This Wednesday, I changed the strings on my landlords guitar because they started breaking. The previous strings sounded fine. The new strings are tuned to the proper keys, and their distance from the fretboard hasn't changed, and I've been forming chords the same way, that is, placing my fingers the same distance from the frets, but for some reason, they're all of a sudden buzzing like crazy and frankly, it's annoying. Is there a reason for this?
Last edited by ianhulett at Nov 14, 2014,
Did you use the same gage strings? Lighter gage strings might be more prone to buzz on a guitar with a low set up. Did you get the strings seated in the bridge pins correctly? It's hard to tell sometimes. Did you give the new strings a good stretch before tuning it to pitch? Buzzes can be hard to pin down and I'm like you. I find even a little buzzing very annoying. I get enough buzzes just from my sloppy playing.
Quote by ianhulett
This Wednesday, I changed the strings on my landlords guitar because they started breaking. The previous strings sounded fine. The new strings are tuned to the proper keys, and their distance from the fretboard hasn't changed, and I've been forming chords the same way, that is, placing my fingers the same distance from the frets, but for some reason, they're all of a sudden buzzing like crazy and frankly, it's annoying. Is there a reason for this?
Let this be a lesson to you not to screw with your landlord's guitar.

That being said, old strings need more tension than new strings, to bring them up to full pitch. Since they were breaking, it's fair to say they've been on quite a while.

It is possible that the buzzing might diminish a bit during the coming days.

Did you stretch the new strings yet?

Did you put the plastic saddle back in the bridge? It's a fair question, some people forget.

And do like the others have suggested, make sure the old & new string sets are the same gauge. Size is more important than brand. Besides, at this stage, it's unlikely the original packing for the strings that were on the guitar is still around.
if the tension of the old strings was higher as CaptainCranky suggests (and sounds logical to me), then it means your new lower tension will allow the head to bend back slightly (this also happens if you tune down)... a cheap quick fix is to put a tiny sliver of wood under the bridge to raise it... or carve a new bridge... but a sliver off a matchstick or toothpick should do the trick... maybe more effort if its a good guitar... but if its just an el cheapo for guests, it would surely be fine
Quote by GStringBroke
if the tension of the old strings was higher as CaptainCranky suggests (and sounds logical to me), then it means your new lower tension will allow the head to bend back slightly
With new strings on an acoustic, the overall tuning will drop for a substantial period of time.

You pick the guitar up, and it might be 50 cents down. After a time, you can stuff the guitar in its case, and when you pick it up, it's substantially in tune.
If you forget to put the saddle back in ,all bets are off.
Quote by Captaincranky
With new strings on an acoustic, the overall tuning will drop for a substantial period of time.

You pick the guitar up, and it might be 50 cents down. After a time, you can stuff the guitar in its case, and when you pick it up, it's substantially in tune.
If you forget to put the saddle back in ,all bets are off.

You know what? I think that(along with the truss rod needing adjustment) was the reason my new(barely used) seagull was buzzing. Adjusting neck relief took away most but not all of it. I noticed that it was going slightly out of tune (flat) every few days when I checked. Now that I've tuned it back up to pitch about 3-4 times, the buzzing is pretty much gone. I'm starting to really LOVE this guitar now. You gotta stretch those new strings!

I can see someone forgetting to put the saddle back in maybe if they are drunk or stoned, although I don't know why they would have taken it out to begin with. However, if you aren't smart enough to figure that one out real quickly afterwards, I don't know if that person should be holding a guitar.