I would pay all the taxes I currently do
19 21%
I would not pay any taxes
36 40%
I would pay certain taxes (specify)
34 38%
Voters: 89.
Page 1 of 3
yes because i love my city and my country and do not mind helping out others via public services such as health care & welfare
If opting out of taxes meant you opted out of things like...using the roads, using the NHS, using education, etc. then no I would not opt out of taxes.
No. If taxes were voluntary, that would mean the government was making enough money from other sources. So why would I give them my own money?
^dumbest guy

I would pay all the taxes I currently do

which is nothing anyway cos I'm really that poor
Quote by EndTheRapture51
If opting out of taxes meant you opted out of things like...using the roads, using the NHS, using education, etc. then no I would not opt out of taxes.

No, it's simply opting out. The financial burden on others for public services will just be increased. That's the point of the question.
Taxes wouldn't be so bad if a significant portion of it goes down the toilet with the defense industry and welfare.

In the future I'm going to try setting up tax deductible charitable donations of my choosing so that most or all of my federal income tax money goes to organizations that deserve it instead of going to defense contractor leeches paying off their 2nd million dollar mansion or some worthless bitch with 7 kids and can't pay for them.
Quote by Bladez22
i dont pay tax anyway

because I'm a student

Sales tax.
Quote by StewieSwan
No, it's simply opting out. The financial burden on others for public services will just be increased. That's the point of the question.

No I wouldn't. It's supremely unfair that others would be carrying the financial burden of things I would be using whilst I contributed nothing.
I'd pay some taxes if I could ensure it goes towards health and public services or research that we all benefit from and not funneling fifty+ cents of every dollar collected into the military.
Quote by StewieSwan
Sales tax.

Maybe you should have clarified that in the OP then.
All you have to do is look at Greece's current economic situation and see why not paying taxes is a bad idea.

Sure, I'd love not to pay taxes, but not at the cost of the collapse of western civilization. Given the current way society functions, we don't really have a choice.
Quote by E7#9
All you have to do is look at Greece's current economic situation and see why not paying taxes is a bad idea.

Sure, I'd love not to pay taxes, but not at the cost of the collapse of western civilization. Given the current way society functions, we don't really have a choice.

<insert random pro-communist quote here>

<insert picture of Che here>
Unless I got to choose exactly where they went, nope.

I'd definitely opt out of the social security tax thing. I only make $9 an hour and work sometimes 20 hours a week and still get $30 taken out for just that.
Last edited by Wormholes at Nov 15, 2014,
Quote by metal4eva_22
Maybe you should have clarified that in the OP then.

I figured people would understand that sales tax is a tax.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
<insert random pro-communist quote here>

<insert picture of Che here>

I'm not talking about Western civilization meaning capitalism vs communism. That shit ended a couple of decades ago.

You have a point though. I shouldn't have said Western civilization specifically, but you have to admit if Europe and America go down because people suddenly decide to stop paying taxes, the whole world is pretty much ****ed
Quote by E7#9
I'm not talking about Western civilization meaning capitalism vs communism. That shit ended a couple of decades ago.

You have a point though. I shouldn't have said Western civilization specifically, but you have to admit if Europe and America go down because people suddenly decide to stop paying taxes, the whole world is pretty much ****ed

I think you'll find that the whole world will be more ****ed. Or perhaps the lube and reacharound will be removed, or something.
Quote by StewieSwan
I figured people would understand that sales tax is a tax.

I thought you mean only sales tax. I mean, you have to clarify what you mean, especially if you're the OP. You should have responded to that with "you'd still have to pay sales tax." Instead of the misleading post you mashed out.
Sales tax should be paid because they go to the local government for essential services.
Don't we opt out of certain taxes anyway? Like you don't pay road tax if you don't have a car...
Quote by MinterMan22
yes because i love my city and my country and do not mind helping out others via public services such as health care & welfare

:'-)
I'd pay taxes but less than I do now. I think for the most part they're a good thing and the government/citizens have become dependent in some ways on tax income.

