This is very annoying, I have bought 4 different audio interfaces and the same problem occurs. When I connect my Audio Technica AT2020 condenser mic to it I barely get any sound when recording. If I turn the gain all the way up the recording is still extremely quiet but now has a very loud white noise along with it. I connected the mic to an amp and the worked fine. I connected it to a different computer and the problem still occurred. I am using a 2012 Mac Mini running Yosemite, but I tried it on a imac running Mavericks, and a PC running Windows 7. I tried using an Avid Fast Track Duo, Solo, and Presonus Audiobox and I got the same problem on all 3 with phantom power turned on. I tried using, Pro tools, Logic, and Audacity but it's still the same. I connected it using an xlr to xlr cable, I used the same cable to connect it to the amp and it worked fine.
Recording an acoustic guitar sounds like it has been recorded through an internal phone mic.
What can I do?
Have you tried a different mic? Make sure you have the most up-to-date drives installed as well.
You'll probably get more knowledgeable responses in the recordings forum since this is a mic/interface/computer issue. I don't know what to tell you other than to check if there is a setting on your interface that is set for a line level signal or something.
Quote by Tremolo Bum
You'll probably get more knowledgeable responses in the recordings forum since this is a mic/interface/computer issue. I don't know what to tell you other than to check if there is a setting on your interface that is set for a line level signal or something.

Sorry about that, is there a way I can close this thread or move it?
Are you using a microphone cable (the three prongs male/female on either end)? For awhile, I was plugging my mic in with the mic cable 3 prong on one end that converts to the guitar 1/4 inch jack and plugging that into the interface. That resulted in a lot of noise if i tried getting a reasonable signal.
Quote by Watterboy
Are you using a microphone cable (the three prongs male/female on either end)? For awhile, I was plugging my mic in with the mic cable 3 prong on one end that converts to the guitar 1/4 inch jack and plugging that into the interface. That resulted in a lot of noise if i tried getting a reasonable signal.

I'm using an xlr male to xlr female. It works perfectly plugged into an amp but just not the interfaces.
It's a condenser mic - make sure you're supplying it with phantom power. It needs 48 volts to operate.
check the levels if it shows up in control panel. CP > HW/Sound > Sound

go into the properties and hit the levels tab. make sure it's 100
Is there a mic/di button on your interface? You may have something switched on the interface (or its software) telling it there's a Di plugged in, not a mic. That would change how it handles the incoming signal and give you that tin can effect.

Do you have other tracks running in your DAW that are a normal volume? Have you plugged anything else (guitar, bass, keys) into any of those interfaces with success?
Quote by Sid McCall
Is there a mic/di button on your interface? You may have something switched on the interface (or its software) telling it there's a Di plugged in, not a mic. That would change how it handles the incoming signal and give you that tin can effect.

Do you have other tracks running in your DAW that are a normal volume? Have you plugged anything else (guitar, bass, keys) into any of those interfaces with success?

Software instruments have normal volume as well as my guitar which is plugged into the interface.
The interfaces do not have a switch to change between line and mic level. The one I'm using now is an Avid Fast Track Solo which has separate inputs for mic and instruments.