Hello!

So, Im probably going to buy this head, but first, since I wont be able to mic it, I would like to know if anyone could provide some samples (metal) of this head recorded through preamp out and fx send, with some IR...
I searched everywhere and I could only find opinions, not samples ;/

Thanks a lot!
it wouldn't sound near as good as the amp. why can't you mic it? i mic anything from mesas to splawns. i don't see why you wouldn't do it. then you get the true sound.

again an opinion, but if you haven't heard had demo sometimes there is a reason.
^+1 micing a cab is way better than going direct out, unless you have some good cab impulses you plan to use.
I cant mic because I live in an apartment, I had a roland micro cube and people complained a lot, even with me playing with very low volume... I have some pretty good IR's I plan to use! I know it wont be as good, but I would like to really hear it instead of going blind ;s thanks!
I'm thinking either a POD with headphones or a monitor or Revalver Software on your computer (again with headphones or speakers) would be a better way to go here.
So, about plugins I already have every single one you can imagine, Guitar Rig, Revalver, Guitar farm, S gear, Amplitube... I really dont like their sound, thats why I want a real tube amp! Already had a pod hd500 too, did not like it much.
Thanks!
Yea, whats the point of buying the head if you cant use it? To be fair, I get that the amp is awesome and you probably want it just because it is what it is. Im the same way. If i had more money I would buy more equipment than I could even get use out of, simply because I love it. But its probably better to be smart about it and weigh the usefulness that you will get from it verses how much you will be spending. In my opinion, you will probably get the same quality tone if you use a free lepou amp sim and impulse versus going fx send from the 5150 iii to impulse.
^ Yeah, amp sims sound can sound really good in recordings.

Tube amps often sound better than modelers, but not if you play on very low volume.
Sorry but I have to disagree, I have a tube preamp and it sounds way better than any plugin I have... It wont be low volume, it will be recorded directly from the preamp, I dont think it's worse than a plugin in any matter, but I would like to have a sample to really know how it compares to the mic'd one...
Quote by urraurra
Sorry but I have to disagree, I have a tube preamp and it sounds way better than any plugin I have... It wont be low volume, it will be recorded directly from the preamp, I dont think it's worse than a plugin in any matter, but I would like to have a sample to really know how it compares to the mic'd one...

I have to disagree, my amp needs to be cranked up past a volume of 5 (with some gain) to have a good tone. Trust me when I say 5 is extremely loud, house shaking. But with even a moderately loud bedroom vloume, the tone really sux, like really, and that amp's retail price was $1900... So I got an HD500x (running it straight to the FX loop return of my amp) and I am loving it and it sounds great at any volume low or high. Some amps are just meant to be played loud, and aren't worth getting otherwise.
Quote by JGM258
I have to disagree, my amp needs to be cranked up past a volume of 5 (with some gain) to have a good tone. Trust me when I say 5 is extremely loud, house shaking. But with even a moderately loud bedroom vloume, the tone really sux, like really, and that amp's retail price was $1900... So I got an HD500x (running it straight to the FX loop return of my amp) and I am loving it and it sounds great at any volume low or high. Some amps are just meant to be played loud, and aren't worth getting otherwise.

It would be connect directly out of the preamp or fx send, so it would be completely silent, no matter what volume I dial in. I just would like a sample of a direct recording of the evh 5150 50W directly through preamp out or fx send! I wont go back to digital thingies, I hate the hd 500 sound
Last edited by urraurra at Nov 13, 2014,
If you don't like the POD HD, check out 11rack or Axe FX.

Or like I said you will need a good cab impulse to run after the line/fx out of the amp. you will also need to keep a load on the amp or you will ruin the OT
Quote by Watterboy
I found this clip of the headphone out. Hopefully this helps you. Im sure there are more too. This one is using an impulse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JItfXP89azE&sns=em

Hello! Well, this one was one of the three I could find, but all of them was with that headphone out... I guess no one tried with the preamp out or fx send

Although I think the recording was pretty good, some ppl said the headphone out was crap ;s
So, what you guys think about using a loadbox? I thought about a Bluestone Pro or a Corvus Audio Loadbox II! I guess I would have a "better" sound this way...

Thanks!
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you don't like the POD HD, check out 11rack or Axe FX.

Or like I said you will need a good cab impulse to run after the line/fx out of the amp. you will also need to keep a load on the amp or you will ruin the OT

Those are too expensive for me haha! Actually, the EVH 5150 III 50w dont need a load, it has a shorting speaker out, so its safe to use without a cab!
Quote by urraurra
Those are too expensive for me haha! Actually, the EVH 5150 III 50w dont need a load, it has a shorting speaker out, so its safe to use without a cab!

Well then a good cab impulse would do you very well.

But trust me you will want a speaker cab eventually, then the 5150 III is 100% gig able if you get to that point
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well then a good cab impulse would do you very well.

