hello all. iam only at this a short while may be 30 days.
I can do kinda do chord changes from E to AM,,EM TO AM..EM TO G
with out stoping strumming.But when i go from a to d or other chords to d
i stop strummimg for a split sec. how do i fix this i dont want wanna quit
iam geting so what better then i was i dont wanna throw it all away
Just keep practising, you've barely been playing for a second in the grand scheme of things so you're hardly even used to the instrument; it'll come to you in time.
Don't quit playing just because you are having a bit of trouble. As Zaph said, 30 days is nothing. I've been playing for 15+ years and I'm still terrible.
As said already, 30 days isn't very much time. Keep at it!

One suggestion is to slow down your strumming enough so the gap between chords ends up in time with what you are playing.

Perhaps try strumming both chords a total of 4 times. Keep the strumming slow enough so you have plenty of time to switch between chords.

One thing I have beginning students do is hit a chord, count to 4, and hit the next chord. Instead of holding the chord for the entire count of four, I have them hit first chord and as quickly as they can get set up for the next chord. They get to the next chord before the 4 count is over, but they get the feeling of having the next chord ready to go at the appropriate time.

After they get used to that, we gradually speed up how fast the count is, or even make the count faster such as a count of 3 or 2.
I know your pain. I'm not that far over it to be honest. What helped me was to learn songs I like with several different chord progressions. Then just put those songs on loop and play along with them. By doing so I got comfortable switching between various different chords, learned different strumming patters/tempo's, and learned to play along in time. As I progressed I mixed in new songs that had chord variations from the standard Maj/min triads.

Also, as been said, 30 days is not even a drop in the bucket. Guitar is a journey that takes years.
Yeah iam working though its geting better how do u guys do your a chord the 3 fingers or Justin's way lol.iam working on both ways but I find the 3 fingers lined up a little better.
Quote by Tazz3
Yeah iam working though its geting better how do u guys do your a chord the 3 fingers or Justin's way lol.iam working on both ways but I find the 3 fingers lined up a little better.
I've never done the A major chord open with 3 fingers. I find it awkward and cramped. I use 2 fingers. Dunno if that's, "Justin's way" or not.

The index covers D @ 2nd & G @ 2nd, the middle covers B 2nd.

The only time I use 3 fingers is for Amaj7. Tab = X 0 2 1 2 0. (This is the same shape as D7, all the fingers just move down 1 string).

You can also barre the 3 strings which make the A chord with your index finger. This leaves 3 fingers free to play licks through the chord. That might take a while longer to get the hang of though....
you can also try to bar the appropriate strings in an A chord an then move the bar one string down and press the b string on the third fret with another finger.

Though I really recommend doing it justin's way, because it makes switching to E faster too
I was like that at first too. Then I tried to learn the acoustic chords for Canon Rock (or at least that's what came up) which is D-A-Bm-F#m-G-D-G-A. )) I'm not sure if I got it right though :|
Play the A chord with your fingers in the same shape you would for the D chord. Then you just have to move up a string and half a fret and your fingers don't have to move relative to each other.
Actually in perspective of learnig thing as I am a quick learner, 30 days a long time, and A to D is so easy. You must be a pretty slow learner, or don't play enough, or not practicing properly, I don't which. Best advice I can do is to the changes slowly, say from A to D, do the change as slowly as possibke as long as it is fluent. And it seems that you are stressing. You have many years ahead of you, I never thougt I could play songs that are difficult like sweet child of mine, and yes I doubted myself back then, but you will get better through the years. Maybe the D...... is not just for you, some players had struggles in their past, but trust me you will break through them, just don't expect it to happen in a month. I have been playin guitar for 4 years exactly this December, and man I always had a struggle with alternate picking, but in the last few months I got through it and now I am another wanker noodler.
He wasn't asking how quick you learn things and it's completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. You're in no position to accuse him of being "a slow learner" and saying something like that is unhelpful and also quite rude.

The rest of your advice is sound other than the ludicrous suggestion that the D chord is "not just for you", I appreciate there's maybe something lost in translation but at the end of the day it's a basic chord but like anything else just takes a bit of time.

