Well its about that time folks,time to get a new guitar. I have about $1200 to spend and my choices were and american strat delux or a PRS Custom 24. I dont care if either of them are used also. I current have 92 MIM strat with tex/mex pickups through a fender tube amp w/some pedals.I play blues and classic rock essentially. Im really digging the PRS a lot and was wondering if any of you out there can give me some insight on this particular model like how does is come right out of the box,hows the action and does it hold tune well. This would also be my first humbucker guitar as well. Again, thanks guys
I don't know why nobody responded to your post...I guess it got lost in the shuffle. I do not own a PRS (I hope to soon) but I have done a lot of reading on them, with emphasis on the S2 Custom 24 and the SE Custom 24. It is my understanding that these guitars are typically ready to go right out of the box as they are professionally set up before leaving the factory. They are also known for having a low action, and if not they are known for being very easy to adjust, without fret buzz. I haven't read about too many PRS tuning issues. Hope this helps some. Happy shopping.
You must mean the PRS S2 Cu24, if so get a used PRS CE24.

These are identical to the regular Cu24 but have a bolt-thru maple neck. much better than the new S2 series
if you mean the american made regular line, custom 24, but the S2, then get that. i think its a far higher quality intrument.

personally, i dont think an american strat will feel much different than a mexi strat. a strat is a strat. they are built almost exactly the same, the USA model will just have higher quality everything, better fit and finish, and probably sound better. but really i dont think its going to feel like you spend 1200 on a much different item.

if you really like strats then get the strat. if you are looking for something different i think the PRS will be the change and not to mention i think any USA made PRS, non S2 line absolutely destroys snything fender makes in terms of build quality. perhaps with exception of custom shops and EVH line. and perhaps some custom jacksons.
Personally, I loved the S2 that I played at GC. It was the Custom 24 model, at it played absolutely fantastic. The general feelings about the S2 line are pretty mixed; some love them, some hate them. If you can find one and play it, then do that. The one I played was one of the best playing guitars I have ever held. If you can't play one, play all of the strats you can get your hands on. If you find the one, then get it. If not, get the PRS.
i just think the S2 is almost identical to the SE but hundreds more. not a fan.
If you're comparing the PRS S2, you're literally comparing the top of the line American made Stratocaster to the starter point, stripped down, American made PRS. If that sounds okay to you, then fine, but the Fender is going to be the better buy.
Quote by HomerSGR
If you're comparing the PRS S2, you're literally comparing the top of the line American made Stratocaster to the starter point, stripped down, American made PRS. If that sounds okay to you, then fine, but the Fender is going to be the better buy.

Not by a long shot.
I'd be willing to bet the PRS S2 is made better. Remember PRS kicks the shit out of any other production company out there besides Musicman and G&L when it comes to QC
I have a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd. I changed the pups to my standard Duncan JB/Jazz combo and the thing plays and sounds awesome.
The SE is Korean made - by an large they are great instrument, I would even go as far as best bank for buck for a guitar in that price range. It is a great platform to upgrade if you want to change pick ups and tuners and nut. The build quality is exception, better than USA made Gibson IMO.

PRS S2 - USA made, imported pick ups. It is cheaper by cutting corners mostly in the less carved top, less fancy top and some of the parts are made overseas. Though it is still a great guitar, in fact, very good value if you think about it as it is a USA made guitar, it is made in the same factory as the Core PRS. The only downside isn't the guitar itself but it faces competition from its own core PRS in the secondhand market.

PRS - If these are the one you mean then they are out of your $1200 budget new. They are very good guitars, I have one. The 57/08 and the 59/09 pick ups are great, the 59/09 being hotter of the 2. Impeccable quality, perfect intonation, stays in tune like forever and arguably the best tremolo system in any guitar. Mine is VERY resonant, hit a string and it rings and rings, weights 7.2lb. I also have a CU22 Special, a Stripped 58 and a 305. As you can tell, i am quite a fan!