But trust me you will want a speaker cab eventually, then the 5150 III is 100% gig able if you get to that point

Yeah I know, but I do not have a band nor the time, so its more a hobby thing... Im thinking about a loadbox to be able to use the power saturation too!
Quote by urraurra
Yeah I know, but I do not have a band nor the time, so its more a hobby thing... Im thinking about a loadbox to be able to use the power saturation too!

The only way you will get results from the power scaling feature is if you run it through a cab. If your using the silent method you will not have any of the power section running through the impulse, all the sound is coming from the preamp only.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The only way you will get results from the power scaling feature is if you run it through a cab. If your using the silent method you will not have any of the power section running through the impulse, all the sound is coming from the preamp only.

But with the loadbox I would connect it through speaker out and would be able to give it some volume, so the loadbox would send a line signal, as if it were mic'd! I imagine it wont be as good as a mic'd one but still better than fx send with impulses!
Quote by urraurra
But with the loadbox I would connect it through speaker out and would be able to give it some volume, so the loadbox would send a line signal, as if it were mic'd! I imagine it wont be as good as a mic'd one but still better than fx send with impulses!

Just my 2 cents- based on my personal experiences (which arent extensive but Ive done a decent bit of comparisons) with using tube amps for recording, amp sims, or direct sends from amps, i kind of doubt youll notice a big difference doing the fx send out or the load box out vs an amp simulator or modeling unit. Not everyone will agree with that I imagine, but its from what ive observed. The biggest difference for me is tube amp to cab to mic vs direct to impulse; once you take that cab and mic out of the equation, it seems like it loses that analog touch, whether you use tubes in the pre or not.
Quote by Watterboy
Just my 2 cents- based on my personal experiences (which arent extensive but Ive done a decent bit of comparisons) with using tube amps for recording, amp sims, or direct sends from amps, i kind of doubt youll notice a big difference doing the fx send out or the load box out vs an amp simulator or modeling unit. Not everyone will agree with that I imagine, but its from what ive observed. The biggest difference for me is tube amp to cab to mic vs direct to impulse; once you take that cab and mic out of the equation, it seems like it loses that analog touch, whether you use tubes in the pre or not.

That's sad

I really cant mic it, but I would like a tube amp, btw, i play mainly heavy stuff, Metallica like
Honestly if you're plugging direct and using impulses there really is no point in buying an amp like that. I had a Peavey Triple XXX that I would do something similar with. Sounded good for recording but really I was getting very similar tones with VSTs (LePou stuff and TH2. Both miles better than AT3/GR5 etc...) to the point were it was pointless for me to even set it up. Plus, the amp sounded miles better mic'd up.

You really aren't going to be getting a much better tone by using the DI on the 5150III compared to using a VST amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Honestly if you're plugging direct and using impulses there really is no point in buying an amp like that. I had a Peavey Triple XXX that I would do something similar with. Sounded good for recording but really I was getting very similar tones with VSTs (LePou stuff and TH2. Both miles better than AT3/GR5 etc...) to the point were it was pointless for me to even set it up. Plus, the amp sounded miles better mic'd up.

You really aren't going to be getting a much better tone by using the DI on the 5150III compared to using a VST amp.

And with a loadbox? Since I will be using the whole amp, I think it would be a little better, right?
Quote by urraurra
And with a loadbox? Since I will be using the whole amp, I think it would be a little better, right?

Dunno cause I don't have to use a loadbox but...

Quote by Watterboy
Just my 2 cents- based on my personal experiences (which arent extensive but Ive done a decent bit of comparisons) with using tube amps for recording, amp sims, or direct sends from amps, i kind of doubt youll notice a big difference doing the fx send out or the load box out vs an amp simulator or modeling unit. cab to mic vs direct to impulse; once you take that cab and mic out of the equation, it seems like it loses that analog touch, whether you use tubes in the pre or not.

Points to probably not.
Quote by urraurra
That's sad

I really cant mic it, but I would like a tube amp, btw, i play mainly heavy stuff, Metallica like

If you want a tube amp, and you really like the 5150 iii then I think you should buy it. All I was trying to express to you was that in my experiences, the fx send doesnt sound much different to my ears than using amp sims. I have played the 5150 iii at guitar center at a moderatly loud volume and it sounds awesome. Its a great amp. I just wouldnt want you to be disappointed if you cant ever turn it up to a reasonable level. If you are planning on moving soon or something and can play louder, the 5150 iii will be amazing for you.
Quote by Watterboy
If you want a tube amp, and you really like the 5150 iii then I think you should buy it. All I was trying to express to you was that in my experiences, the fx send doesnt sound much different to my ears than using amp sims. I have played the 5150 iii at guitar center at a moderatly loud volume and it sounds awesome. Its a great amp. I just wouldnt want you to be disappointed if you cant ever turn it up to a reasonable level. If you are planning on moving soon or something and can play louder, the 5150 iii will be amazing for you.

Yeah, I understand and I think I would probably be disappointed if the difference is huge as all of you said! Have you tested it at a "bedroom" volume?

Quote by JackovSlayer
Well, if you really want an EVH, you could use this for home recording - http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-live/. Loadbox with microphone and cab sims.