In future if you wish to offer help to someone please do so withot bragging about your own abilitites and simultaneously talking down the thread starter in your first two sentences.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ya man just like everyone else is saying,just keep at it. Its all about muscle memory and getting your picking hand and fretting hand in sync. You'll get it bro
thanks its geting better i work on it for like 20 mins, i have to go slow lol
Well I am sorry for offendig you values, I see you are person who does not take critism vey well, you are probably a feeler. I was simply stating that he was not practicing enough or he is not practicing properly, which is a good advice, that is probably why he is a "slow" learner. And I was giving a perspective that everything takes time and everyone has struggles, me for instance, it took me 4 years to learn alt. I was in no way purposel discouraging him.
If you are struggling with the fretting (usually left) hand I find the best way to improve a chord change is just to change between those two chords repeatedly as fast as you can CLEANLY play them. Just one strum each time. That's what worked best for me anyway.

By doing full chord progressions and strumming chords multiple times there is a lot of "wasted" practice time where you aren't actually changing between the chords. Once you get the chord change down then obviously you can work in some strumming patterns and songs that use them.

It just takes time and practice. When I was starting out I kept track of how fast I could change between chords with a metronome, and focused more on the chord changes that I was having trouble with. Some of them I started out literally only being able to play them at about 15-20 BPM, but eventually they became second nature.
Quote by inchindar
Well I am sorry for offendig you values, I see you are person who does not take critism vey well, you are probably a feeler. I was simply stating that he was not practicing enough or he is not practicing properly, which is a good advice, that is probably why he is a "slow" learner. And I was giving a perspective that everything takes time and everyone has struggles, me for instance, it took me 4 years to learn alt. I was in no way purposel discouraging him.

You don't see how this:

Quote by inchindar
You must be a pretty slow learner, or don't play enough, or not practicing properly, I don't which.

Is going to be discouraging?

You literally came in and the first thing you said was that TS isn't working hard enough. You have no information about TSs life situation or how much time they put in to anything. You simply talked about yourself and how easy it was for you... which means nothing at all.

I would also point out that your reply was to a mod... so you might want to think a little more about what you're saying.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You sure are very good at noticing discrepancies. Yes I see my statements are incongruent with each other. I intended no insult and offered some advice, he is a slow learner then, my logic claims, he probably is not practicing wrong or not enough. So what is exactly the purpose of your responses? To put me down? You were personally offended? You are smart and like to argue?

I don't take things personally, but I do like arguments and debates.
Quote by inchindar
You sure are very good at noticing discrepancies. Yes I see my statements are incongruent with each other. I intended no insult and offered some advice, he is a slow learner then, my logic claims, he probably is not practicing wrong or not enough. So what is exactly the purpose of your responses? To put me down? You were personally offended? You are smart and like to argue?

I hope you like warnings as well. I kinda smell one coming for you.
Quote by inchindar

This is supposed to be a place where people can learn freely and without fear of insult. You are violating the very purpose of the forum. Whether you intended an insult or not you've said something that could very easily be insulting and off-putting to someone just starting out on their journey with the guitar.

I would seriously suggest you take more time to think about what you're saying in future.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by inchindar

I'm not a "feeler", I'm a moderator and therefore responsible for ensuring everyone's behaving themselves in the forums. If it looks like they aren't then they'll get a polite message, if they're clearly being disruptive on purpose they'll just get a warning or ban.

I did say that the "slow learner" comment may have been something slightly lost in translation and that the rest of your advice was sound, however the fact is it did come across as a little insulting and belittling to the thread starter. I'm not convinced that what you meant which is why you've not had a warning, however there really was no need to start your post by bragging about your own abilities. If someone is asking for advice then how good you think you are or how easy you may think something is simply isn't relevant and doesn't help the poor guy asking the question. In future just try to keep things a bit more focussed, if you want to show off you can do that all you like by posting in the recordings forum.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well I am so sorry sir for violating the I tended purpose of this forums, I assure you I intended no offence or insult to the person who started this thread. But I do concede that yes, my earlier statement may have come across as discouraging, however I was merely trying to provide an example with no intended ego. I will in the future take more careful notice in my comments.
Last edited by inchindar at Nov 22, 2014,
Quote by inchindar
I don't take things personally, but I do like arguments and debates
Good, then listen up. Neither the TS nor anyone else is here to have a debate or argue. If you are, then GTFO. Cool, apology accepted.

