Hi All, I'm trying to decide on a custom built guitar from the USA and am stuck between a Suhr Custom Modern with Gotoh Floyd or a USA Custom Shop Select Soloist,

I had a Japanese built 1992 SL1 which I was forced to sell, but wish I hadn't as it was the best playing I ever did on that thing. I like thru-necks, but have played a few Moderns and really liked the eliptical neck shape. I'd probably go for the thinest or second thinest neck on the Suhr, with the 10-14 radius. I may also be able to opt for a set-neck but know they're way more expensive.

I'm currently gigging mainly on my ESP Horizon FR2, and the only real gripe I have with it is that the single coil sound (split Seymour Duncans) isn't very nice. The alder or basswood Suhrs I've tried have had great single coil sounds when split, but not so good when getting heavier on the humbuckers compared to my ESP.

It's tricky to decide, and a big commitment to get a guitar built that may come back not as you expected it to be.

Any advice from anyone who's had a custom build would be welcome
I myself am looking at a Suhr modern, they look sooo smooth. In all seriousness though, it's your call. That's the best part about the custom guitar experience, you get to use all your experience to pick what you've liked the best! I'm sure they will put whatever pickups you want in them (actually does suhr use their own only?) but really just take the time to think what you'll like. As you said it is a big commitment which is why you just have to go off your own preferences, I myself wish I had a natural finish as opposed to white haha
I've had a few custom builds- nothing quite like it. It's a fun process, and the end result is going to be unique. (Or very nearly so. )

Playing off of metalmingee's suggestion, you might want to check out some higher-end humbuckers for your ESP. IME, better humbuckers sound better split than their lesser cousins.

To that end, might it suggest the Rio Grande Dirty Harry Humbucker, found at the bottom of this page:
http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/SubCategories.asp?ProductName=For+Humbuckings&SubCatName=HB+SINGLES

First, Rio Grande made the Dirty Harry singlecoil, which is a P90 in a singlecoil sized housing. To make the humbucker, they literally took 2 of those and wired them together in a HB-sized housing. So, in regular mode, you get a nice, beefy HB tone, and when split, you get a P90. Muy macho!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 14, 2014,
For some reason I hadn't thought of changing the pickups in the ESP as they seem to be the 'standard' setup for a lot of guitars. I've never dabbled into pickup upgrades due to a lack of soldering skills and the worry that the replacement will be worse than what was removed. Being UK based BKP would be the obvious choice as they will reallt guide you for what you need rather than want (nearly got a set for the SL1 and wish I had). The Dirty Harry looks really good for my purposes though, (thanks, one of my fave Clint films!) I'll have to investigate UK dealers.
UK? BareKnuckle & The Creamery would be my starting points.

But honestly, when I did my most recent 2 customs, I eMailed a dozen or so pickup companies and told them what I wanted, and asked them what they felt would be appropriate for the tones I sought.

Not only did ALL they help me with solving those issues, several of them offered up other pairings that they knew worked well.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 15, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's entirely personal preference. Both guitars are monsters.

that's what i'd have thought. once you hit a certain quality level it's up to you, really.
Well, I managed to try both out at Soundsgreat in Manchester (who put up with me going through most of their stock for a few hours) and have made some progress.

But...

The US Custom Select Soloist had a very noticeable ridge where the fretboard binding met the neck. It was so pronounced that it dug into my fingers uncomfortably. The Dinkies that they had in were actually better. As the shop only had one Soloist I was unable to check whether it was just a problem on this particular guitar, or whether that's the way they are now.

Has anyone else encountered this on USA Soloists? I really wanted to like this guitar, but if they are all like that I'll be choosing something different.

The Suhr Modern was really nice, but then the guy in the shop suggested I try a Musicman Luke 3, which I really fell in love with, and there was a nice Ibanez Prestige in there too. I could save quite a few £s with either of those guitars!

Even more confused now!
Quote by Funkymunky71
Well, I managed to try both out at Soundsgreat in Manchester (who put up with me going through most of their stock for a few hours) and have made some progress.

But...

The US Custom Select Soloist had a very noticeable ridge where the fretboard binding met the neck. It was so pronounced that it dug into my fingers uncomfortably. The Dinkies that they had in were actually better. As the shop only had one Soloist I was unable to check whether it was just a problem on this particular guitar, or whether that's the way they are now.

Has anyone else encountered this on USA Soloists? I really wanted to like this guitar, but if they are all like that I'll be choosing something different.

The Suhr Modern was really nice, but then the guy in the shop suggested I try a Musicman Luke 3, which I really fell in love with, and there was a nice Ibanez Prestige in there too. I could save quite a few £s with either of those guitars!

Even more confused now!

What you think you want and what you end up liking often end up being two different things, trust your hands more than your eyes as much as you can. Musicman makes some pretty good shiz, Ibanez too. Inn my opinion, differences are often subtle on guitars over $1500-2k, really after $1500-2k or so its 90% looks, names, country of origin etc, the same high level of build quality should be there give or take QC, nothing a setup shouldn't fix. By all means if you really like the MM, go for it!
Sounds bad for a soloist (presuming that's what it was), my experience of the sl1 was it was just pure creamy smooth in the hand, ebony board, no bindings. I have the sl3 jap soloist and it's more or less the same, not quite as smooth and creamy but not far away and definitely smoother than the ibanez in the same price range. Tried quite a few of them.
I had a 92 Soloist Pro which was what made me want a soloist again. Another guitar I wish I'd never had to sell