I am getting a new guitar soon. I really wanted a Gibson LP Studio Wine Red but... I'm a broke student so I will go for Epiphone which I'm fine with.

There are two guitars for sale at Thomann.de:
- Epiphone LP Studio in Worn Cherry at €299 (about $372)
http://www.thomann.de/de/epiphone_lp_studio_worn_cherry.htm

- Epiphone LP Studio Deluxe in Wine Red at €265 (about $330)
http://www.thomann.de/de/epiphone_les_paul_studio_deluxe_wr.htm

My question:
Why is there such a price difference, why is the deluxe version cheaper by so much? Shouldn't the DELUXE cost more???

I've compared the two and the only differences I found was:
1) Deluxe has nickel hardware and the non-Deluxe had chrome
2) Deluxe has a much shinier finish, the non-Deluxe has a very plain matte finish

So... what's up here? Is the non-Deluxe better made?

PS: if you have any experience with these guitars please share it here.
That is a bit odd. The Studio and the Studio Deluxe are essentially the same guitar aside from the Kluson-style tuners on the Deluxe as opposed to Grovers. That could possibly explain the price difference, but possibly also the fact that lots of the newer LP's that Epiphone makes have dropped in price without losing any level of quality. The satin Studio could be an older model, hence the slightly higher price despite not being any better of a guitar.

I wouldn't get either of them though. I'd get a Standard.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I wouldn't get either of them though. I'd get a Standard.

I can afford the standard but I really just would prefer the studio. Do you think there would be a massive quality difference? I mean... even with Gibson the difference between standard/studio is cosmetic.
The Deluxe has more "bling" like inlays on the neck and binding on the body and a gloss finish rather than the worn cherry finish. The Epiphone web site calls the Studio a "No Frills Attitude" meaning a lot less cosmetics.
Quote by Rickholly74
The Deluxe has more "bling" like inlays on the neck and binding on the body and a gloss finish rather than the worn cherry finish. The Epiphone web site calls the Studio a "No Frills Attitude" meaning a lot less cosmetics.

That's just Marketing Speak for "It actually costs us less to do a "worn" finish and leave stuff off, but if we make it a trendy fashion statement, we can charge more!"

It should be obvious by now that a flat slab guitar with nothing more than a crap finish is going to be the cheapest thing going. But in order to sell it, you have to crank up the Marketing boys to call it a "Stripped down no nonsense full-bore rock and roll machine!!!!"

It's a ripped-jeans stone-washed "look". Calling the traditional guitar appointments "bling", "cosmetics" and "Frills" is MarketingSpeak FashionIndustry Fluff designed to steer a customer toward the purchase of an Emperor's No Clothes just as surely as any collection of feature bullet points. You have to convince a purchaser that an aesthetic that allows the manufacturer to eliminate a whole lot of labor-intensive steps is a good thing for him as much as it is a far more profitable thing for the builder. It's all in disguising the hook.

Look at all the BS surrounding "metal" guitars. It's front it's fashion, it's guyliner, it's tat sleeves, it's black clothes and all the cosmetics, bling and frills associated with that genre. It's just another kind.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 14, 2014,
Quote by Rickholly74

Can you show me the neck-binding on the Studio Deluxe Please ?
Quote by Akula KO
I am getting a new guitar soon. I really wanted a Gibson LP Studio Wine Red but... I'm a broke student so I will go for Epiphone which I'm fine with.

My question:
Why is there such a price difference, why is the deluxe version cheaper by so much? Shouldn't the DELUXE cost more???

I've compared the two and the only differences I found was:
1) Deluxe has nickel hardware and the non-Deluxe had chrome
2) Deluxe has a much shinier finish, the non-Deluxe has a very plain matte finish

So... what's up here? Is the non-Deluxe better made?

PS: if you have any experience with these guitars please share it here.

They are made in the same factories, by the same employees with the same materials,
same quality,

The Studio Deluxe is the same, just has a shiny finish and trapezoid fretboard inlays and not just Dots....coverd pickups vs open coils

The cheaper price simply could result from how many pieces thomann ordered this model,
usually they get a whole container just with one model, maybe they ordered two container filled up....
or if it is currently part of their 'Hot Deals' or just because the want to sell them cheaper

the Studio Deluxe is the Best Epi LP-Deal in the sub 500 Euro area, IMO of course
Last edited by paruwi at Nov 14, 2014,
Quote by Akula KO
I can afford the standard but I really just would prefer the studio. Do you think there would be a massive quality difference? I mean... even with Gibson the difference between standard/studio is cosmetic.

the difference between a Gibson Studio and Standard aren't just cosmetic at all. better materials, attention to detail and finish not to mention pickups on the standard.

on the Epiphones you won't find as huge a gap in quality but be assured there is at least some.
Quote by paruwi
They are made in the same factories, by the same employees with the same materials,
same quality,

The Studio Deluxe is the same, just has a shiny finish and trapezoid fretboard inlays and not just Dots....coverd pickups vs open coils

The cheaper price simply could result from how many pieces thomann ordered this model,
usually they get a whole container just with one model, maybe they ordered two container filled up....
or if it is currently part of their 'Hot Deals' or just because the want to sell them cheaper

the Studio Deluxe is the Best Epi LP-Deal in the sub 500 Euro area, IMO of course

Thanks for your answer. That makes sense. I didn't consider the actual economics from Thomann's side.