Hello,

I've recently had an urge to start getting into building guitars, and I remembered I had
this old body lying around of an old Ibanez S270 (i think) which are discontinued now (i think)

I was just wondering if any of you guitar builders out there could tell me if this is a worth while project to work on? I plan on re-wiring it and re-painting it, and will need to get a new neck as the one for this one is kind of broken.

However if it isn't worth it please just let me know so I don't waste time and money. Just looking to get a start in something without forking out pennies.

Thanks!

EDIT: The wiring will need re-done as when I got this guitar, it was off an uncle who kept it in a damp room, so i'm not sure if the wiring got messed up.
Last edited by GlenGuitar16 at Nov 15, 2014,
Do you have all the hardware in decent shape? I would likely get a new neck and fix it up if everything else was OK, mostly because I like that kind of project.
Everything but the neck is intact, anyone have any experience repainting a guitar with this kind of cover? do i sand it off or?

Once I get started i'll post updates
Quote by GlenGuitar16
Everything but the neck is intact, anyone have any experience repainting a guitar with this kind of cover? do i sand it off or?

Once I get started i'll post updates

Well, sanding with like, sand paper, would be a total pain in the ass (tried it with my acoustic. Suffice it to say after a week of sanding, it still has about 70% of the finish still on). I'm assuming it's a poly finish (looks like it. Can't really tell for sure). Most modern guitars are.

Here you go!

I know stewmac also has quite a bit of info on repainting (I believe it's waterbased lacquer that you want, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and finishing Just look up toward the top at the 'How-To' section.

EDIT: LOL was looking for info on the S270 to see if it was a poly finish and ended up on the UG reviews of the guitar. This is gold:
Don't be fooled by the S2170's slenderness; once you handle the guitar, you'll be quickly reminded that it does in fact possess a mahogany body. Still, it balances nicely on a player's lap. On its own, the buttery Wizard II prestige neck is nearly worth the guitar's full retail price, the rounded contours of this five-piece maple/Bubinga composite just melt into your fretting hand, and it only takes a lick or two to start gushing over the 22 jumbo frets and Ultra-flat radius, which foster an atmosphere of bending nirvana. Whammy junkies will fully appreciate both the smoothness and the consistent tuning afforded by the roller bearings in the revolutionary Ibanez-designed ZR (zero resistance) bridge, not to mention it's handful of tweakable features like the arm torque adjuster, which lets you easily adjust the whammy bar's height.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Nov 13, 2014,
Thanks for that mjones1992

I've got a heat gun etc so I think i'll try make a start this weekend, if all goes well i'll start uploading pictures.

Also, hahaha, another problem I have with this guitar is sourcing a neck to fit.
Quote by GlenGuitar16
Thanks for that mjones1992

I've got a heat gun etc so I think i'll try make a start this weekend, if all goes well i'll start uploading pictures.

Also, hahaha, another problem I have with this guitar is sourcing a neck to fit.

Good luck!

I'm still not 100% sure on the water-based lacquer. You may want to check out some other sources on repainting or see if Stewmac has more info before diving into that.
If you are painting it, you do not need to remove the paint. you just need to scuff sand it so that the paint will have some mechanical adhesion.
This is definitely worth a shot! Practice refinishing and getting a perfect set-up, so you're ready with those skills for any future builds. There's no point building something if it plays like rubbish...
Okay, first update off my progress, I stripped everything out the guitar, including all the wiring etc.

Then I got the heat gun and scraper out and began the really boring process of taking off the coat of paint it had on (was a lot harder than I thought)

I've still got the edges to do, but my room wasn't ventilating properly and i felt like i was gonna pass out so ive had to stop and finish it tomorrow!
Once that is done, i'm going to start the sanding process, will do it throughout the week when i've got time.

Any ideas for what colours I should go for? Any suggestions?

Also, a big problem I have, is this guitar is discontinued now, will this give me problems sourcing new electrics for it etc? Or should I just try work with the stuff I had (which may or may not be damaged by damp)

Any other advice/tips etc would be great.

Thanks!
Finding components for it will be fine . Pots, caps, and so forth are all readily available and useable, you don't need special ones ( but remember you will want 500K pots for the hum buckers, you could use 250's if thats your thing though).
If you're painting it with a solid colour, don't bother sanding through the sealer... otherwise you'll just have to seal it again.
I'm currently sanding it and priming it, will do a few coats, so will probably take me till the weekend, there are quite a few imperfections, maybe down to the wood, or condition it was left in, or maybe my frustration at trying to take the original paint of? who knows?!

I'm considering doing the guitar in a nice gloss white, with strips of black running in random directions over the body of the guitar. Will probably start doing that in a few weeks.

I was looking at some custom guitar building shops etc, but none really sparked my interest, so do you guys know any decent guitar builders? I need a new neck, and I want it unique, im struggling to find online a neck to fit a Ibanez S series. I've got enough money to cover it, so if anyone knows a mate of a mate, let me know!

I'll post up a picture of the body tonight, before and after I've did its second major coat of sanding and priming.
Well heres the second coat of sanding and primer done, still many many many more, i wont be happy till this is completely smooth, don't worry, i won't post every time i do a coat, wont be much to look at! haha

Anyone have suggestions on the pups I should pick up for this guitar?

I'm playing a lot of heavy rock/classic rock/solo instrumental (joe satriani etc)
Will also jump around blues etc.

From reading the pick ups sticky (thanks Schism1985) I really liked the idea of this set up

EMG 81 in the bridge
EMG 60 in the neck

But i'm not sure which single coil to put in the spare gap.

Also excuse any cluelessness I have with all this, i'm learning!
Haven't played guitar properly for about a year so my knowledge is most defiantly lacking!
Quote by GlenGuitar16
But i'm not sure which single coil to put in the spare gap.

I'm really fond of the EMG SA's in my stratocaster.
So I may have over-reacted when I mentioned the neck was broken, infact its just the fretboard that gives the problems!

The fretboard has been completely warped, when on the neck, there is quite a big gap at some points between the fretboard and neck, now because I'm not really interested in ordering a new neck from the US, i'd rather see if I can fix this, would this just be gluing it down and clamping it until it fixes itself? or is the fretboard buggered? If so, is it easy to get a replacement just for the fretboard?

Thanks
Okay so im making some progress, ill update at some point,

Quick question regarding the truss rod in the neck, the one inside my neck is slightly warped
its bended up in the middle slightly, which i think may have pushed the fretboard out of place (which is the reason i thought it was broke)

Are truss rods meant to be completely flat?
A truss rod will flex/bend slighty, that is what they are designed to do so you can set the relief. Some are dual action and some are single action.

But you install them initially straight and then when you do the set-up you adjust it what you need.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Reckon that was the reason the fretboard is also slightly warped?

Should I replace the truss rod or just just put the fretboard back on and clamp & glue till its back perfectly straight?