So I have this small show coming up. However I have a halfstack and my rhythm player and bassist have 15 watt combos. If our singer is running the mic through the PA, can I mic the bass and rhythm and play my halfstack unmiced? Or would it sound better to mic it all? Because 15 watts unmixed will not be heard at all.
Mic as many as you need to or just turn down the half stack. Remember that adding mics requires a lot more setup time and a skilled sound tech at the board to get your band balanced.

I often gig with a 15w Fender combo amp and rarely have a problem being heard above the drums.
You're sure that it won't sound wierd? Because the PA is right above the stage.
Quote by AOD3
You're sure that it won't sound wierd? Because the PA is right above the stage.

How it sounds really depends on mic placement, skill and sensitivity of the players, and and skills of the guy doing the mixing. Now if the guy playing thru a half stack just dimes the thing and is oblivious to all the other players volume, it will sound bush league for sure.

EVH got kicked out of several clubs in the early days in LA for playing too loud until he discovered the variac to tame and control his 100w Marshall stage volume.

Maybe rent a nice 15w tube amp and leave the stack at home so everyone's volume will be balanced on stage from the first note??
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 13, 2014,