when you play prety hard and fast and like to use your whammy and bends..I've seen videos of my favourite players wail away on their strats (I have a mid 2000's MIM) with whammy, bends and shred and stay in tune reasonably or nearly perfectly even after several minutes. What is the best way to keep in tune. I go out right away if I use my whammy and relatively fast if I'm just playing hard and using bends. I use string gauge 10-46. My springs in the back are quite tight too.
Remember that strat vibratos are not double-locking systems. They do not have the best tuning stability because of how they're designed, so you cannot expect flawless tuning stability when using it.

There are lots of different things you can do to at least improve tuning stability on a strat though. And there are plenty of resources online that show you. Google is your friend.
There's multiple reasons it can go out of tune.

-bad nut (strings get caught in the nut and don't slide back to tune
-improper string stretching
-too many windings around the tuning posts
-improper bridge setup (springs, setting up the bridge right, tremolo posts)

IF you hear pinging in the nut when you tune the guitar, then you should replace the nut. I got a TUSQ and my tuning improved to 90%.
In addition to what others have said, a bit of dry lubricant (eg pencil lead) on the nut slots might help.
locking tuners and a well cut nut are the ticket. personally I also prefer to have the trem set to float. this gives you a bit of pull up which will unkink strings. the main culprit is going to be the nut. stings need to be able move freely or better yet not move at all. as mentioned using a nut that is slippery helps. better yet though is using locking tuners with a well cut nut. locking tuners give you the minimal amount of string to move in the nut which cuts way down on movement thus leaving less chance of binding.

there are other things you can do while playing as well. when doing wild bends you need to give the string a bit of a tug when coming back to normal position. you can also quick run you finger above the nut the little plinks you here are the kinked strings. knowing what strings are the worst offenders helps (g is a common one).

as also mentioned the stock strat trem isn't like a Floyd rose or other locking trem. you really can't go bat shit crazy with them and expect then to fall back in tune every time. you can plenty of very cool sounding fx without going nuts. taking the time and practice needed will pay off.
thanks guys. So did famous strat players like hendrix, gimour, frusciante etc use these methods to be able to stay in tune like they did? Or were there hardcore expensive methods used for them.
Quote by tyle12
thanks guys. So did famous strat players like hendrix, gimour, frusciante etc use these methods to be able to stay in tune like they did? Or were there hardcore expensive methods used for them.

locking tuners didn't come about until long after jimi died. jimi would find ways to pull his guitar back into tune (more or less) as did dave. some of what we told you was discovered by those guys some came about later. back in the day you just kinda did the best you could and hoped that the audience was on enough drugs not to notice tuning issues . if properly set up strats do stay in tune reasonably well
I use a few tips on my Strat and it works well for the tunning.

Vintage 6 screw bridge:

Only the 2 outer screws are tight! The 4 in the middle are loose.

Strings:

10-46 Fender Bullit. They fit the vintage bridge better than other brands of strings and do their job of keeping a Strat in tune.

Headstock:

String guide: Change it from the vintage Fender style to the 2014 style helps too.

Jimi was always tunning up between songs. We care for your ears was his stock phrase. Some live recordings where never released like Winterland due to tunning problems.
Quote by tyle12
when you play prety hard and fast and like to use your whammy and bends..I've seen videos of my favourite players wail away on their strats (I have a mid 2000's MIM) with whammy, bends and shred and stay in tune reasonably or nearly perfectly even after several minutes. What is the best way to keep in tune. I go out right away if I use my whammy and relatively fast if I'm just playing hard and using bends. I use string gauge 10-46. My springs in the back are quite tight too.

If you are gonna go for it big style then maybe you should get a guitar with a Floyd Rose system, can't stand them myself but they do hold everything in tune or so I'm told