I'm in the following situation: in our rehearsal space there is a stereo that has a cable for mp3/PC. The stereo is connected to two large speakers, which are big semi-pro (I guess, don't know the brand or price exactly) which has both connectors for white/red copper cables (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/664223973_1/30-pcs-64-5mmx17-6mm-4pin-Red-and-Black-Spring-Push-font-b-Type-b-font.jpg) like the stereo has and spreaker connectors. (http://images1.cableorganizer.com/nuetrik/speaker-connectors/images/09-NL4MPST_dsize-flange_screw.jpg)

We also have a Shure SM58 (XLR) and a laptop (USB and one input/output/headphones jack).

I'd like to use the mic for vocals during rehearsal, but maybe for recording on the laptop as well. Currently we can't hook up the mic to anything at all, so I'm looking for either a small mixing board on which there is an XLR input and speaker connectors (the 'pro' type) or a USB interface which feeds to the stereo through the headphone jack. I'm afraid there might be delay if the signal goes through the USB/pc setup.

Which would be the best? What prices could I expect for either? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Wow. Okay. The easiest thing for you to do, without delving into trying to explain a bunch of confusing stuff would be to get a cheap peavey-adjacent mixer like: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-pv6-mixer

If you're going with a USB interface it gets a little bit more confusing as to what you want. Not everyone is like me (A DIY Fiend) so I would advise just buying a cheap mixer or even a preamp and a cable to connect the preamp into the system you are using.
For playing and reharsing, a mixer'll be good.
I recommend mackie VLZ.

For recording with decent quality you'll want an audio interface, but the audio interface is gonna come less handy than the mixer and it's gonna offer less possibilities, so I'd definitely go for the mixer first.
Quote by Von II
'm afraid there might be delay if the signal goes through the USB/pc setup.

most usb interfaces have some type of 'latency free' routing that allows you to run a signal before it hits the computer.

Quote by Von II
Which would be the best? What prices could I expect for either? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

best? i wouldn't worry about getting the best if you are asking for prices. i think you should give a budget first.

but you can get what you need for as little as 50 bucks or so. if you want something that isn't garbage then expect to spend around 100 bucks. if you want something robust (more than 2 inputs, extensive routing, can grow to your needs) expect to spend around 300+.

as mentioned you can get by with a interface, a mixer or a usb mixer (or even a usb mic, which hasn't been mentioned).
I googled a bit, and I came across a rather important question. Don't I need a powered mixer? The speakers do not have any power supply at all, and only have the red/black copper cables inputs and the 'pro' jacks. Or like snappedstrings6 said, hook the output of the mixer up to the stereo system? (1/4" to 3.5mm plugs I already have). The latter seems like the cheaper option, but we would still have to rely on another piece of equipment, and it's less portable than just the mixer and two speakers.

It seems clear that a mixer would be way better than a usb interface, also leaving the possibility to, in the future, mic the snare and give it some 80's gated reverb (either with built in effects or an additional device).
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
^Yes, you need to power the speakers somehow. Be advised, most stereos aren't very flat in response and really aren't meant to be used as a PA.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
There are some relatively inexpensive mixers out there if your needs are small. For $110-120 you can choose from mixers like the Harbinger L1202FX 12-channel or the Alto ZMX122FX 8-channel, both with FX built in.

Power amps from Carvin are inexpensive and reliable. An HD1500 weighs 9 lbs, runs $299 and will put out 210W RMS per channel into 8 ohm speakers or 1400W, bridged, mono, into 4 ohms.

If you've got more money to spend, however, you can pick up a pair of Carvin PM12A powered speakers (400W RMS each) and plug those directly into the mixer. $279 each.

Depending on which of the Speakon connectors you have on the current set of "semi-pro" speakers, you may be able to use 1/4" cables into the speakers (some Speakon connectors accept both). I'd advise using the Speakons instead -- it insures that you don't accidentally use a guitar cable (I've seen them fried) to try to run the speaker.
The speakers are both JB Systems TSX 12. So budget, but good enough.

I can't seem to find a powered mixer that has speakon connectors. They all have 1/4" connectors for output. The Peavey VBi 4b or even the Fame PM 400 seem OK, with the dirt cheap Fame even featuring some effects I'd like. I'd be willing to go up to 200€, but I can't buy something that "might" work with 1/4" audio cables (like guitar head/cab cables right?) in the speakon jacks. I need to be sure.

In conclusion: Shure sm58 --> some powered mixer --> JB Systems TSX 12?

I don't even care for recording any more, I'd just like to get the vocals working.

EDIT: I can just get a mixer with 1/4" outputs, and get some 1/4" to Speakon adapters for the speakers?
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
Last edited by Von II at Dec 4, 2014,
Quote by Von II
I can just get a mixer with 1/4" outputs, and get some 1/4" to Speakon adapters for the speakers?
Yes, though get cables with wires thick enough.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If it's just for rehearsal and not gigs just go second hand. Im in uk so it's not dollars, but I got 12 channel 500w powered Samson mixer on ebay for £50 and a pair of passive intimidation 2x15's with horns for £40 from a second hand shop. Less than a ton and I have a PA for vocals that's waaaaay louder than the drummer. YAY