Hy guys,

So, I recently posted the chords for Higher Stakes - Jeremy Loops and, in this song, he uses the chord "Gadd4". Now, when I first posted the tabs it got rejected because of this, but now it has been accepted, however I still cannot get UG to recognise "Gadd4" as a chord. I have tried to manually highlight it by typing the embedding code for the chords but it still does not recognise it.

Could the problem be that I'm using an IPad to do all this because I do not have access to a computer? And, if not, could UG fix this error by just adding the chord to the database of chords?
You use the name Gadd11. Chords are traditionally built in 3rds* so it goes "1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13". The reason you have Gsus4 is because the 3rd is replaced, but with add chords as a rule you go to the appropriate number above the 5th.

*That is, theoretically. It doesn't mean all these notes are included, but rather that they're considered implied in the context of western music theory.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Nov 13, 2014,
Thanks for the advice guys. However, I have changed it, it still doesn't recognise the chord.
I don't think you can call a chord an, "11", without having a 7th. 7+4 =11, or that's the way it was explained to me. (You would also still need a 3rd). Without a 3rd, I believe the chord would be called "x7sus4".

Also, I believe you need a 7th to create a 13th chord. Again, 7 + 6 =13.

In any case, you could likely get away with calling the chord simply, "G11", and forget to mention the fact that the 7th isn't being played

FWIW, I've seen this site take some odd chord names. The one that stood out the most to me was something like, "BminSus4. The chord is either suspended or minor, it can't be both.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 15, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
I don't think you can call a chord an, "11", without having a 7th. 7+4 =11, or that's the way it was explained to me. (You would also still need a 3rd). Without a 3rd, I believe the chord would be called "x7sus4".

Also, I believe you need a 7th to create a 13th chord. Again, 7 + 6 =13.

In any case, you could likely get away with calling the chord simply, "G11", and forget to mention the fact that the 7th isn't being played

FWIW, I've seen this site take some odd chord names. The one that stood out the most to me was something like, "BminSus4. The chord is either suspended or minor, it can't be both.

G11, G13, G9 etc would all be a 7th chord with upper extentions included. Without the 7th, "add", is used if the 3rd is included. e.g. Gadd11 (G-B-D-C) = (1-3-5-11) and G11 (G-B-D-F-[A]-C) = (1-3-5-b7-[9]-11)

The 9th, although part of the G11, doesn't absolutely need to be played.
Either way, the problem is UG as Gadd4 is an actual chord and is its correct name for the notes I am wanting to be played. So, what can I do to get UG to consider updating their chord database?
Quote by Slayer3000
Either way, the problem is UG as Gadd4 is an actual chord and is its correct name for the notes I am wanting to be played. So, what can I do to get UG to consider updating their chord database?

It's Gadd11

Gadd4 does not exist using traditional chord construction theory.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
It's Gadd11

Gadd4 does not exist using traditional chord construction theory.

Gadd4 is the same as a D13sus4/G and is recognized by many apps and is in many chord diagrams. A G11 chord, guitar speaking, would include the high F instead of the super tonic.
Last edited by Slayer3000 at Nov 15, 2014,
Quote by Slayer3000
Gadd4 is the same as a D13sus4/G and is recognized by many apps and is in many chord diagrams. A G11 chord, guitar speaking, would include the high F instead of the super tonic.

Gadd11 =/= G11.
The "add" means there's no 7th or 9th there (i.e. that the 11th is the sole addition). The 11 (as opposed to 4) means it's built on a complete triad. "add4" kind of makes sense, but it's not part of standard chord naming syntax because when the third is present extensions must be named to be above the 5th, hence 11th. The chord to which you are referring is Gadd11.

Read this again:
Quote by MapOfYourHead
G11, G13, G9 etc would all be a 7th chord with upper extentions included. Without the 7th, "add", is used if the 3rd is included. e.g. Gadd11 (G-B-D-C) = (1-3-5-11) and G11 (G-B-D-F-[A]-C) = (1-3-5-b7-[9]-11)

The 9th, although part of the G11, doesn't absolutely need to be played.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Nov 15, 2014,