Which Line 6 Home Recording/Practice Set-Up is Best?

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this... It's been a while having lost all my equipment 4 years ago right when my band was very active. But right now I'm looking to get a home setup where I can easily record and practice. Nothing crazy or fancy, but something I can setup fairly quickly or take with me, but also something that will allow me to produce and record demos for my metal/nu-metal band, Caidema (http://www.facebook.com/caidemaband).

I'm really interested in a direct recording But I also know that just mic'ing an amp can be much better. After a lot of research for my budget ($300) I've been looking at the Line 6 POD UX1 and the POD UX2. I'm Leaning more towards the Line 6 POD UX1 more than the other. What I'm not sure about is if if I should go with the UX1, or one of these: Line 6 POD 2.0, POD XT, or Pocket POD. All I need is to be able to plug my guitar and headphones into it (without an amplifier) and be able to practice whenever, wherever (and not piss off the neighbors.) I also need to be able to turn on my computer,set everything up, load up the PODfarm, audacity and record my guitar, vocals, etc. I have $300 to get what I need for the setup, required cables and wires, and microphone if possible.

Down the line I'll buy more equipment, but for now I just need a simple "I live on my grandfather's couch" setup. Just not sure which one of those I should go with.

OR Would it be better to go with my other option... Buy a 15-30w Line 6 spider amp, buy a microphone to mic the amp, and buy a different USB Audio Interface. (All for under $300 somehow)

What do you guys think?

Line 6 POD Studio UX2 or Line 6 POD 2.0, Line 6 PODxt, POD Pocket, GX, or GuitarPort XT.
(Or if there is any other product I dont have listed please let me know)
Attachments:
VS.jpg
Last edited by Mayneshot at Nov 15, 2014,
I've used a UX1 for a few recordings but just got into recording more in recent months. Most will more than likely tell you otherwise but i'll admit it takes work to make a recording sound decent with POD Farm. I got it because of how easy it is to just plug and play. There are a few examples in the link below of what I have managed to get so far out of POD Farm. From the first recording to the most recent, I can say I have been getting good progress so far. It's nothing amazing but should give you an idea.
Or just go to Youtube to see what other guys using POD Farm have done. There are plenty of guys out there with great tones.

https://soundcloud.com/as_saints_fall
Last edited by Schecter_6661 at Nov 15, 2014,
1 - Buying a Line 6 Spider amp is NEVER a good idea. For anything.

2 - Read the stickies, all your questions are answered there.
All the Pod Studios (GX, UX1 and UX2) use the the exact same Pod Farm software, so it's just a matter of how many inputs you want on the box. I've got a UX1 and ALL sound from my computer is routed through it, not just my guitar playing but Youtube videos etc. - you can either use headphones or some sort of speakers with a 1/4" input jack, like studio monitors or else maybe you could get an adapter from 1/4" to whatever type of plug your computer speakers use. You can't just turn off or unplug the Pod Studio and have the sound go back to coming through your computer speakers like it normally would, because that locks up my computer.

You don't really need anything else to set it up though, it comes with a USB cable to plug into the computer and you just plug your guitar into it. I didn't have any problem getting it to work with Audacity or Reaper.

I mostly play blues and you can get some good sounds out of it (the sound of a guitar plugged into a tube amp certainly ain't one of them though). For metal, I find the sounds very thin, but I haven't really fooled around with that much.
I have had a UX1 for about 6 years now and it's still working as good as ever. Pod Farm is an okay piece of software, and though I haven't played with it much (I use real amps as well as free amp sims) you can hear it used in professional recordings by Joey Sturgis, such as some stuff by Asking Alexandria.

In reference to what Jack Strat says, it is true that unplugging the UX1 will often lock up your computer, but it is possible to route sound back through your pc/laptop speakers via right clicking the Windows sound icon in the icon tray and setting your speakers as the default playback device.

If you're just starting out, a UX1/UX2 is great, the only real difference being that the UX2 has more inputs (although no MIDI iirc) and phantom power for mics. (And yeah, don't buy a Line 6 Spider...)
Quote by edgespear

In reference to what Jack Strat says, it is true that unplugging the UX1 will often lock up your computer, but it is possible to route sound back through your pc/laptop speakers via right clicking the Windows sound icon in the icon tray and setting your speakers as the default playback device.

I didn't know that, great tip!
The basic edition of POD Farm is pretty terrible. There's not a single amp included in it that I'd chose to use over any of the free amp simulators out there, and there are very few I'd still use in the Platinum version of POD Farm.

Read the sticky at the top of the forum about interfaces, you'll learn a lot. Personally, I'd suggest you go with almost anything but a Line 6 interface. The price you're paying is for the software, and the stock software sucks. POD Farm hasn't had an update to the modeling in over 3 years and is basically a dead product at this point. If you want to stick with Line 6, go with one of their HD interfaces - the modeling is miles ahead of anything in the software plugin.