Poll: Which best fits the description?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which best fits the description?
Super Distortion
4 29%
JB
9 64%
Dominion
1 7%
Gravity Storm
0 0%
Breed
0 0%
Voters: 14.
Page 1 of 2
Looking for a tight, percussive and in your face rhythm distortion signal with enough mids to make lead guitar stand out that can not only handle metal but also just warm enough for old school rock like Led Zeppelin and Sabbath. Open to suggestions.
Based on that broad advice, all of the above.

What's it going in?
What amp are you using?
vague again so i have no idea, but i like the crunch lab but IIRC they are slightly lower output than some of the others.
I play a Vox AC15 with a Gibson SG through a Boss DS-1. I hope that helps
Last edited by andersondb7 at Nov 15, 2014,
In this particular situation, a better drive pedal may be the answer. I like the ds1 but it's not exactly an "always on" pedal and there's much better gain to be had from many, many other drive pedals. Not that there's anything wrong with a pupgrade.
Quote by lucky1978
In this particular situation, a better drive pedal may be the answer. I like the ds1 but it's not exactly an "always on" pedal and there's much better gain to be had from many, many other drive pedals. Not that there's anything wrong with a pupgrade.

Honestly I like the DS-1, which is why I prefered not to mention it b4.
Seymour Duncan JB, SH-5 Custom, Dimarzio Super Distortion. I realize the SH-5 isn't one of the choices, but may be an option to consider.
Last edited by breadfan82 at Nov 15, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978

totally agree. I'm going to go a step farther and say that your amp isn't exactly the best option for metal either (great amp but not for modern metal). your SG's pups should certainly get you Zep and Sabbath and work fairly well for many metal styles (mine does). the DS-1 is known for being on the trebly side as is your amp so I'm guessing you aren't getting the low mids and bass you want for a good metal sound. changing pickups will only help a little but probably not really give you what you really need.

dude keep the DS-1 and also get your self another pedal that will give you the more metal end of things no reason you can't have both on your board.
Yeah, start looking at some High-gain pedals. AMT makes pedals based on most high-end, High-gain amps and they sound very nice. They are also <$150
Why not get a new pickup AND a new pedal? I've bought many things that I regretted later, but none of them were ever anything that had to do with my guitars.
Even if you buy something you don't have a use for now, there's always the possibility you'll want it for something later.
I might get a new pedal eventually just for fun......but I seriously am happy with the DS-1. Most people r too lazy to actually dial in their amp/distortion pedal. Believe me when I say, I have taken the time to make it sound GOOD. This thread is about pickups, but ty for ur concern regarding the pedal.
Quote by andersondb7
I might get a new pedal eventually just for fun......but I seriously am happy with the DS-1. Most people r too lazy to actually dial in their amp/distortion pedal. Believe me when I say, I have taken the time to make it sound GOOD. This thread is about pickups, but ty for ur concern regarding the pedal.

you are probably happy with your DS1 because you haven't tried better pedals or "actually dial in their amp/distortion pedal."

a ds1 has three knobs, 90 seconds to adjust to whatever amp.

ds1's can be tolerable with the right mods, but stock not great.

also you are not going to get out of your amp the metal tones you are desiring.

maybe a better boost, but i think your rig isn't really intended for metal. I am NOT saying your rig is bad, just not ideal for your current needs.
Quote by monwobobbo
totally agree. I'm going to go a step farther and say that your amp isn't exactly the best option for metal either (great amp but not for modern metal). your SG's pups should certainly get you Zep and Sabbath and work fairly well for many metal styles (mine does). the DS-1 is known for being on the trebly side as is your amp so I'm guessing you aren't getting the low mids and bass you want for a good metal sound. changing pickups will only help a little but probably not really give you what you really need.

dude keep the DS-1 and also get your self another pedal that will give you the more metal end of things no reason you can't have both on your board.

+1 i have two gibson SG's they can do Zep and Sabath.

and again +1 on the not quite perfect amp for what you want.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you are probably happy with your DS1 because you haven't tried better pedals or "actually dial in their amp/distortion pedal."

a ds1 has three knobs, 90 seconds to adjust to whatever amp.

ds1's can be tolerable with the right mods, but stock not great.

also you are not going to get out of your amp the metal tones you are desiring.

maybe a better boost, but i think your rig isn't really intended for metal. I am NOT saying your rig is bad, just not ideal for your current needs.

