Thanks Frank....jk. I need a little more guidance. I also, maybe I'm wrong, understand there are modal transition in this process. I play in drop c on a 7 string. Could you tell me the notes?
Adendum
I have a swampy delta blues riff I'd like to have a Classical picks weep with.
Notes to what? I think Dave had a fair point, it was maybe oversimplified but if you want to move from pentatonics into a neoclassical style, harmonic and natural minor scales are a good place to start. You could start with learning how to build those scales, and then how to apply them into your music.
A duh...troll face. I was looking for an example. Ie. acdeg something simple I could work with. Trying to drum up a conversation here. Not a retortort.
In other words peepeeface, I'm trying to articulate what I know with someone who won't tell me to poopoo standing up.
Well, why don't you just figure out the notes yourself? It's no that hard, just choose a root note, then follow with a major second, a minor third, a perfect fourth, a perfect fifth, a minor sixth and a major seventh. Ta da, you got yourself a harmonic minor scale. You can do the same thing, but replace the major seventh with a minor seventh and you get a natural minor scale.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about, you should probably learn the basics of music theory before you try to apply neoclassical influence into a blues song.
I'm just wondering why you don't get the point of a conversation, especially when you wee
C D Eb F G Ab B C

C harmonic minor.

You get more help if you're pleasant. Try that.

Remember, the internet is srs bidness
Quote by fimbles
understand there are modal transition in this process

What do you mean by this? Are you referring to modes? If so, throw that idea right out the window. This thread demonstrates you're not even fully understanding tonal harmony.

And quit the attitude.
I heard the M-word.

So help me, I will link both the threads, drop the mic and walk away.
I too I don't I care. This is a verbal open jam session not a production studio.
Thnx drix. Just what I was looking. For, a starting point ))
Peng and atx modal would be like a different position with a similar shape with different notes. **** you Jt (radio chumpage; outta context) not to be confused with relative major or minor. Not sure if both or either work. O sorry peng is gonna link something.

Ps.. Last post was to peepeepoopoocaccahead.
Quote by fimbles
Thnx drix. Just what I was looking. For, a starting point ))
Peng and atx modal would be like a different position with a similar shape with different notes. **** you Jt (radio chumpage; outta context) not to be confused with relative major or minor. Not sure if both or either work. O sorry peng is gonna link something.

Ps.. Last post was to peepeepoopoocaccahead.

This is what the pit does to people.
Hi Fimbles,

What are the pitches you're using for 7 string drop-C tuning? (Different folk use different terms here)

One easy thing to try out is chromaticism. You can add it to pentatonics to very effectively disguise it, and make great sounding lines. But it can used with any scale, so useful (to a degree) with harmonic minor. I say "to a degree" as too much use will start blurring the sound flavour created by the HM scale.

I made a short lesson for a buddy of mine on soundcloud, as he was interested in chromaticism. Main meat starts about 2 minutes in (first couple talk about on- and off-beats, which are pretty critical to emphasising or de-emphasing a note (i.e "getting away with it". Here's the link. May give you some ideas. https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1/tips-for-using-chromaticism. You can download it.

Here's the HM scale rooted off 6th and 5th strings, on std tuning. I'll let you have shapes for drop C once you reply.

cheers, Jerry

(p.s. no point in getting wound up / insulting. Waste of energy, mate. Just enjoy the guitar!!)
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Nov 13, 2014,
Quote by Morphogenesis26

the lad's a Nov 14er. He's spent more time here than in the Pit, so...I guess this is what MT does to people? Either way his posting style is borderline genius.
Minor pentatonic is great but it's not classical. Got to get familiar with major scale, harmonic minor and arpeggios.
Thank you kram, I'll practice this a little later. First I'll write it down and transcribe the notes. Also thanks to drix again for the notes. Also I'll get back to you about the pitches I use. By that I assume you means the notes I use.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Notes to what? I think Dave had a fair point, it was maybe oversimplified but if you want to move from pentatonics into a neoclassical style, harmonic and natural minor scales are a good place to start. You could start with learning how to build those scales, and then how to apply them into your music.

Sorry I'm kind of lazy

Yeah natural minor is root, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7 (so in C it'd be C D Eb F G Ab Bb)

Harmonic minor is the same except for a major 7th instead of the flat/minor 7th (so in C it'd be C D Eb F G Ab B)

With the natural minor you can pretty much just use your existing minor pentatonic shapes, you just need to remember to put in the two "extra" notes (the 2 and the b6)

You can try that with the harmonic minor as well, but you also need to remember to substitute the b7 of the minor pentatonic shape with the natural/major 7th of the harmonic minor scale.
Quote by Baby Joel
the lad's a Nov 14er. He's spent more time here than in the Pit, so...I guess this is what MT does to people? Either way his posting style is borderline genius.

You're using proper grammar and spelling every now and then? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED YOU CISGENDERED CAD!

#Patriarchy

#YesAllEan

#RIMsAreForSuckers

#HailHydra
Quote by Morphogenesis26

No, being in the Pit doesn't cause you to speak like you forgot basic English.
Quote by fimbles
Thank you kram, I'll practice this a little later. First I'll write it down and transcribe the notes. Also thanks to drix again for the notes. Also I'll get back to you about the pitches I use. By that I assume you means the notes I use.

Yes, what notes do you have your guitar tuned to? I'll let you have a few shapes then to get you going.

(I use "pitch" rather than "note" as "note" also implies a time duration (as in notes written down on sheet music)

Some of the cooler lines you can build out of harmonic minor include using arpreggios from diminished 7 chord (which can be found in HM). Yngwie etc etc use this a lot. Sounds great if played as a pattern slide-shifting up the neck

cheers, Jerry
Sorry its been so long. Ive been busy. To clarify, I dont think the scales, although very helpful, are what time m looking for. I believe the jist of what it is i am trying to work on is Chrimaticism and sequencing. Since its been a while sincerely ive been on here, ill jave to gey my head straight again
Quote by fimbles
Thanks Frank....jk. I need a little more guidance. I also, maybe I'm wrong, understand there are modal transition in this process. I play in drop c on a 7 string. Could you tell me the notes?

You're not ready for modes. Learn the natural minor scale and the harmonic minor.
http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/guitarscales/c-natural-minor-scale.html
http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/guitarscales/c-harmonic-minor-scale.html
I'm calling this a troll thread and shutting it down. There are too many kindergarten insults for me to believe this guy is serious. Fimbles- if you want people to take the time to provide helpful answers to your questions you can at least take the time to spell properly.
Si