Bringing this thread back since it went unresolved before. Maybe someone out there can help me this time?

So since the finish on this guitar is so heavy I can't quite make out the numbers on the back of the headstock. I need the number so that I could figure out what year it is so that I could figure out what pickups are in the guitar. All I know is they are either '57s or a combo of 490R and 498T and it all depends on the year that this one was manufactured. So does anyone know how to tell?

Here's a picture of the guitar
Attachments:
rsz_3img_2129.jpg
Last edited by andersondb7 at Nov 13, 2014,
Not possible to tell from that photo. Can you take a picture of the back of the headstock?
Lots of SG models had that pick guard shape. Take a closeup pic or hi-res scan of the front and back of the head stock under daylight or really good indoor lighting for a more useful response.
ok I posted a pic of the headstock, but you still can't see through the finish. anyone know any other way to figure this out?
Quote by Cajundaddy
No clearly visible serial # means it's a Chinese knockoff, a re-finish, or stolen. Lowest possible resale value.

Here is the Gibson SG fact page:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/gibson-sg-facts-0408-2011.aspx

Are you sure? it seems like the real deal to me, but I could be mistaken. Could you give me the fact number? I'm having trouble finding anything on this on that page.
Quote by andersondb7
Are you sure? it seems like the real deal to me, but I could be mistaken. Could you give me the fact number? I'm having trouble finding anything on this on that page.

I haven't seen the front of the headstock or a closeup of the bridge yet but so far it looks like a nice recent vintage asian knockoff. Probably less than 10 yrs old.

Scroll down this page to see what a real Gibson headstock looks like on the back:
http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial
Where did you buy it from? The serial number is usually WAY more visible than that.
ok u guys i solved the mystery of the hard to distinguish serial code by catching the light from a particular angle. the letters make out made in USA and 2008. It is clear. Who knows what pickups are in 2008 Gibson SGs?
Quote by andersondb7
i read on another forum that it could be 490R and 498T. safe bet?

Most likely.
Quote by Cajundaddy
No clearly visible serial # means it's a Chinese knockoff, a re-finish, or stolen. Lowest possible resale value.

Here is the Gibson SG fact page:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/gibson-sg-facts-0408-2011.aspx

I had a Studio LP that had an almost completely illegible serial and it turned out to be 100% legit.

Some of the stamped (not printed) headstock models have issues with the nitro settling flat and they're only visible by taking a rubbing.

@ OP:

If you want to know what pickups they are, why not just pull them and read the back?
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Nov 14, 2014,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I had a Studio LP that had an almost completely illegible serial and it turned out to be 100% legit.

Some of the stamped (not printed) headstock models have issues with the nitro settling flat and they're only visible by taking a rubbing.

@ OP:

If you want to know what pickups they are, why not just pull them and read the back?

That's a good question.