Trying to do a comparison of the Seymour Duncan hot rail to Dimarzio and their strat-sized rail pickups.

On Dimarzios website they quite helpfully show an output rating number; I'm not sure what it equates to but SDs site just labels the hot rail as "hot humbucker"

Do any of you know roughly the output of the hot rail to compare to other brands?
To get an approximate idea of a passive pickups "hotness", you can look into the DC resistance value. A Dimarzio super distortion rail for example has a resistance of 13.18k, while the duncan hot rail has a resistance of 16.9k, both values are for bridge position. This is in no way a foolproof method, but we could assume that the SD has more output since it has a higher resistance.
Quote by guitar/bass95
To get an approximate idea of a passive pickups "hotness", you can look into the DC resistance value. A Dimarzio super distortion rail for example has a resistance of 13.18k, while the duncan hot rail has a resistance of 16.9k, both values are for bridge position. This is in no way a foolproof method, but we could assume that the SD has more output since it has a higher resistance.

Ah I see.

Cheers!
^ the big problem is that if the wire gauge is different, you can't compare the DC resistances. it can actually lead you astray.

i'm not sure, i haven't really tried dimarzio's rail pickups. the hot rails is pretty darn hot, though, so i'm guessing one of the hotter dimarzio ones is what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the big problem is that if the wire gauge is different, you can't compare the DC resistances. it can actually lead you astray.

i'm not sure, i haven't really tried dimarzio's rail pickups. the hot rails is pretty darn hot, though, so i'm guessing one of the hotter dimarzio ones is what you want.

That's why I said it was foolproof Maybe I should have elaborated more.
LOL no worries Yeah if you have nothing better to go on (and remember about the wire gauge thing) it's better than nothing.