Is there a good pedal that can get a nice lead tone for metal when placed in front of an amp? I was looking into the boost d.l.a, but i've head that delay wont sound good in front of the amp.

Are there any other options? I might just get a tubescreamer, but i would like it if there was a pinch of another effect

Looking for a single pedal. Preferably under 200 $
Depends.

What's the rest of your setup?
Pedals, amp, cab, guitar...

Also what kinda metal lead tone exactly?
State songs for clarity please.
Peavey 6505+ head into krank 4x12. I play melodic death metal similar to children of bodom and the black dahlia murder. I know my amp has an effects loop, and that it would be easier to get a metal lead tone by utilizing it. I'm just trying to minimize the number of cables that I'm using and have the simplest set up possible.

Something similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eam8Um6_WYI at 1:45 or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBaYbOnp7hU at 2:55 would be awesome.
If you don't already have an OD pedal I'd say that's a priority. By using an OD such as a Tubescreamer or Boss SD-1 clone as a boost, you'll get more cut, bite, and more "scream" on your pinch harmonics -- which is definitely ideal for leads.

If you want some icing on the cake, a delay set for very few repeats and a pretty short delay time can make your leads stand out and sound more majestic. I run a TC Elect. Flashback delay on the "mod" setting because it adds a very slight chorus effect to the delay trails, which makes the leads sound a little more vocal-like and "sing" a little more. (It's hard to describe in words).
Get a TS-9 and use it as a clean boost, an EQ in the loop is also a good thing to have.
I highly suggest you get a standalone OD like these depending on what you want to spend

used TS9 for $69
www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Used-Ibanez-TS9-Tube-Screamer-Distortion-Effect-Pedal-110648808-i4035617.gc

Digitech bad Monkey $24
www.guitarcenter.com/Digitech-Used-Digitech-DBM-Bad-Monkey-Tube-Overdrive-Effect-Pedal-110551233-i3944499.gc

GFS Greenie Classic $50
www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-DESIGN-Greenie-Classic-Distortion-4558-Tube-Screamer-_p_1075.html

I have a Bad Monkey and a GFS Greenie Classic and I prefer the GFS. It is like having a TS9, TS808 and a modified TS9 in one pedal.

But getting one of these pedals will leave you plenty to get a good delay pedal. The OD modeli8ng in almost every MFX is not that great, a stand alone pedal will get much better results
Quote by KailM
If you don't already have an OD pedal I'd say that's a priority. By using an OD such as a Tubescreamer or Boss SD-1 clone as a boost, you'll get more cut, bite, and more "scream" on your pinch harmonics -- which is definitely ideal for leads.

If you want some icing on the cake, a delay set for very few repeats and a pretty short delay time can make your leads stand out and sound more majestic. I run a TC Elect. Flashback delay on the "mod" setting because it adds a very slight chorus effect to the delay trails, which makes the leads sound a little more vocal-like and "sing" a little more. (It's hard to describe in words).

+1 (i haven't tried that specific delay pedal)

for that more trebly sound in the vids i'd say an sd1 might even be preferable to a tubescreamer. but they'll both do more or less the same thing.
Wait. You're playing melodic death leads and do not own a delay???? Get one ASAP!

The delays on the zoom pedal are allright, and since you're not too sure what to get you could experiment with it.
Last edited by MadZorm at Nov 13, 2014,
the EHX tone tattoo was the first thing that came in mind. it has a decent distortion with built in noise supressor and an analog chorus + an analog delay i would reccomend this to someone who does not have a nice high gain amp. it would be just within your budget and give you flexibility.

but if you have a nice up such as a peavey you should consider an analog delay. you should be able to place the delay before the amp and not having issues as the analog delay tends to repeat less high frequencies and gets darker with more repeats making them better for your application.

i prefer using the effects loop and digital delays but an mxr carbon copy seems to be a great pedal and within you budget. if you want something that costs less to have still enough to get an OD, the memory toy may be what you are looking for. I love the TS9 but thats just my personal opinion. there are other delays and ODs but those are the first that come to mind and are decently priced.