Also, you're wrong.
Best advice I can do is to the changes slowly, say from A to D, do the change as slowly as possibke as long as it is fluent ... Maybe the D...... is not just for you
Mr Thread Starter, there are times to practice slowly but that can quickly breed frustration cos the song has to come to a stop and that sounds worse than bumming a chord. Not a bad idea to play the whole song a notch slower than normal while you're getting comfortable with the changes but don't slow down just for that one spot. Keep strumming at tempo and let the strings ring open if necessary while you get into position on the chord. It will effectively give you a G chord, which won't sound out of place in most arrangements between an A and a D. Pushing slightly beyond your limits is the quickest way to improve in anything.

Write your own little practice arrangement using just those two chords over a funky rhythm you really like and just loop it til your muscle memory takes over. Don't worry about getting it wrong, just don't slow down or stop. If you can only get two fingers on the chord in time, that's fine. Your progress sounds great so far so you'll have it nailed soon enough.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Last edited by Danustar at Nov 23, 2014,
Quote by bptrav
If you are struggling with the fretting (usually left) hand I find the best way to improve a chord change is just to change between those two chords repeatedly as fast as you can CLEANLY play them. Just one strum each time. That's what worked best for me anyway.

This is what helped me get through chord changes. Chord changes can and will be a bitch, but if you keep practicing with them, you will get it.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
I have a fast question about the metronme.I found a free on line one and i set it to 40 bpm.because my chord changes are rough now i wanna know if iam useing it right lol.when it clicks thats when i hit the chord right??
and when it dont click i do a chrod change right??
well so far its been really good. so when i get better i will rise the bpm
so iam i useing it right?? SO FAR ITS HELPING ME. I SHOULD HAVE USED IT SOONER
yup you change between clicks indeed, however I hardly ever use a metronome, once you have developed good timing thing however, you can just tap your foot, it's kinda handy really. However a metronome will still be best when training for higher speeds in the future.

I still personal think that you should practice the chord change as slow as you can fluently to get that motion into muscle memory then as you get more used to it you will be able to do it faster. What I did 4 years ago was when I can't do a chord change quick enough for a song, I would stop playing the song and just practice that chord change over and over again. May not work for you but just giving you ideas, everyone learns best differently.
Quote by inchindar
yup you change between clicks indeed, however I hardly ever use a metronome, once you have developed good timing thing however, you can just tap your foot, it's kinda handy really. However a metronome will still be best when training for higher speeds in the future.

I still personal think that you should practice the chord change as slow as you can fluently to get that motion into muscle memory then as you get more used to it you will be able to do it faster. What I did 4 years ago was when I can't do a chord change quick enough for a song, I would stop playing the song and just practice that chord change over and over again. May not work for you but just giving you ideas, everyone learns best differently.

When u started did u do a slight pause between chord changes I think I do that .
But the metronme is helping me so far ,,,
Yes yes, then I would basically stop playing the song and focus on the chord change. You have a "pause" because you are still building muscle memory and the pause is probably the speed at which you can do the chord change properly. You can either stop playing like I did and repeat the change over and over again to build the memory up. The other guy said just loop those 2 chords over and over again with out stopping or slowing down. Yes loop the chords and play it over and over again, but obviously if you don't have the muscle memory you are going to stop or slow down and end up loosing timing anyway. So dont worry about stopping or slowing down until you have some memory built at which point start usig a metronome to gain more "speed", in fact slowing down is the best way to build muscle memory. Muscle memory remember is not gained by adding more force or speed, its been proven, but only by movements, and it is easier do such movements at slow speeds, and once muscle memory is gained, it will be easier to play it fast later on, and this rule applies to any muscle motion that we do repetitively. That's why in shred guitar they say, "you can't play fast what you can't play slow" This rule also applies to chord changes no matter how rediculous it sounds. So dont worry about slowing down or stopping, but just keep doing it over and over again and you will see progress, and I see you have started using a metronome so you must have some muscle memory now, but in future chord changes dont worry about stopping or slowig down. But don't give up, the guitar is a great hobby that will give you everlasting pleasure.
Last edited by inchindar at Nov 24, 2014,