Hi all,

Just looking to get some feedback on a problem with my guitar, I have a '56 re-issue Epiphone Gold Top, had it for 6 years now. It's been having this issue for about a year now but recently it's gotten worse.

When I am on Treble everything sounds great but when I switch to Rhythm the sound is basically non-existent, there is sound but I have to turn my amp up all the way even to hear it slightly.

I know that switching to Rhythm selects the neck pickup so I'm hoping that it's just the pickup that needs to be replaced and that it doesn't need to be re-wired

Has anyone else ever had this problem?
Last edited by ted.finnigan at Nov 13, 2014,
Why would you hope that the pickup needs to be replaced? Rewiring is trivial and basically free, buying a new pickup costs money and you have to rewire anyway.

Anyway, this sounds like one of the connections for the neck pickup has come loose. The switch connection, the volume and tone pot connection, and the pickup's ground to the volume pot are all likely suspects. The other thing to check right away would be the switch itself, sometimes you need to bend the leaf a bit to ensure good contact.
It's probably the switch having corroded/dirty contacts.

Pickups very rarely go bad in guitars.
I'm thinking a dirty switch here. I had the same issue in an old Epi SG. Some Deoxit cleaned it up.
Epis are notorious for junk switches that go bad quickly. I’d start by replacing the switch.
Quote by jpnyc
Epis are notorious for junk switches that go bad quickly. I’d start by replacing the switch.

Yea, mine lasted about the same length of time.
My Epiphone has had the same problem previously. As said before, the best way is probably to replace the switch