Page 1 of 2
Christmas ads have been getting more and more tenuous every year, starting with the John Lewis mini-movie bollocks.

No firms seem to be in a Christmas adverts arms race with each other in an attempt to make the most heartwarming Christmas advert ever to sell stuff at their shops. So we've got this John Lewis advert with penguins/children whatever going on, Sainsburys doing their WW1 advert...next up will we get a holocaust themed advert sponsored by Tesco?

I just don't quite get it really, maybe cos I'm a bit of a humbug and don't buy too much into the Christmas hype so I just think it's a blatant advertising technique to tug at your heart strings and make you spend some money. Just annoys me. How about you pit?
My mom bought 80 candy canes yesterday and i will not eat a single one because i am the grinch who gives out candy canes.
Whilst I think it's a tad over the top (pun not intended), the Sainsbury's one can probably be excused, as it is the 100th year anniversary of that ceasefire and football game.
I thank internet and adblock for never having to be subjected to them again.

Also...British tv commercials are the worst in the world, don't know why, maybe because they didn't have them for so long. If I watch sports on SKY or somewhere streaming, I have to mute them all, they are SOOOO fuking annoying...all of them
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 15, 2014,
Quote by Hydra150
I'm not certain you know what tenuous means.

A synonym is dubious

I find their intention to sell stuff via manipulation of emotions and Christmas spirit very dubious.
It's the opposite of that though

and those two words don't really have the same meaning

thanks for italicising though
Quote by Eastwinn
friendly reminders to not donate to the salvation army.

that's all

how come?
Quote by guitarxo
how come?

they're homophobic and transphobic and it shows in how they use the money they get. when you see them you might as well pocket the money you'd normally give to them and give it to the next homeless person you pass.
whoa, wait, are you saying that advertisements are just trying to manipulate consumers into buying products?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I just think it's a blatant advertising technique to tug at your heart strings and make you spend some money. Just annoys me. How about you pit?

no more than any other form of advert

the fake sugaryness of it all does make me sick though
Quote by metal4eva_22
Ad?

What is this "the ad" of which you speak?

God damn I read it in her voice.

Between that post and your avatar... I... I'm feelin'... ...

... .. ... ... ... ..
Its not even Thanksgiving yet here in 'Murca, but between the newspaper, television, and the interwebs I've already had handfuls of ads shoved up my ass.

My workplace has already been decorated for Christmas... and it is owned by Jewish people. I don't even know anymore.

I'm gay now
Quote by neidnarb11890
whoa, wait, are you saying that advertisements are just trying to manipulate consumers into buying products?

I am shocked too

I agree with rapture tho, over here people have started to anticipate the most heart-wrenching Christmas ads and it's kinda cringey
I like the Christmassy feeling, but i do think that the adverts are kind of annoying. The one with the bear last year was good though.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Incorrect.

Clearly the best Christmas advert ever is

I never said it was the best christmas advert..
Quote by MinterMan22
thanks for reminding me why i donate to the salvation army

because you hate transsexuals?
Quote by captaincrunk
because you hate transsexuals?
and poor people (well, anyone who earns under 150k), gay people, women, non-christians etc
Quote by Banjocal
and poor people (well, anyone who earns under 150k), gay people, women, non-christians etc

I thought the Salvation Army were about helping poor people
my m3 is fueled by the tears of libtards. youd be surprised how many salvation army outlets i can hit up on a single tank
>Don't watch tv
>use ad block
>don't leave my house

I have no idea what you're talking about man.
my uncle and grandfather started playing christmas music the day after halloween.

****ing kill me now.

and i'm glad i'm not working in retail right now, because i definitely would have lost it having to hear christmas music ALL. DAY. LONG. EVERY. SINGLE. ****ING. DAY.

and i'm so tired of my family calling me a grinch and this and that and how i don't like christmas because i'm an atheist. i don't like christmas because it's a consumer jerk-a-thon where everyone spends shitloads of money on crap while talking about the "christmas spirit"

"Feed the homeless for a week or two. And when it's all over push 'em back on the street."

**** Christmas.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
my uncle and grandfather started playing christmas music the day after halloween.

****ing kill me now.

and i'm glad i'm not working in retail right now, because i definitely would have lost it having to hear christmas music ALL. DAY. LONG. EVERY. SINGLE. ****ING. DAY.

and i'm so tired of my family calling me a grinch and this and that and how i don't like christmas because i'm an atheist. i don't like christmas because it's a consumer jerk-a-thon where everyone spends shitloads of money on crap while talking about the "christmas spirit"

"Feed the homeless for a week or two. And when it's all over push 'em back on the street."

**** Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoxQ4Ul_DME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgwTe01kMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQhuoY5h2kE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2umxtA_sc
Page 1 of 2