I've played other pedals and I am happy with the DS-1. I also used to own a Marshall JCM 2000 and played it through a mesa boogie recto 4x12 cab when I was in a metal genre band. Again, this thread ISN'T ABOUT amplifiers or distortion pedals, why would I make a thread about pickups when if I was inquiring about amps and pedals? For ****s sake does anyone on UG have any knowledge about Humbuckers?!
Yes. People do...including several posters in this thread.

But also, there is a regular river of threads posted on UG by people who DON'T have any clue about amps and pedals who ask about playing metal and whose other gear not the best for the tones they seek.

So people ask those questions to find out if your pickups are actually the issue.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 16, 2014,
The thing people seem to be missing about my threads is that I only seek to Improve the fidelity of my tone, not completely change it. Like I've said numerous times, I have no issue with my EQ. I just want to get a tighter response. Since I know pickups can change that, that is why i seek information on them. So I would assume that a forum on guitars might provide some insight into the whole humbucker comparison thing.
Quote by andersondb7
I've played other pedals and I am happy with the DS-1. I also used to own a Marshall JCM 2000 and played it through a mesa boogie recto 4x12 cab when I was in a metal genre band. Again, this thread ISN'T ABOUT amplifiers or distortion pedals, why would I make a thread about pickups when if I was inquiring about amps and pedals? For ****s sake does anyone on UG have any knowledge about Humbuckers?!

yes i have them on 18 of 22 guitars.

we are trying to help you in the best way possible. no pickup is going to give you tight metal off of a AC15. a pedal could help, IMO quite a bit more, that is why i and other people are suggesting it. we want to help you best.

i don't understand the justification of a JCM2000 and rec cab. doesn't really have a purpose.

and also, yes we do. but for ****s sake why do we have to entertain all of you bitching.

if you want a pickup to throw in there, i would look for a gibson 500t. you can find them for $50 any day, they have a lot of output and sound great. thats what i threw in the bridge of one of my Gibson Les Pauls, and it came with my Gibson Gothic V. they are cheap, they sound great, kind of between high output and a PAF.

if you don't want a 500t i would go with a custom custom from SD.

i am not sure how a crunchlab would sound in an SG. but it sounds killer in my Prestige Ibanez.

g
A classic combo on guitars aimed at hard rock & metal is a Seymour Duncan ‘59 in the neck and a bridge Seymour Duncan SH-4JB.

You could also combine:

• Tesla VR Extreme or Plasma series (B) and OPUS HB (N)
  • RailHammer Anvil or Chisel (B) and HyperVintage (N)
  • BareKnuckle Nitro (B) and Stockholm HBS-P90 or Mississippi Queen HBS-P90 (N)
  • Lace Alumitone Deathbucker (B) and standard Alumitone (N)
  • one of Lace Signature series HBs (B) and Hemi (N)
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 16, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
yes i have them on 18 of 22 guitars.

we are trying to help you in the best way possible. no pickup is going to give you tight metal off of a AC15. a pedal could help, IMO quite a bit more, that is why i and other people are suggesting it. we want to help you best.

i don't understand the justification of a JCM2000 and rec cab. doesn't really have a purpose.

and also, yes we do. but for ****s sake why do we have to entertain all of you bitching.

if you want a pickup to throw in there, i would look for a gibson 500t. you can find them for $50 any day, they have a lot of output and sound great. thats what i threw in the bridge of one of my Gibson Les Pauls, and it came with my Gibson Gothic V. they are cheap, they sound great, kind of between high output and a PAF.

if you don't want a 500t i would go with a custom custom from SD.

i am not sure how a crunchlab would sound in an SG. but it sounds killer in my Prestige Ibanez.

g

What you call bitching I call defending myself. I didn't start this thread just to have people challenge me. This was intended to be about pickups and the comparison between them. I left anything about amps out of the description for a reason. But whatever I'm not here to bitch
Quote by dannyalcatraz
A classic combo on guitars aimed at hard rock & metal is a Seymour Duncan ‘59 in the neck and a bridge Seymour Duncan SH-4JB.

