Hi there!

It's been a while since I read this forum and followed the guitar/gear world.
I have a H&K Edition Blue 60 DFX amp, but right now I'm only playing at home, so I'm looking for a small 1-5 W tube amp.
I don't want to spend any more than 500€ for a combo or a head+cab.

I'm looking for an amp that gives me a nice clean/breakup tone, I don't need tons of gain. Maybe I'll buy an OCD type pedal (I'm looking at the Mooer Hustle Drive) for the distorted tones.

I'm playing John Mayer/Joe Bonamassa type blues on a Fender Strat, so I'm looking for similar type of tones.

What I've been looking at (thomann.de):

Heads (with some kind of 12" speaker cab):
- H&K Tubemeister 5
- Palmer Eins
- Bugera G5
- Laney Cub Head
- VOX Lil' Night Train

Combos (I'd really like one with a 12" speaker):
- VHT Special 6 Combo Ultra
- Laney Cub 12R
- VOX AC4C1-12 Classic
- Blackstar HT-5C Combo
- Palmer FAB5 Combo (though only 10")
- Fender Blues Junior III (though 15 W & over budget)
- VOX AC15C1 (same)
- VOX Nighttrain NT15C1 G2 Combo (same)

Which one would you recommend for me? Maybe next week I'll go to Vienna, so I'll be able to try some of them out, but as of now, I have to decide based upon youtube vids and reviews.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

Bye
Out of interest, what's wrong with your current amp?

From your list, I'd say either night train, AC4 or the VHT. Maybe look at a Marshall class 5? May be out of your price range though.
Well Mayer is Fender/Two Rock amps and Bonamassa is a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100.

I'd say take a look at the Jet City JCA20h (the 22h if you need higher gain) and the Harley bento G112vintage cab.

If not the Jet City, the Laney Cub is soposedly very JCM800ish and should work decent. With your budget and wants, you will have to compromise one way or the other

VHT if you want more Mayer tones
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 13, 2014,
Blackheart BH15 + whatever nice 2x12 cab with Jensen P12Q or greenback's or similar speakers.
Quote by ambler3
Out of interest, what's wrong with your current amp?

From your list, I'd say either night train, AC4 or the VHT. Maybe look at a Marshall class 5? May be out of your price range though.

Well, the H&K is alright, but the low gain distorted tones (in which tube amps excell) are not the best. It sounds a bit muddy and unfocused (for use of a better word). I don't really FEEL the notes I'm playing. I want a tube amp. That's it.

About the Jet City amps: the smallest one is 20W, so I'm affraid it'd be overkill for home use. I'm not gigging at the moment, so I don't really need that much volume. Of course, if on low volume it can sound good too, then I'm going to check them out.
You can use a 100 watt 1/2 stack at low volumes, amps have a master volume for a reason.
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can use a 100 watt 1/2 stack at low volumes, amps have a master volume for a reason.

Agreed.

I use my 50 watt tube amp at low volume (it's my bedroom amp) without a problem.
Crank the Gain and Volume, turn the Master Volume down. Done.
It even has a 25 watt mode, but even at really low volumes I prefer the way it sounds in 50 watt mode.
how loudly can you play at home? even 5 watts is loud in most home environments.
^Yup!

I've owned a Vox AC4TV, along with some other 30+ watt tube guitar amps, and the Vox was no quieter for home practice then the rest; even on the 1/4 watt setting. You're just able to get a natural tube breakup at a lower volume on a lower watt tube amp. I practice at home with my JCA50H into a mesa 212, or my 60 watt Peavey Ultra 112 just fine. You just have to EQ the amps a little differently for playing at such a low volume.
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 13, 2014,
Quote by red.guitar
You're just able to get a natural tube breakup at a lower volume on a lower watt tube amp.

exactly- which is still often too loud, unfortunately.
Would you consider buying used? Since you mentioned going to Vienna next week I suppose you are from Austria, there are good deals on used gear on willhaben.at every now and then.
How about the Laney VC15 if you can find one, or the LC15.
For your type of stuff a Marshall Class5 combo would be perfect.
Also look at Orange Tiny Terror but that'll probably a bit over budget.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I'm from Hungary, that's why I want to go to Vienna, because here you can't really try any decent amps (at least where I live).
I've been looking at used gears too, but the selection is pretty bad. Only SS combos or 100W tube heads.

About volume: I live alone, have a pretty decent 5.1 home cinema, which doesn't bother the neighbours, so I don't have to play at whispering levels. But I also don't want to to go deaf, that's why I'm looking for a smaller wattage amp. I know amps have a master volume, but what's the point in buying a 15-50-100W amp if I'm only gonna play it on 1 out of 10.

I'd really like a Marshall Class 5, but I just can't find any used and also they don't sell any new ones as far as I'm concerned.
the thing is you're also playing a 5 watt amp on 1 out of 10 as well

and at 1 out of 10 the 100 watter often sounds better than the 5 watter
According to Thomann Austria: Laney VC15, Fender Blues Jr, Marshall DSL5C
Slightly above your budget: Vox AC15

You can also try a Vox Valvetronix combo, not tube but sounds pretty good for bedroom practice.
just to add a brief comment for wattage, 1watt into a celestion V30 puts out 100db that is loud.

but 1 watt half the volume of a 10w and the 10w is half as loud that a 100w. keep that in mind.

BUT, in my room right now i have 5 watts that are 100w tube heads, an 18w and a dual terror (30). and in the middle a JTM45 and the plexi version of the MIG 50 that has been heavily modded.

but most i can play at night at any time. a quality amp generally will give you a decent tone from quiet- to loud. i play my MKIV at night boosted on the OD3 channel, or through the trem-o-verb.