New guitar player here. A buddy of mine found a deal for a transparent black 2011 Taylor 614ce for $1.5k from a garage sale. It was in great condition, came with the case, picks, spare batteries, even a guitar stand. Everything is working properly, it's genuine taylor (at least the insides and bridge pins say taylor and look geunine) and the previous owner upgraded the saddle from tusq to bone.

My friend said it was a great deal so I bought the guitar on the spot.

The guitar sounds great and the electronics sound great plugged in. But now I'm having buyer's remorse because the guitar was so expensive, at least for my budget.

Since I don't know much about guitars, I'd like to ask the community if this was a good deal or not.

Thanks for your help,
it's not a bad deal, although it's not amazing, either. you definitely didn't get ripped off.

while i wouldn't have suggested it for a newer player, it's a very nice guitar with great high end sparkle - the 614 is one of my personal favorite taylors as i really love the tone. hopefully you'll play and enjoy it for years, but if you don't, you can sell it for close to what you paid for it - or maybe more if you're patient and a good haggler.
$1500 for $3000(new) guitar in great condition seems like a good deal to me. The picks, stand, batteries, saddle upgrade(although I'm not convinced bone is really an upgrade over tusq) are very minimal cost but still. I don't know what kind of music you favor but this is a classical guitar. I mean you can still play anything on it but it probably wouldn't be the preferred guitar for rock or country.
Quote by rohash
I don't know what kind of music you favor but this is a classical guitar.

...No it's not. It's a steel string acoustic. And it'll be great for any kind of acoustic music, as long as you don't mind it being pretty bright. Maple and Spruce make for a far brighter guitar than a rosewood or a mahogany.
Quote by kasakuri
But now I'm having buyer's remorse because the guitar was so expensive, at least for my budget.

No need to feel any buyer's remorse unless you've put yourself in a bad position financially by spending that money. That's a world-class guitar which will last your entire life and your children's lives if you take care of it, and you got a great deal on it, to boot.
Compared with recent eBay sales, it looks like a good price, and it is certainly a very good guitar. A big committeemen for a first (?) guitar, - but if you can afford it (!!) and it encourages you to play, then I see no reason for remorse.
Quote by the_bi99man
...No it's not. It's a steel string acoustic. And it'll be great for any kind of acoustic music, as long as you don't mind it being pretty bright. Maple and Spruce make for a far brighter guitar than a rosewood or a mahogany.

I don't know? Musicians Friend has it listed as a nylon string. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-614ce-n-maple-spruce-nylon-string-grand-auditorium-acoustic-electric-guitar?rNtt=taylor 614ce&index=2#productDetail

If it's a steel string, all the better!
Last edited by rohash at Nov 12, 2014,
Quote by rohash
I don't know? Musicians Friend has it listed as a nylon string. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-614ce-n-maple-spruce-nylon-string-grand-auditorium-acoustic-electric-guitar?rNtt=taylor 614ce&index=2#productDetail

If it's a steel string, all the better!

You link points to the 614ce-N, which is indeed a nylon string, not the 614ce. Patticake beat me to it.
that's a fantastic deal on a 614ce ! if you check out the pricing on Ebay, you'll see that you indeed get a great price on it. I have an '08 614ce( NAMM Hot Rod). it's slightly different than yours as mine has painted graphics and a Florentine cutaway but it's value is easily twice what you paid. also have a '13 616ce ( 2 really but, one's got an Ebony back and sides) that was much more than that new.
sleep well knowing that you paid a great price on a guitar that will last a few generations.
I use mine a lot for harder rock as well as softer fingerstyle stuff. it plays A7X just as easily as John Mayer. don't let anyone tell you it doesn't do a specific genre well, they apparently haven't spent a lot of time with one. the focused, even tone is excellent for just about anything.
it's true that they tend to be a bit brighter than a lot of guitars but experimenting with different strings will help tone that down if you don't like it( I prefer it myself).
Thanks for all the answer guys.

I made an impulse decision to buy it without doing much research before hand so am glad to hear that it was a good deal.

Anyways, having such a pricey guitar will definitely motivate me to up my game
Quote by stepchildusmc
also have a '13 616ce ( 2 really but, one's got an Ebony back and sides)

You got one of those spring limiteds with the Ebony? Good call. We had one at the store I work in. Most beautiful guitar I've ever seen in person, and among the best sounding. That fretboard and bridge ebony is a dream tonewood. And looks amazing when it's not dyed a uniform black.

If anyone hasn't seen this, check out this thing. http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/614ce-ltd