Last edited by raymond lin at Nov 17, 2014,
For $1200 you can easily pick up a CE24 though, it's bolt on neck, amazing guitar for the money but you might even get a more recent CU24 if you look around. I've seen McCarty go for that much, my 305 I just picked up I paid $1199 from a dealer.
Quote by Robbgnarly
You must mean the PRS S2 Cu24, if so get a used PRS CE24.

These are identical to the regular Cu24 but have a bolt-thru maple neck. much better than the new S2 series

I wonder who's made more recommendations; Rob about the CE24 or Danny about Reverend?
Quote by JustRooster
I wonder who's made more recommendations; Rob about the CE24 or Danny about Reverend?

Me Mofo

PRS CE is a great guitar and for the money used is really hard to beat unless you have a very specific taste
I just bought a CE 24 a few weeks ago for $1100USD, and I couldn't be happier right now. I actually have a NGD and a review I just recently posted. They're superb bang for the buck. Mine didn't have a maple top (as far as I know, as it has a solid fjnish) but you could probably get a CE with a maple top for $1200. I bought mine through Reverb .com
Quote by AWACS
I just bought a CE 24 a few weeks ago for $1100USD, and I couldn't be happier right now. I actually have a NGD and a review I just recently posted. They're superb bang for the buck. Mine didn't have a maple top (as far as I know, as it has a solid fjnish) but you could probably get a CE with a maple top for $1200. I bought mine through Reverb .com

The CE24 has a maple top even if it is solid. There was a solid Mahogany version made for a while, basically the bolt-thru version of the PRS Standard 22/24
I def meant the S2 and not the regular custom model but after playing an SE model it looks like im going to go with that. You really cant beat the price and the quality IMO. And with extra $$$ i will be saving I can get a hardcase immediately and possibly new tuners and pickups down the road if I so choose. Thanks for all your insight people. I really appreciate it
Quote by strat-O-matic92
I def meant the S2 and not the regular custom model but after playing an SE model it looks like im going to go with that. You really cant beat the price and the quality IMO. And with extra $$$ i will be saving I can get a hardcase immediately and possibly new tuners and pickups down the road if I so choose. Thanks for all your insight people. I really appreciate it

You can get the SE custom 22/24 for $300-$350 used if your really looking for a deal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've played and loved both but I wouldn't trade my USA Deluxe (HSH) strat for anything, except maybe a carvin built to my specs. The satin neck is just so perfect, not to thin or thick but just, and I mean just, right. Tuning stability is great if you don't go crazy on the wilkinson bridge, everything seems perfect (except the 11th fret of the high e string is buzzy). Overall I am VERY happy with my purchase even if the aesthetics aren't exactly mind blowing or if Fender doesn't have a perfect track record. Why should you give two ****s anyways? Play everything you can possibly afford and get the one you really (not kinda) like.

I NEVER thought I'd buy a humbucker strat, I didn't even want to like it at first, I really wanted to get the ESP and JP musicman guitars they had, but I wasn't really jiving with them and I kept coming back to the Fender. Kinda sounds like relationships but thats the way it works sometimes

So point is, try whatever you possibly can in your budget and forget who made it.
I think the SE is good for the money but i was'nt quite happy with the pups so i put a JB/Jazz in and i blocked the trem.Now it stays in tune and sounds nice(but not like a PRS).I played an S2 and could'nt fault it,Very nice.Then i played a top end CU24 and i was blown away,It was perfect infact it was better than i expected.I bent a note up and it sang.It went into this beautiful harmonic at the top of the bend,Kinda like feedback but perfectly controled and in tune.Very nice indeed.
I just picked up the SE Custom 24 on a Black Friday deal from Sweetwater for $398 and free shipping. It arrives today and I'm excited to get my hands on it. For that price it won't bother me to upgrade a few things, if necessary.
The only bad thing ive heard so far were that the tuners kinda suck. Those are cheap to upgrade and you still have a fantastic playing guitar IMO