You could also combine:

• Tesla VR Extreme or Plasma series (B) and OPUS HB (N)
  • RailHammer Anvil or Chisel (B) and HyperVintage (N)
  • BareKnuckle Nitro (B) and Stockholm HBS-P90 or Mississippi Queen HBS-P90 (N)
  • Lace Alumitone Deathbucker (B) and standard Alumitone (N)
  • one of Lace Signature series HBs (B) and Hemi (N)

Thank you, I really do appreciate the info.
Is there a brand you like in particular? Or have heard a lot of good things about? If so, do what I did-contact the company.

I have several high-end guitars, including a few done by luthiers. When I contacted the pickup makers, they were all to happy to suggest to me which combinations of their products would best suit my expressed desires. So far, none has steered me wrong.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Is there a brand you like in particular? Or have heard a lot of good things about? If so, do what I did-contact the company.

I have several high-end guitars, including a few done by luthiers. When I contacted the pickup makers, they were all to happy to suggest to me which combinations of their products would best suit my expressed desires. So far, none has steered me wrong.

Wow thats a great idea! thanks
Quote by andersondb7
Wow thats a great idea! thanks

i am not going to apologise, but if you want pickups, i will chime in.

what is your budget? both bridge and neck? (may have missed the latter).

some of those pickups are $120+ a pop, IIRC bareknuckles are $150 a pop.

so you kind of have to weight things out.

personally i am more biased toward dimarzio, they fit my superstrats best, and my tele.

when i think gibson i move more towards SD. don't know why.

seriosly check out a 500t gibson pickup. go to a shop and play a gibson V or explorer. i like it better than the JB and Duncan Distortion.

one nice thing about dimarzio is that they offer one swap if you aren't satisfied. you could buy the pickups, not like them, contact dimarzio, and send yours back and they send you new ones of your choice. AFAIK there isn't any fee, maybe a few dollars for shipping but i am unsure.

just food for thought.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am not going to apologise, but if you want pickups, i will chime in.

what is your budget? both bridge and neck? (may have missed the latter).

some of those pickups are $120+ a pop, IIRC bareknuckles are $150 a pop.

so you kind of have to weight things out.

personally i am more biased toward dimarzio, they fit my superstrats best, and my tele.

when i think gibson i move more towards SD. don't know why.

seriosly check out a 500t gibson pickup. go to a shop and play a gibson V or explorer. i like it better than the JB and Duncan Distortion.

one nice thing about dimarzio is that they offer one swap if you aren't satisfied. you could buy the pickups, not like them, contact dimarzio, and send yours back and they send you new ones of your choice. AFAIK there isn't any fee, maybe a few dollars for shipping but i am unsure.

just food for thought.

Interesting. a friend of mine turned me onto the idea of dimarzio in the first place. I did some research and liked the sound of Dominion. I might get the dominion, see if I like it, if I don't I'll swap.
Last edited by andersondb7 at Nov 16, 2014,
DiMarzio IS one of the more widely used brands in metal-targeted axes. They know their audience.
Quote by andersondb7
Interesting. a friend of mine turned me onto the idea of dimarzio in the first place. I did some research and liked the sound of Dominion. I might get the dominion, see if I like it, if I don't I'll swap.

i like the Dominion. i played on a signature (IIRC its mark morton not willy adler) and it was great. should be good for your needs. definitely tight.
Anderson buddy,Trash has already said most of what needs to be said but I feel the need to add a bit. for starters you haven't been clear on what sort of metal tone you wish to achieve which seems like a key piece of info. the other thing is that even with a pup swap you are only going to get so much out of your current setup. as an SG owner I feel that I can give you some decent advice. the pickups in it aren't bad at all and were certainly used for stuff like Sabbath and Priest (think British Steel). some of the pickups you mentioned weren't really designed with clean tones or classic rock in mind. with this in mind that means some compromises are need. to me this means a medium output pickup which while not perfect for either end of the spectrum gives you a reasonable compromise. you then use your amp and pedals to help things along. since clean is produced by your guitar and amp and can't really be helped with a pedal (per se) then the distortion end of things is where you have to do the work. you amp certainly can give you some nice cleans so no real issue there.

