Page 1 of 4
A species from this planet have built a thing that's landed on a ball of ice and dust 2.5 miles wide, after a 6.4 billion km journey.

That's pretty cool go science.
wheres the livestream

Also poor comet. Did it give CONSENT to be VIOLATED by our human machines?!!? #notallcomets
Last edited by Wormholes at Nov 12, 2014,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Imagine the maths behind that though

i know, its fvcking insane, those scientists/mathematicians deserve a lot of praise for pulling that off. The data they'll get from the comet will be immensely valuable too, this is a pretty big step forward for science
pfft it can't be that difficult to fling it round some big rocks and shit
Quote by Wikipedia

Rosetta was launched on 2 March 2004 on an Ariane 5 rocket and reached the comet on 6 August 2014

Ten years. Ten years of planning. Ten years of hoping nothing goes wrong. Insane.

Space exploration always blows my mind. It takes 20 minutes just to send an instruction to this thing and another 20 minutes for the data to return from it to Earth.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
so is it gonna start drilling for space oil or what?

Oh, it's drilling all right. That comet is getting probed all****ing night.

What the ESA didn't tell anyone was that they've been transmitting Barry White songs to the comet for 3 days now.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
so is it gonna start drilling for space oil or what?

dilithium crystals?

I can't see how, the nearest mine is in the beta quadrant.
I know

But you can't very well mine antimatter and more often than not a lack of dilithium is the cause of panic.

Do you even Voyager
Quote by eGraham
I know

But you can't very well mine antimatter and more often than not a lack of dilithium is the cause of panic.

Do you even Voyager

No, because I only watch good Star Trek.

Voyager is like aborting a foetus only to find out it's the Thing.
Quote by Bladez22

let's all just stop and appreciate how ****ing rad this is. good job, humanity. we're doing some cool shit.
So yeah, we waste time looking at space and all that s**t and don't give a f*** about how's ebola going in Africa, capitalism enslaving us all and the USA taking over the world as if it's theirs.

Good job humanity!
Quote by mp8andrade
So yeah, we waste time looking at space and all that s**t and don't give a f*** about how's ebola going in Africa, capitalism enslaving us all and the USA taking over the world as if it's theirs.

Good job humanity!

There was a whole thread dedicated to Ebola (and it's probably not even that far buried, knowing how slow the Pit is these days), we talk about how much capitalism sucks in damn near every thread, and the US hasn't invaded a sovereign state in like two whole years.

Why is it such a bad thing to keep working on space technology so we can get off this god forsaken rock?
Quote by mp8andrade

Good job humanity!

its almost as if rocket scientists aren't microbiologists or economists, funny that. This mission was proposed in 1985, and started planning in 1993. We've had non-stop news about how fvcked up humanity is and how awful we are, wars going on, mass rapings, ebola killing us all, and here's something amazing that an international team has done, and people are still calling it awful. 100 years ago countries in Europe were killing each other on a scale the likes of which had never been seen. But today they've pulled off a 10 year plan and have achieved something pretty great

the end goal of this is to see if there are any amino acids or any other substance that can help us further understand the universe and how life started on earth. If successful this could help prove that life on earth started from one of the many comets that hit it. It wasn't just to show off, its going to provide some very useful information

Quote by Cardbored
So it landed.... now what?

now its going to drill and take samples of the rock and see what's there
I really dont get why the thread title is a hastag like really why?
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Nov 12, 2014,
Quote by Wormholes
wheres the livestream

Also poor comet. Did it give CONSENT to be VIOLATED by our human machines?!!? #notallcomets

thanks for posting this hilarious comedy here on ultimate guitar dot com
Quote by slapsymcdougal
What the ESA didn't tell anyone was that they've been transmitting Barry White songs to the comet for 3 days now.

Now that is a new low for the human race, we set a new high, and drown it out with Barry White.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Now that is a new low for the human race, we set a new high, and drown it out with Barry White.

Barry was chosen by a small majority over a continuous loop of You Can Leave Your Hat On by Tom Jones.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Barry was chosen by a small majority over a continuous loop of You Can Leave Your Hat On by Tom Jones.

Upon the exit of deep space hibernation earlier this year, one team member suggested Afternoon Delight by the Starlight Vocal Band but was immediately vetoed by all other staff present.
Watching that gif just boggles my mind.

It's so damn cool that we can figure out where exactly the planets are going to be in their orbit at a given time and meet it just in time it for a gravity boost.

Kudos to the scientists who had to calculate and plan that out
Page 1 of 4