talk to Craig, Danny. He's got some mods for the HRD. And as it's Craig, you know they'll be good.
Nah, not gonna mod it. Gonna use my Lawyer powers to get me an Orange and/or Mesa for the heavier stuff.

...after I buy another 8 pedals and 12 more guitars.
haven't ever played the laney so i cannot comment.

+3.1415 the OD on the the HRD blows. it may as well be a one channel amp.

i don't OWN one, but i have played them quite a bit, they get a nice classic rock tone and works great for everything. good cleans. my EXPERIENCE with one was that it was a house amp at an open mic i played at for two years, it works great in the bar environment. we were never mic'd, but we did well as far as sound goes for an open mic. the bar closed. then we all seemed to regroup to another, and that one closed, and i have been working on other things, but i do love the classic 30.

to be honest if i needed a small amp in a setting like that i wold buy a classic
30 hands down, no questions asked.
Quote by Cathbard
What you need is an RM100, Danny. Do it all with one amp.

Or spend almost twice as much and almost get there when you buy a Mark V like I did.

...I still want an RM100 though, almost purely from what Cath has said about them.
The Classic 30 has a nice Voxy Brit tone. I like.

The HRD is a cross between a Blackface Deluxe Reverb and a Twin Reverb for 1/2 price. Ignore the onboard OD channels and use it as you would a Twin with a good OD pedal for drive. A pretty sweet amp if you like the Blackface Fender sound. I prefer pedals to modding the internals. More choices and you won't toast the amp if you goof. I it like a lot.

No experience with the Laney.

Brit vs American tone really. Pick your poison.
Ok, based on your opinions HRD dirty channel sux, so if I want to use the OD of the amplifier I go to Peavey Classic that have more usable drive channel.

Problems balancing two channels on this type of combos I think that are usual, most of them (HRD, Peavey, Laney) doesn't have a master volume, for example.

I will go for a peavey, but more opinions are welcome, and thanks all for your comments.
Go with the Classic 30. Great amp, and takes pedals really well.

...Without the modules that is still not a bad deal. I would hold out and keep an eye open on CL or GC used, they turn up on there every once in a while and can be had for pretty decent prices.
If you don't want to use pedals I'd probably pass on the HRD (though the newest version allegedly has improved the od channels a bit- i haven't tried it).

Quote by Cathbard

that's funny, i preferred the vc30 i'd have said the vc30 was a bit smoother on the od channel, and the peavey can rattle at higher volumes.

but they're both pretty nice for the money, that's not to say i dislike the c30.
It's a bit of a coin toss really, tbh. I quite like the VC30 too - if you change the speaker. They have a Seventy 80 in them IIRC.
Yeah. That being said the one I tried was totally stock (I think) and I still thought I preferred it to the C30. Granted, I'm guessing a speaker swap wouldn't hurt the C30 either.