as for why you aren't really getting the answers you seek has it occurred to you that you might not be asking the right ?s. ok you like your tone with the DS-1 but you really haven't said what you feel is lacking either. we can't really tell you how to fix something if we really don't understand what is broke. as Trash mentioned we get asked how to work miracles here often by players that don't really understand what the real issue is. the issue might not have anything to do with the original ? asked. don't want to give you advice and have you spend money only to come back and say WTF that didn't fix my problem you guys are stupid.
I use a single Seymour Duncan Black Winter bridge in one axe and the set in
another. Possibly one of the most versatile pups Duncan's come out with in awhile don't let the metal name fool you these are jack of all trades pups.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yes. People do...including several posters in this thread.

But also, there is a regular river of threads posted on UG by people who DON'T have any clue about amps and pedals who ask about playing metal and whose other gear not the best for the tones they seek.

So people ask those questions to find out if your pickups are actually the issue.

+1

Maybe it comes across as a bit annoying if you do know what you're talking about. Sorry about that if I've ever done that to anyone. But you can kind of understand why we do it- we'd be racking our brains and wasting our own time (and the threadstarter's) thinking of the perfect pickup when something else might be the problem.

Quote by andersondb7
The thing people seem to be missing about my threads is that I only seek to Improve the fidelity of my tone, not completely change it. Like I've said numerous times, I have no issue with my EQ. I just want to get a tighter response. Since I know pickups can change that, that is why i seek information on them. So I would assume that a forum on guitars might provide some insight into the whole humbucker comparison thing.

Pickups will do that, but they aren't the only things which will. A more metal-orientated amp will do it, too. A more metal-orientated speaker with a tighter bass will do it, too. A tubescreamer- or SD1-style boost up front will do it, too. An EQ pedal will do it, too. A more metal-orientated distortion pedal will do it, too. Etc. etc.

The reason I didn't comment yesterday is that I wasn't really sure what would work for what you want- a JB would do some of what you said, but I don't think it's tight enough for the tightness you want, either, for example. I also think it might be too middy with an AC15.

The big problem is your amp, I'd say. It's a nice amp, but it's not a metal amp.

You say you didn't mention all the other kit you have because you're happy with it.

Well, apparently not because you're asking how to improve your tone.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to bin the AC15 or anything like that, if you play a fair bit of classic rock too (and it sounds like you do) I'd keep it. Just if you really want killer metal tones, I'm not sure pickups are the way to go, at least at first.)
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 16, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

Maybe it comes across as a bit annoying if you do know what you're talking about. Sorry about that if I've ever done that to anyone. But you can kind of understand why we do it- we'd be racking our brains and wasting our own time (and the threadstarter's) thinking of the perfect pickup when something else might be the problem.

Pickups will do that, but they aren't the only things which will. A more metal-orientated amp will do it, too. A more metal-orientated speaker with a tighter bass will do it, too. A tubescreamer- or SD1-style boost up front will do it, too. An EQ pedal will do it, too. A more metal-orientated distortion pedal will do it, too. Etc. etc.

The reason I didn't comment yesterday is that I wasn't really sure what would work for what you want- a JB would do some of what you said, but I don't think it's tight enough for the tightness you want, either, for example. I also think it might be too middy with an AC15.

The big problem is your amp, I'd say. It's a nice amp, but it's not a metal amp.

You say you didn't mention all the other kit you have because you're happy with it.

Well, apparently not because you're asking how to improve your tone.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to bin the AC15 or anything like that, if you play a fair bit of classic rock too (and it sounds like you do) I'd keep it. Just if you really want killer metal tones, I'm not sure pickups are the way to go, at least at first.)

It's true, I very much want to stick to the VoxAC. and I'm still faithful to it, I've spent a deal of time EQing it and the pedal and I've damn near got the sound I want already. The thing is its just barely off the sound I want, like a nudge off. This is why I thought only a minor change would be in order, like a pickup more geared for metal. I dunno, it seemed like an achievable goal to me.

