So, I have a dilemma on which option to go for. A few weeks ago I planned to spend ~$1700 to $2000 AUD to get a set of studio monitors. However, a recent redundancy has made me rethink my options.

So I have:
OPTION 1: Buy a set of 5 inch monitors (ie JBL LSR 305, Eris E5) and use these for now and upgrade once I start working, ~$350 to $450 AUD.

OPTION 2: Buy some 7-8 inch monitors (ie Event 20/20, Adam F7) keep them for a few years then upgrade, ~$800 to $1000 AUD.

OPTION 3: Stick to my original plan and go and buy a set of Adam A7X, Focal CMS65, Neumann KH120, etc…

These will be my first set of studio monitors – up until now I have just been using headphones. I tend to record and play rock, pop type stuff. I will be playing guitar through these monitors at times as well. Also, the room I am using at the moment is only ~3x3m.

Would appreciate other peoples thoughts.
I'd go with option 1 or 2, then spend the rest on room treatment. Single biggest difference in my monitoring situation
$2k is a lot of scratch for a hobbyist set of monitors. A good useable set can be found for $500 or less but if money is no object get whatever you like. Did I read that you are not currently working? Maybe save those hi-end, hi-dollar monitors til you have a fat bank account.
Quote by chaosmoon
I'd go with option 1 or 2, then spend the rest on room treatment. Single biggest difference in my monitoring situation
Up for this.

For that money, get a pair of ZenPro mod'd HS8's.
Quote by Spambot_2
For that money, get a pair of ZenPro mod'd HS8's.

Cool - Option 1 or 2 sounds like the way to go which will leave money left over for any required room treatment.

ZenPro Modded HS8's sound cool - but coming from Aust, not a practical option. But I will place the HS8 on my list of 5 to 8 inch monitors in the $350 to $1000 bracket to go and listen to.
I honestly wouldn't spend that much unless I'm making some scratch from that studio. I'd get a new pair of Yamaha's for $600 and call it a day. I've done decent job on Alesis home monitors for home studio situation. As long as you know what to listen to....

Treatment is more important and placement in this price range.

I honestly didn't like the A7 much.
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 13, 2014,