hey guys im looking to buy a new pedal for my guitar, basically I have the Roland GX microCube amp, this amp doesn't have drive or overdrive knob to adjust it, so im looking for an overdrive pedal,

so basically I need a budget pedal, something around 50 bucks or less, I can buy used one from ebay if it does worth it.

currently i found out about these pedals:
-Digitech bad monkey overdrive pedal
-Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Nano.

or any other suggestions?
OD pedals into a Micro-Cube will be a big disappointment and sound pretty awful. I have a Micro-cube and for a tiny $100 practice amp it's great. If you want more serious tone, it's time to go amp shopping. A small tube amp or maybe a Digital Multi-Effects pedal is in your future.

I really get pretty good crunch tone with the Micro set to "Classic Stack" and turn up the gain to taste. Shades of Jimi in a tiny package. Whats not to love about that little dude?
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 13, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
OD pedals into a Micro-Cube will be a big disappointment and sound pretty awful. I have a Micro-cube and for a tiny $100 practice amp it's great. If you want more serious tone, it's time to go amp shopping. A small tube amp or maybe a Digital Multi-Effects pedal is in your future.

Quote by DroptuneD
Second the new amp suggestion.

Currently I don't have any money for a new good amp, however, it will be so bad connecting it to the microCube?
Quote by gabisimonov
Currently I don't have any money for a new good amp, however, it will be so bad connecting it to the microCube?

Yes. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Find the tone you seek in the Micro-Cube which has a pretty great tonal palate for such a simple amp, or start washing cars and mowing lawns to work towards another amp. $50 for a pedal will be money down the rat hole with no tone gained.... but don't take my word for it. I'm just some dude on the internet. Sometimes the sting of disappointment is a more effective learning tool than gathering advice from experienced players.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 13, 2014,
Maybe take your micro cube to a shop, try plugging a bad monkey into it, then play the bad monkey through a decent valve amp. If you don't notice any improvement in the sound then just grab a ds-1 and be done with it
Quote by gabisimonov

Because it's like installing heated seats into a 1989 Station Wagon that's on it's way out...

Yes, you're getting heated seats, but you're still driving a 1989 Station Wagon.

Wouldn't it be a better investment to save up for a little while longer (and suffer not having your heated seats) and go buy a used 2005 BMW X5 that already has heated seats and will probably last you a lot longer in the long run?

Go find a nice amp with a crunch channel that you like, find out how much it goes for used, and save up You'll thank me later.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Nov 13, 2014,
Ok I got it, i'll just wait a few months until I will get a decent amp. Thanks for help.
Find a u8sed Peavey Vypyr 30, they are a decent sounding cheap amp. Used they run $100 or less
Find one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/roland-cube-20x-guitar-combo-amplifier somewhere, its a step up from what you have. Not only is it a better amp in general, but the distortion, particularly the tube drive modeling, sounds solid for what the amp is. You'll get your OD with it. It has really great output as well. I think the distortion can also be used with a footswitch.

Best cube amp I've ever seen, good as a small gig combo. Just a bit over the price range of an OD like the TS-9.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Cube-20X-20-watt-Guitar-Amp-amplifier-/121484543377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c490b0591
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 13, 2014,
I'm not sure if an overdrive will help you or not with the cube but they're useful for most rigs looking towards the future. To answer your question the Bad Monkey is a good value option. I picked mine up used for $25 or so.

The Joyo Vintage Overdrive is also a good value option and has the classic tone only pot vs the low and high of the Monkey. The Joyo is about $30 new.
for a cheaper solid state amp, i would rather have some from of distortion pedal. i use overdrives to push a tube preamp. solid state preamps are not going to react the same way. personally i would rather get the effect by having the pedal clip into a crunch tone or distortion tone.

i would be after some versatile pedal with a good rep, like a RAT. those are more than about 50 bucks though. perhaps a rat style knock off clone?
Ok. Enough with telling him to get a new amp. Your amp is ss and will not become overdriven by a pedal. Try a boss sd-1 over drive or an ibanez tube screamer. Both are affordable and known workhorses. See if they work with your amp. If you dislike the results, try a boss ds-1 distortion or a digitech hardwire valve distortion. Remember to bring your amp and guitar!