So my band has like 1 song we play live with a clean interlude section..

I can't really play it clean because this amp only does distortion, so I was thinking is it possible for me to just roll back the gain on the amp, boost the volume and use a distortion pedal instead?

I normally rollback the volume on the guitar instead but that doesn't work that well and it's hard to get it perfect every time.
That may be your best option if rolling the volume back on your guitar
Last edited by mcamp12302 at Nov 15, 2014,
Yeah keep the gain down and the master volume up.

May not be 100% clean but pretty clean at least.
Get an AB pedal and run one output to the front of your amp and then run the other to the FX loop return. This will allow you to bypass the preamp of the amps and you will go directly to the power section. You will need to use the guitars volume and tone to get the sound you like best, but this will essentially give you a pseudo 2 channel amp with a clean and dirty channel.

Even in Australia you should be able to get a decent AB pedal for under $100. Here is one for $80 www.belfieldmusic.com.au/electro-harmonix-nano-switchblade-passive-channel-selector-pedal.html
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get an AB pedal and run one output to the front of your amp and then run the other to the FX loop return. This will allow you to bypass the preamp of the amps and you will go directly to the power section. You will need to use the guitars volume and tone to get the sound you like best, but this will essentially give you a pseudo 2 channel amp with a clean and dirty channel.

Even in Australia you should be able to get a decent AB pedal for under $100. Here is one for $80 www.belfieldmusic.com.au/electro-harmonix-nano-switchblade-passive-channel-selector-pedal.html

Would running say a metalcore pedal straight into the FX loop return also work? rather than into the input with the gain turned down?
Quote by BoL7z
Would running say a metalcore pedal straight into the FX loop return also work? rather than into the input with the gain turned down?

Isn't a metalcore pedal also a distortion?

Anyway, yeah, the dark terror amps aren't really meant to be played clean. You can turn down the gain and it'll get clean (actually a pretty decent clean tone, too), but since it's just the same channel with the gain turned way down, it'll also be much quieter. If you don't run it at more than half volume when playing dirty, you could probably get the clean to a comparable volume level by turning volume up as you turn gain down. But, if you're playing at higher volume with the distortion, you won't be able to get a clean sound at a similar level. If the amp is miked for a show, that might not be too big of an issue, as you could turn it up on the PA while running clean, but that's a whole other hassle.

Do whatever you gotta do, but the ideal solution is to use an ABY box, and run to different amp altogether for your cleans. That'd be my setup if money wasn't an issue. A Dark Terror for distortion, and like a Fender Deluxe Reverb for cleans. Mmmmm.... that'd be the tone...
I use a Peavey Stereo Chorus A/B'd for cleans.
I got it for $100 shipped on GC.

Great solid state clean amp. Sounds almost like a Jazz Chorus

If that's the kind of cleans you're after, can't be beat for the price.