I would love one of these, but they are a little too expensive ;s
I havent played it at bedroom level. I got to turn it up a bit at GC so I took advantage of that. But I can say that all of the high gain tube amps ive owned sound good at bedroom levels (on the high gain channels). I think a lot of people agree with that too, since all the gain comes from the preamp and you can run the master vol really low. Clean always sounds like garbage to me at low volumes though, whether i am going for that natural tube overdrive sound or not. Clean just sounds significantly better as the volume goes up (sounds fatter, crisper, more chimey whatever).

By the way- one thing to bare in mind if you get the 5150iii 50watt version is that there is a volume jump on channel two, since it is shared with clean channel 1. The only way to fix it is to mod it, I think. It annoyed me when I played it at the store, even though channel 2 sounded great. I dont think the 100watt has that problem though
Quote by Watterboy
I havent played it at bedroom level. I got to turn it up a bit at GC so I took advantage of that. But I can say that all of the high gain tube amps ive owned sound good at bedroom levels (on the high gain channels). I think a lot of people agree with that too, since all the gain comes from the preamp and you can run the master vol really low. Clean always sounds like garbage to me at low volumes though, whether i am going for that natural tube overdrive sound or not. Clean just sounds significantly better as the volume goes up (sounds fatter, crisper, more chimey whatever).

By the way- one thing to bare in mind if you get the 5150iii 50watt version is that there is a volume jump on channel two, since it is shared with clean channel 1. The only way to fix it is to mod it, I think. It annoyed me when I played it at the store, even though channel 2 sounded great. I dont think the 100watt has that problem though

I heard about that volume jump! But I wont use it (ch1) too much anyway hehe
It sounds like you have your mind made up already. Buy it and post your results back. If you're getting a good deal and don't like it, just flip it. Plenty of demand for used 5150 IIII.
Quote by metalmingee
It sounds like you have your mind made up already. Buy it and post your results back. If you're getting a good deal and don't like it, just flip it. Plenty of demand for used 5150 IIII.

I have but Im a little chicken on that, I afraid that it wont be worth it (since I wont be able to mic) I was thinking about the ENGL e530 too...What you think?
Looking at the e530 it may work better than the 5150 III since the function you want is at least listed in the description. How well does it work? No idea.

The lead guitarist for Death Angel uses the E530 so it should deliver on tone. :-)

Are you buying online or can you try the setup first? If you buy online use a place that will take returns.

Also consider the Laney Ironheart Studio.
Quote by metalmingee
Looking at the e530 it may work better than the 5150 III since the function you want is at least listed in the description. How well does it work? No idea.

The lead guitarist for Death Angel uses the E530 so it should deliver on tone. :-)

Are you buying online or can you try the setup first? If you buy online use a place that will take returns.

Also consider the Laney Ironheart Studio.

Yeah, I might buy the e530 instead, seems better for me... Dont know this laney, I will take a look right now! Actually I live in brazil, I will buy it in USA, on a trip! I wont be able to test, I think I will have to buy it in advance, to guarantee my unit!

EDIT: omg, that Laney is a beast
Better than the ENGL I think, isnt it?
Last edited by urraurra at Nov 14, 2014,
if you are in apartments, could you get a single stall garage? if so put it in there and turn up the volume. i had a drummer who did that and we practiced there will the garage door open.

YMMV
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you are in apartments, could you get a single stall garage? if so put it in there and turn up the volume. i had a drummer who did that and we practiced there will the garage door open.

YMMV

Hello!

That's a good idea, but unfortunately I can't :/
Quote by urraurra
Hello!

That's a good idea, but unfortunately I can't :/

You actually could mic the 5150 III because it sounds great at very low volume. I had one for a year, so I know. I never tried it through my load box (THD Hot Plate) because I never had a need to. The THD will let you crank it up & then use the line out to a board or separate power amp if you want. I use it for my other VH rig. The 5150 III is a seriously badass amp. The only reason I sold mine was that it was so big & heavy, & I have 3 other amps that do the same tones. I'll eventually buy a 50W one though, because it's just a really fun tone to play with.
I personally like the EVH tone way better than any Engl product I've ever heard. Engls sound good, but a little too dry & sterile IMO.
Quote by riffhog
You actually could mic the 5150 III because it sounds great at very low volume. I had one for a year, so I know. I never tried it through my load box (THD Hot Plate) because I never had a need to. The THD will let you crank it up & then use the line out to a board or separate power amp if you want. I use it for my other VH rig. The 5150 III is a seriously badass amp. The only reason I sold mine was that it was so big & heavy, & I have 3 other amps that do the same tones. I'll eventually buy a 50W one though, because it's just a really fun tone to play with.
I personally like the EVH tone way better than any Engl product I've ever heard. Engls sound good, but a little too dry & sterile IMO.

Good to know that I have that option, but, since I will bring it with me, I think it will be a little bit bigger than I can bring with me, a little bit heavier too! I am seriously thinking about the IRT-Studio, I saw some demos and really liked it, especially that it's DI or usb DI passes the signal through the power amp section, unlike all the other ones i've seen!