I've been working on my MIM Fender and I'm looing to upgrade my neck and middle pups. I put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge and it sounds great. I was thinking about putting a cool rails in the neck and a vintage rails in the middle. I would like to be able to produce a smooth tone for jazz but retain the classic fender tone for blues and rock. Any ideas? Any other pups I should consider?
which you do need more- the classic fender tone or the smoother, jazzier tone?
ah ok.

for the middle i'd just get a regular single coil, unless you need it to be noiseless (and if you do, maybe a dimarzio virtual vintage or one of the other manufacturers (kinman?) who are known to make strat-sounding pickups which are still noiseless. if you go for a rails-type pickup it's going to sound less stratty.

for the neck i'm guessing a low output single coil-sized humbucker style pickup. problem is I haven't tried very many of those, so I can't make any specific recommendations.
Quote by Dave_Mc

for the neck i'm guessing a low output single coil-sized humbucker style pickup. problem is I haven't tried very many of those, so I can't make any specific recommendations.

I agree with everything else you said, but like ... do people do this? That sounds ****in' weird to me. Maybe it's just because of my innate biases as to what a "true" stratocaster is, but I mean the cool thing about single coils is that OP could just get a RWRP (reverse wound, reverse polarity) pickup and a 5-way selector switch (which is probably what it already is, stock/non mod-ed) and keep the neck and bridge normal single coils and effectively have the option to either go full single OR full (what effectively) is a humbucker.
the problem is on the stock strat switch it wires the neck and middle in parallel, not series like a humbucker. it doesn't sound anything like a neck humbucker. now, to be fair, any of those rails type pickups i've tried didn't really sound exactly like a (full-sized) neck humbucker either, but they did sound at least a fair bit closer.

even if you wire the neck and middle in series on a strat it doesn't sound that close to a full-sized humbucker, because the construction is different (rod magnets versus bar magnets, and probably some other things too) and also they're so far apart (whereas in a full-sized humbucker the coils are right next to each other).