But since after midday yesterday people have already been helpful. Now I have some better ideas as to how I could go about it, and I have the UG forum to thank for that. Sure I could fix the problem by getting a little marshall combo and lay down a couple hundred dollars, but would it be worth it for the money? And sure, maybe I'll learn that it's impossible to get a "metal" sound out a Vox, but its already so ****ing close I'm willing to look for a cheaper solution to do it.
Last edited by andersondb7 at Nov 16, 2014,
well don't sell your Vox .... but still work on getting a Metal amp and have the best of both worlds with two amps ..... I have a couple nice mid 1970's Fender amps , a twin reverb and Super reverb but since joined a Metal band , still got the Fenders but now have a Peavey 6505 + combo 1x12 and a Carvin V3m head and 2x12 cab for my metal band , it's just simply the right Tools for the job .... still love the Fenders but play the V3m with my Metal band
Quote by monwobobbo
Anderson buddy,Trash has already said most of what needs to be said but I feel the need to add a bit. for starters you haven't been clear on what sort of metal tone you wish to achieve which seems like a key piece of info. the other thing is that even with a pup swap you are only going to get so much out of your current setup. as an SG owner I feel that I can give you some decent advice. the pickups in it aren't bad at all and were certainly used for stuff like Sabbath and Priest (think British Steel). some of the pickups you mentioned weren't really designed with clean tones or classic rock in mind. with this in mind that means some compromises are need. to me this means a medium output pickup which while not perfect for either end of the spectrum gives you a reasonable compromise. you then use your amp and pedals to help things along. since clean is produced by your guitar and amp and can't really be helped with a pedal (per se) then the distortion end of things is where you have to do the work. you amp certainly can give you some nice cleans so no real issue there.

as for why you aren't really getting the answers you seek has it occurred to you that you might not be asking the right ?s. ok you like your tone with the DS-1 but you really haven't said what you feel is lacking either. we can't really tell you how to fix something if we really don't understand what is broke. as Trash mentioned we get asked how to work miracles here often by players that don't really understand what the real issue is. the issue might not have anything to do with the original ? asked. don't want to give you advice and have you spend money only to come back and say WTF that didn't fix my problem you guys are stupid.

I already attempted to describe the sound I wanted in the thread header, and I'm sorry, it very obviously wasn't clear enough.
Quote by andersondb7
It's true, I very much want to stick to the VoxAC. and I'm still faithful to it, I've spent a deal of time EQing it and the pedal and I've damn near got the sound I want already. The thing is its just barely off the sound I want, like a nudge off. This is why I thought only a minor change would be in order, like a pickup more geared for metal. I dunno, it seemed like an achievable goal to me.

But since after midday yesterday people have already been helpful. Now I have some better ideas as to how I could go about it, and I have the UG forum to thank for that. Sure I could fix the problem by getting a little marshall combo and lay down a couple hundred dollars, but would it be worth it for the money? And sure, maybe I'll learn that it's impossible to get a "metal" sound out a Vox, but its already so ****ing close I'm willing to look for a cheaper solution to do it.

no worries

what speaker is in the amp?

the big problem though with changing the speaker or pickups is that it's a permanent solution- it'll make your classic rock tones worse (in all likelihood, anyway), and if you need them too I'm not sure that's the best solution.

A JB or custom 5 or Tone Zone (or something along those lines- pretty hot but still with one foot inside the more classic tonal camp) might improve things a bit, but they're also a bit of a compromise (at least for what you want)- you'll end up with a pickup which does both the classic rock and the metal thing 7 out of 10 rather than something which nails them both.

i'd be inclined to try a pedal, really, because it's a pretty easy thing to check (you don't need to do any soldering or disassembling), it shouldn't be that expensive, and it won't make your existing tones any worse (since you can just turn it off).

that's what i'd do, anyway.

problem is deciding on which pedal even deciding on the type of pedal isn't that easy since there are a couple of ways you can try to do it- you can get a high gain distortion pedal (but that might be too much), you can use an od to boost your ds1 (sd1 is pretty good for that and not too dear), you can try an EQ to adjust the tone of your amp...
All good dude. Just knowing all this other stuff is very relevant when trying to match pickups. With your distortion coming from a DS-1 through the Vox, I'd recommend the JB - from those choices.

