I've been working with music for most of my life, I first picked up a guitar at the age of 6 or 7, and have been playing ever since. I just now figured out how to record and create music with FL Studio, and I've really had a recent liking for Pink Floyd (bought all their studio and live albums) and their music style. I've written a lot of music recently as a shadow of their work. I'm really trying to match their style, but only enough to still have my own. And by their style, I'm referring to their early stuff, specifically Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, and Dark Side. What I'm having trouble with is getting the ambient style they emit, and getting some nice sounds in FL. If there's a better program to use (still being pretty young, Sophomore in High School) that can bring that out, or if I should continue with FL and how I can improve that, that would be great. And my trouble with the composition is how to get the ambient style of their early works. Thanks so much
Quote by aerocom
I've been working with music for most of my life, I first picked up a guitar at the age of 6 or 7, and have been playing ever since. I just now figured out how to record and create music with FL Studio, and I've really had a recent liking for Pink Floyd (bought all their studio and live albums) and their music style. I've written a lot of music recently as a shadow of their work. I'm really trying to match their style, but only enough to still have my own. And by their style, I'm referring to their early stuff, specifically Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, and Dark Side. What I'm having trouble with is getting the ambient style they emit, and getting some nice sounds in FL. If there's a better program to use (still being pretty young, Sophomore in High School) that can bring that out, or if I should continue with FL and how I can improve that, that would be great. And my trouble with the composition is how to get the ambient style of their early works. Thanks so much

Looks like you need the book called "step by step instructions for sounding exactly like Pink Floyd"
Quote by GuitarMunky
Looks like you need the book called "step by step instructions for sounding exactly like Pink Floyd"

Where can I get a copy?!
Quote by GuitarMunky

Heh, I wouldn't say getting everything out of them is exactly what I'm aiming at. I would like to have the ambient vibe for things like Astronomy Domine and Echoes, but not their complete style. Maybe I should rephrase - I would like to have a more psychedelic feel to the music I'm working with, and how I accomplish that is my current challenge.
Look up the Moog synthesizer. There are many soft synths that emulate the sound of the Moog. There's Arturia, MiniMonsta, Animoog for iPad. YouTube is great for tutorials on how to approach the classic Moog sound.

Learn how to use the 3xOscillator in FL - Everything you learn from 3xOsc can be applied to nearly any other synth. It may seem simple but it's capable of amazing things. There's YouTube competitions where people make entire tracks using only 3xOsc. Get to understanding stuff like Envelope, LFO, Wave and Filter. Get it under your skin. This stuff is universal. Guitar does this, drums do this, piano does this(piano is notoriously difficult to synthesize).

A Sine wave has just one frequency, the Fundamental. Sawtooth has the fundamental and all the harmonics. Square has every odd numbered harmonic. Triangle wave has every odd numbered harmonic and they get exponentially quieter the higher they get.

Vibrato? That's LFO on Pitch. Slow swell? That's a slower attack time on Volume. Crazy 80s synth bloops? Put an envelope on both Cutoff and Resonance.

Add effects like chorus, reverb, distortion to your sound. Phaser can emulate a Leslie cabinet sound but take it easy.

Once you've mastered 3xOsc you'll have learned how to use nearly any other synthesizer. They all have different sounding oscillators and effects but its the same process.

It's a lot like learning an instrument. I'd say it took me a year to get really used to FL Studio.
Sounds good,post some of your songs on line I would like to hear them
Quote by Declan87
Look up the Moog synthesizer. There are many soft synths that emulate the sound of the Moog. There's Arturia, MiniMonsta, Animoog for iPad. YouTube is great for tutorials on how to approach the classic Moog sound.

Learn how to use the 3xOscillator in FL - Everything you learn from 3xOsc can be applied to nearly any other synth. It may seem simple but it's capable of amazing things. There's YouTube competitions where people make entire tracks using only 3xOsc. Get to understanding stuff like Envelope, LFO, Wave and Filter. Get it under your skin. This stuff is universal. Guitar does this, drums do this, piano does this(piano is notoriously difficult to synthesize).

A Sine wave has just one frequency, the Fundamental. Sawtooth has the fundamental and all the harmonics. Square has every odd numbered harmonic. Triangle wave has every odd numbered harmonic and they get exponentially quieter the higher they get.

Vibrato? That's LFO on Pitch. Slow swell? That's a slower attack time on Volume. Crazy 80s synth bloops? Put an envelope on both Cutoff and Resonance.

Add effects like chorus, reverb, distortion to your sound. Phaser can emulate a Leslie cabinet sound but take it easy.

Once you've mastered 3xOsc you'll have learned how to use nearly any other synthesizer. They all have different sounding oscillators and effects but its the same process.

It's a lot like learning an instrument. I'd say it took me a year to get really used to FL Studio.

I normally like to stray away from 3xOsc, but now that you say that, I will definitely be getting some practice in making sounds from now on with that. Thanks for all the other suggestions, I will definitely start putting that stuff to use and start on video tutorials on how to use the rest of FL.