The only tax I really have a problem with is income, because they're literally lessening the value of your work.
Last edited by eGraham at Nov 15, 2014,
Quote by metal4eva_22
I thought you mean only sales tax. I mean, you have to clarify what you mean, especially if you're the OP. You should have responded to that with "you'd still have to pay sales tax." Instead of the misleading post you mashed out.

Taxes = taxes

I'm not really sure why you find this so confusing.

Quote by Eastwinn
not really a fair question.

In what way?
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 15, 2014,
I misinterpreted the question. Assuming all public services still would rely on tax payments, then of course I would pay them.

I was thinking that this was a hypothetical situation where taxes were no longer needed to provide services, and so it would essentially be charity to the government.
i think you should be able to decide where the majority of your tax money is spent for instance i'd like 75% of my contribution be spent on education and the NHS and the rest divided equally between the rest of the treasuries' expenses.
what if a city/state/country did a thing where your total income tax is calculated the same way as whatever way you're used to, but you get to control what departments it goes to? and there's a nifty website that updates figures by department in real time? i think i'd be okay with income tax then.

and then i'd be inclined to not pay all other taxes.
lets be real, if people could opt out of taxes with no consequence, 99% of people would do so without hesitation

OP, who pissed in your milk this morning?

In the UK Value Added Tax is added on automatically on the price of things when you buy them, so we don't have to sit there and work out how much it'll really cost. because of that I forget a portion of what I'm paying is tax, especially when I've been doing statistic revision for the past 3 hours. Sorry I automatically assumed you meant council tax, which is the tax that you have to work out/pay a lot more over here, and is what people mean when they say "tax" and don't specify any further
Last edited by Bladez22 at Nov 15, 2014,
i think with my income and financial situation, i might be exempt. not really sure. i hardly pay attention to any of it. i could use the extra ~$20 they take out of my paycheck, but eh.

i wish union dues were semi-voluntary. i got screwed out of some money at my last job because they were taking out union dues, but when they fired me, the union couldn't even do anything for me because i was still in a probationary period.

why the hell are you even taking union dues from me when you can't help me for the first 3 months?

edit: forgot to answer the OP. yes, i'd probably pay. dodging taxes doesn't prove anything, it just makes you a dick.

the money might not actually go to accomplishing anything you expect to be done, (looking at you, NJ. fix the ****ing roads) but not paying them is dumb.
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Nov 15, 2014,
Yes, I would pay them, because I am not a scumbag and I value the idea of a citizen being a contributing entity to its own society.
Quote by StewieSwan
In what way?

our convictions about taxes mean very little when subjected to the tyranny of capitalism
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i think with my income and financial situation, i might be exempt. not really sure. i hardly pay attention to any of it. i could use the extra ~$20 they take out of my paycheck, but eh.

i wish union dues were semi-voluntary. i got screwed out of some money at my last job because they were taking out union dues, but when they fired me, the union couldn't even do anything for me because i was still in a probationary period.

why the hell are you even taking union dues from me when you can't help me for the first 3 months?

edit: forgot to answer the OP. yes, i'd probably pay. dodging taxes doesn't prove anything, it just makes you a dick.

the money might not actually go to accomplishing anything you expect to be done, (looking at you, NJ. fix the ****ing roads) but not paying them is dumb.

Because unions aren't really interested in the people whose subscriptions pay for them. They mostly care about perpetuating their own influence, and expense accounts.
Quote by Bladez22
lets be real, if people could opt out of taxes with no consequence, 99% of people would do so without hesitation

The consequence is shifting the financial burden to others while still enjoying the benefits. It's a moral question.

OP, who pissed in your milk this morning?

I have no idea why you think I'm upset.

In the UK Value Added Tax is added on automatically on the price of things when you buy them, so we don't have to sit there and work out how much it'll really cost. because of that I forget a portion of what I'm paying is tax, especially when I've been doing statistic revision for the past 3 hours. Sorry I automatically assumed you meant council tax, which is the tax that you have to work out/pay a lot more over here, and is what people mean when they say "tax" and don't specify any further

When I said 'taxes' I meant all taxes. Income, sales, etc--taxes in general.
Page 1 of 3