Originally I was thinking Super Distortion but I suspect you wouldn't actually notice enough of a difference compared to the SG stockies to make a swap out worthwhile. The JB will metal up nicely but also responds very well to volume & tone pot finessing which gives heaps of flexibility to cover your smooth rock tones too.
Quote by andersondb7
Looking for a tight, percussive and in your face rhythm distortion signal with enough mids to make lead guitar stand out that can not only handle metal but also just warm enough for old school rock like Led Zeppelin and Sabbath. Open to suggestions.

this is your original post. those terms are kinda vague with nothing to demonstrate what you are thinking. now to you old school rock is Zep and Sabbath ok that is reasonably clear but what else you want isn't. you've strung together a bunch of clichés to describe what you want which honestly may mean different things to each responder. this causes confusion and doesn't get you a clear concise answer. try t be more specific (like what is a percussive, tight rhythm tone to you). I still will maintain that your current setup may make that a more difficult task than changing pickups though.
Quote by monwobobbo
this is your original post. those terms are kinda vague with nothing to demonstrate what you are thinking. now to you old school rock is Zep and Sabbath ok that is reasonably clear but what else you want isn't. you've strung together a bunch of clichés to describe what you want which honestly may mean different things to each responder. this causes confusion and doesn't get you a clear concise answer. try t be more specific (like what is a percussive, tight rhythm tone to you). I still will maintain that your current setup may make that a more difficult task than changing pickups though.

Tight is the opposite of loose. Come on, "tight" and "percussive" r terms used very commonly in humbucker slang. that's why this question pertains particularly to pickup experts
Last edited by andersondb7 at Nov 17, 2014,
Quote by andersondb7
Tight is the opposite of loose. Come on, "tight" and "percussive" r terms used very commonly in humbucker slang. that's why this question pertains particularly to pickup experts

"Pick up experts" I'm pretty sure once any player that uses humbuckers/ss becomes an expert after a number of years of having to work and change them on their quest for tone.

But "tight" and "percussive" while common words need more, tight and percussive a la meshuggah, or tight and percussive a la Death. Yes you stated metal, but that has SO many bands under that flag. The reason why you posted so many threads and haven't found your answer is probably because people feel that it isn't the answer.

If you like the samples of a pickup then go into a store and maybe try a guitar with it. I myself am partial to Seymour duncans as I feel they are responsive and have a nice mid cut. So do Dimarzios though, it's so subjective as there are so many pups out there you can get anything to work for you with eq. Listen to bands you like and see what pups they're using. If their guitar is the same wood type thats even better!!! That said, it still won't matter because the amp will be HUGE with tone.

Good luck in your journey for tone, but realize people answer certain ways for a reason.
Also include more info for better responses, only makes sense.

P.S- MOST passive pickups will be able to play the classic stuff fine as well, once again the amps are a big part of that and yours will do great in that department. Experiment with the tone knob, presence, eq in the transition between genres, it can do wonders.
Last edited by Krzy8 at Nov 17, 2014,
Quote by Krzy8
"Pick up experts" I'm pretty sure once any player that uses humbuckers/ss becomes an expert after a number of years of having to work and change them on their quest for tone.

But "tight" and "percussive" while common words need more, tight and percussive a la meshuggah, or tight and percussive a la Death. Yes you stated metal, but that has SO many bands under that flag. The reason why you posted so many threads and haven't found your answer is probably because people feel that it isn't the answer.

If you like the samples of a pickup then go into a store and maybe try a guitar with it. I myself am partial to Seymour duncans as I feel they are responsive and have a nice mid cut. So do Dimarzios though, it's so subjective as there are so many pups out there you can get anything to work for you with eq. Listen to bands you like and see what pups they're using. If their guitar is the same wood type thats even better!!! That said, it still won't matter because the amp will be HUGE with tone.

Good luck in your journey for tone, but realize people answer certain ways for a reason.
Also include more info for better responses, only makes sense.

P.S- MOST passive pickups will be able to play the classic stuff fine as well, once again the amps are a big part of that and yours will do great in that department. Experiment with the tone knob, presence, eq in the transition between genres, it can do wonders.

Yeah, there's truth in that. And thank you

To anyone reading this thread seeking humbucker advise....well, firstly, good luck navigating the labyrinth...but secondly, take note that once I play a different pickup in front of the Vox I may discover that it doesn't make shit difference (like a handful of people in this thread have already pointed out) then I can probably count on a new pedal to do the trick.
Page 1 of 2