Hello, people of UltimateGuitar. I'm just posting here because I wanted to know if anyone could help me with a pickle in which I've found myself in regards to the tremolo on what I believe to be an Epiphone S-310. I don't know a massive amount about guitars, as they are quite new to me, but I hope you will bear with me as I attempt to describe what seems to have gone wrong:

The tremolo arm on this thing was giving me a hard time, in the sense that it was really hard to swivel, and nearly impossible to unscrew, as it was bent a bit in its socket. After bending it back a bit so it would come out, I unscrewed the arm and removed it. This is all fine and good, but I noticed something weird when I examined the threads on the arm. There appears to be metal filling the grooves between some of the threads, almost as if someone had melted solder over them. Worried that these filled threads might have destroyed the female threading on the rest of the tremolo, I tried to screw the arm back in, only to find that that wasn't going to happen. I simply can't get it started.

So before I get hasty and try to modify anything, I'd like to ask for an opinion as to what I can to do fix this thing .
Last edited by conlan0215 at Nov 11, 2014,
Buy a thread file and clean the threads. Your local hardware store should be able to help you match the threads to the right file
Buy a thread file and clean the threads. Your local hardware store should be able to help you match the threads to the right file

I would do that, but i'm not entirely sure that whatever this is on those threads shouldn't be there. I'm curious if anyone can explain why the spaces between the bottom few threads are filled with metal.
It's completely stripped. You or someone cross threaded it screwing the bar in. Aside from replacing the bar, you can get a thread die in the correct size and try to re thread the arm at the end where the threads are smashed. You better hope the collar it screws into doesn't look like that as I'm not sure that part is able to be replaced on a vintage trem like that.
It's completely stripped. You or someone cross threaded it screwing the bar in.

Well, shoot. I was afraid of that. Luckily for me, I can't say it was my fault, as this is my friend's guitar, and I wanted to see what I could do to fix it up ('Twas in need of it). I'm afraid that I don't have the money to invest in a thread die, so I think that I'm left with three options here. I can either attempt to file in new threads by hand, completely grind off the smashed threads, or look for a new tremolo. Being that parts on this guitar are hard enough to find, I think I'll go ahead and start by shaving away at the filled valleys between the threads.

Thanks, and wish me luck!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If getting a die isn't an option, just slice off the stripped tip with a hacksaw.

Did the next best thing. Ground it off with a.... well, a grinder. AND IT WORKED!
Last edited by conlan0215 at Nov 12, 2014,